IC-OVER-Storming the Castle(All but Dawkins/Erica/Kathryn)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Re: IC-OVER-Storming the Castle(All but Dawkins/Erica/Kathryn)

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn keep running.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

So does Alvarez
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the tower-
Flynn and Alvarez circled around the tower with Dawkins lumbering slowly after them. As they got around the curve of the tower she vanished from sight, but they knew she was still after them. Once the dead got on someone's trail, nothing could make them give up except a closer meal or a bullet in the brain. They reached the west side of the tower. The truck was visible at the helipad not far away, still idling where Alvarez had left it and with the keys in the ignition. Near the truck lay Bob's still motionless corpse and the empty fuel barrel.

"Alvarez or Flynn, do you read me?" came Erica's voice over the radio, crackly with static. "Please acknowledge. We're going to be out of range soon, so if you have anything to say, do it now."

(Alvarez and Flynn, roll Spot Hidden, again with a -5% penalty because of your helmets.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

As Alvarez booked for the truck he thought he saw something. "Flynn do you see that" he said and pointed. He turned to face his M-4 toward where the zombie was coming and jogged backwards a bit. He got on his radio, "Erica, we hear you. We were in the tower lobby right after you took off and we were trying to shoot Dawkins in the head to keep her from becoming a zombie but we both missed twice. She has risen and we are trying to make it to the truck nearby and once there we will hunt down and kill Gardner and rescue the civilian. We plan to also shoot Gardner in the head to keep him from rising and coming back. I am glad you made it out and only wish I was on that copter too. But wish us luck and maybe we can meet up with you somewhere along the way."

(OCC: If Alvarez threw a grenade toward where Dawkins is coming and rolled a success, could he hurt her? )
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Outside the tower-
When Alvarez ran past the tower, he spotted a hand grenade just lying on the ground a short distance to the northwest. The pin was still in it. He also saw that Bob had a bullet hole in the center of his forehead, which explained why he hadn't risen too.

(Since Alvarez passed his Spot Hidden roll, there is no need for Flynn to roll as well. Either of you can pick up the grenade as you run by it on the way to the truck. You may throw a grenade as your action for this round, but if you do that you will not also be able to reach the truck and will have to wait until the following round to do so. You would have to throw one of the grenades you already have, as you cannot also run over to the one on the ground and pick it up at the same time. To do this, make a Throw roll, with a -10% penalty because of your armor. The base chance is 25%, which is then reduced to 15%. You may be able to hurt Dawkins. An outright kill is unlikely, as that would take 10 damage to the head. This means you'd need to do at least 15 damage, since her helmet would absorb the first 5 points. You would also need to randomly get the head as the hit location. If you happen to get a leg hit, there's a chance you'll cripple her and slow her to a crawl. Otherwise it takes 40 damage total to drop her, and her body armor reduces all hits to the chest or abdomen by 8 points. A fairly close miss will still damage her, but not as much as the full 4d6. You cannot shoot this round, as she is not in your line of sight, but you can estimate where she is for the purposes of a grenade throw.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Flynn pick up that grenade on the ground as you run by." Alvarez then turned around and ran for the truck at high speed.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn grabs the grenade and keep running.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the helipad-
Flynn scooped up the grenade on the run, and he and Alvarez reached the truck without incident. Dawkins had just become visible rounding the north side of the tower, but she was still over twenty yards away.

Erica replied to them on the radio: "I wish you'd made it out, too, but I'm glad you're in a position to help Kathryn. I nearly ended up as Gardner's latest conquest, and I heard it's partly thanks to you that I didn't. Best of luck, both of you. Stephanie's really worried about Kathryn, but I know you can rescue her. She says hi and good luck, by the way, and so does Dr. Hausmann. I hope after you're done you can join us in Omaha."

"This is Lucy Armstrong," said another woman on the radio. "I'm one of the mechanics. I wish you luck too. Also, there's an old broken-down crop duster in Hangar 1 that we started fixing. The doors are locked and I've still got the keys on me, so you'd need to break in, but after you save Kathryn maybe you could finish the repairs. It would take a while, though. And please...tell Kathryn I'm sorry I misjudged her. I feel terrible about what she's going through."

(If you want to get in the truck and leave now, you'll need to decide who's driving. Since the flatbed is small enough, you would use Drive Auto skill. Normal driving does not require any rolls, but any dangerous maneuvers or situations, such as car chases, would.

Flynn has Pilot Helicopter skill, but not Pilot Civil Prop. If you ever do fix the crop duster, he might be able to figure out how to fly it, but there'd be large skill penalties.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

OOC: I think that Flynn is more skilled, right? And it's better that Alvarez has his hands free to to shoot if necessary.
-Let's find the missing girl!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Yes, that's correct. Flynn has 40% in Drive Auto and is armed only with a pistol. Alvarez has the M-4, and he only has the base skill of 20% in Drive Auto.)

At the helipad-
Flynn reached the truck first and climbed into the driver's seat. It was all ready to pull out just as soon as Alvarez got on board.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Here Flynn, say do you know in what direction that bastard followed?
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez climbed into the truck also and rolled his window down so he could aim the M-4 out of it if he had to.
"Flynn you have two choices, either we can try to pick up the scent of Gardner and rescue fair damsel or we can drive toward the zombie and hit her trying to kill her or at least slow her to a crawl giving me time to finish her off with my trusty rifle. But it is up to you."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Saving the living is the priority, leave the dead unless they bother uss.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the flatbed truck-
Flynn pulled away from the helipad and drove south along a road that ran parallel to a runway. Erica had said on the radio that the police car had been heading south. As he drove away, Dawkins began to dwindle in the distance. She was still walking after them, but she could not possibly catch up. Soon the road exited the airfield and turned into the main road leading away from the airfield. It continued onwards as far as he could see.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn continues driving.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez started to whistle the Air force Hymn. La la la da da da da la la
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Thanks to you i'm alive- thinks Flynn to his rabbit leg- All the others are dead, and i'm the only who survive; Alvarez is only alive because he sticked with me. Dawkins didn't believed it, and look where she is now.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the flatbed truck-
Dawkins soon fell far behind and vanished from sight. After driving south down the road for a while, Flynn and Alvarez could see that it came to an end in the distance at a T-junction with an east-west road. There was no sign of any other traffic, nor were any more zombies visible.

(Flynn and Alvarez, roll Track. The base skill level is 10%. If this fails, roll Idea.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the flatbed truck-
While Flynn couldn't make out the police car's tire tracks, he did realize that Gardner was most likely heading for Warren AFB as he had originally planned. It was about 240 miles to the west, which would be a four hour trip at 60 miles per hour. If he was heading that way, he would have turned right here. The eastbound lane, to the left, would eventually intersect with another road leading north to the suburbs of Kearney and then Kearney itself. Flynn knew that the cities would be best avoided, since they'd have a lot of zombies. The westbound lane, on the right, led to more back roads and farm country.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”