IC-UNDER-Trapped(All but Mr. Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-UNDER-Trapped(All but Mr. Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 12:29 PM Mountain Time - Deep Mole One
In the lower hatch chamber-
The lift descended about thirty feet while the passengers heard the hatch clang ominously shut overhead. It soon touched down on the floor of the room below. A ladder went up through a hole in the ceiling and up the side of the lift shaft, all the way to the now sealed hatchway.

The floor of the room was composed of white tiles, each of which had "Welcome - DEEP MOLE ONE" inscribed on it. There was also graffiti scrawled over many of the tiles, almost all of it nonsensical or illegible. A lot of the letters weren't part of the alphabet used by Western languages such as English, nor did they resemble any language the four lift passengers had ever heard of. A sign was posted on one wall listing the positions and names of the staff, and the only exit was a short hallway leading to a meeting room. Several people were visible in the room, gathered around a table and talking.

In the meeting room-
Kimberly waved with her uninjured arm when she saw the lift come down. "Hey, Sally!" she called. "Willie and I could use your help!"

"What happened topside?" asked Hockey.

In the upper lab hallway-
Ellen watched Max bound back downstairs and waited for the others to come up.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Re: IC-UNDER-Trapped(All but Max/Mr. Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael exited the lift, intrigued by the otherworldly graffiti. He studied it further, trying to make sense of it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Michael tried to make sense of the bizarre writing on the tiles. Rosie finished reloading her revolver as she stepped off of the lift, and Sally followed suit after exchanging the magazine in her new M-16A2 for a full one.

(Michael, roll Spot Hidden.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Fearlessfred »

Joe steps off the lift and glances around wondering if trapping themselves in here was a good idea.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Michael managed to find some of the graffiti in more or less plain English, though whoever had written it was clearly not right in the head. One message on the side was simply marked "CROATOAN." Another message said: "Fuckers ffuckers fuker fukkers fucers." A third message said: "The apple has a worm." A fourth message read: "Inside it knows."

Whether or not sealing themselves below was a good idea, it was now too late for Joe to do anything about it. Perhaps any survivors above might come down, clear out the remaining ghouls, and open the hatch from above, but there was no guarantee that would happen. While Michael read the graffiti, Joe noticed a sign on the wall near the hallway's entrance. It read:
"Project Manager- Alan Kirby
Assistant Project Manager- Samuel Niedler
Head of Geological Research- Patrick Craig
Head of Biological Research- David Muth
Assistant Geological- Judith Reagan
Assistant Biological- Gerald Starsia
Chief Engineer- Thomas Bateman
Assistant Engineer- Robert Cross
Steward- Randy Smith"

Meanwhile, Sally and Rosie went into the meeting room.

In the meeting room-
"It was bad up there," said Sally, coming over to examine the wounded. She finished reloading her pistol. "We couldn't kill all of them. There were over a dozen left, though some of them were on their last legs. And Randall...he stayed up there to seal the hatch. He said he was going to electrocute himself to keep them from getting him. He was bitten by one of those rats, and he knew he was going to die anyway..." The lights flickered for a moment, and she sniffled. "Do you think that was him?"

"What's been going on down here?" asked Rosie.

In the upper lab hallway-
Ellen smiled when she saw Max return with some of the others. "I've got the battery," she said, tossing it past the slowly melting creature. "Is Mr. Foo okay?"

Jenny picked up the battery. "He's fine," she said. "He and Jim should be right behind us. There's got to be something we can do about this thing." She motioned at the creature that had nearly eaten them all. "The way it is now, nobody can get past without taking the risk of accidentally touching it. Oh, you'd better go lock up Judith Reagan's body again. One of those things is inside her, and we don't want it getting loose. When you're going back, she's in the third living compartment on your left."

"Okay, thanks. I'll get right on it." Ellen departed back towards the living quarters.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Fearlessfred »

"Interesting combination geological research and biological research. I wonder what they were doing down here?"
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael followed the two women, unnerved by the eerie graffiti.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Joe Barring watched as Michael walked past him and into the meeting room. He could still hear everything going on in the other room.

In the meeting room-
Michael entered a fairly large conference room with a long table in the center. Chairs were arranged around it, several of them occupied. There was an alcove off to the left, and at the far end of the room a hall led deeper into the facility. The hall was lined with cubicle-like chambers, and he could see Ellen Cody in the hallway walking towards the meeting room. She entered the second chamber on the right.

Rosie and Lynne, the waitresses from the diner, sat at the table. Lynne had her leg in a makeshift splint from when she'd accidentally shot herself when trying to kill one of the undead rats that had been nipping at her ankles. Still, she had at least fared better than Randall. Mrs. Foo, the wife of the motel owner, also sat with them, as did Kerry Pierce, the young lady that had been locked up in the prison upstairs. Sally the nurse was already looking over Willie and Kimberly, trying to decide which of them to treat first. Airman Justin Hockey sat down, looking at his own injury from when he had collided with the lamppost in his panicked flight from the motel.

"My husband and the others run into some kind of monster," said Mrs. Foo. "Like some kind of giant spider thing. They kill it, but it hurt them, and they think it infect them with something."

"There's more like that down here too, I'm sure of it," said Kerry, "and worse! I really wish we weren't stuck down here. This place is bad, real bad."

"We can still get out through the tunnels," said Kimberly.

"No!" cried Kerry. "I'm not going back down there, I'm not, I'm not! I'll take my chances where I am. Maybe someone up top will come down and rescue us."

"I wouldn't bet on it," said Lynne, "but I'm staying put too. I'd only slow everyone down with my bum leg, and what chance would we have down there? If those monsters don't eat me, all I'd have to look forward to is ending up in some skinhead pervert's sex dungeon." Kerry looked away, moaning. "Uh, sorry."

"I won't let that happen," said Kimberly. "If we all stick together, we're more than a match for whatever we come across. Besides, what about those other girls Kerry said were locked up under the compound. We can't just leave them there!" She turns to Sally. "Go on and help Willie first."

Sally examined Willie's wound and took out her first aid kit, but her progress was slow. Meanwhile, Kimberly tried without much luck to bandage Hockey's injury. Kerry was able to help, and he was soon good as new.

Just then, a woman's scream came from the living quarters.

In the living quarters-
Ellen entered Judith Reagan's quarters and approached the open capsule. She gasped when she saw the dead woman, her skull having been blasted open by a .44 Magnum slug at close range and her brains splattered all over the inside of the capsule and the underside of the glass cover. The body itself had decayed significantly. She shuddered in alarm as she reached to close the cover, and her alarm increased tremendously when Judith impossibly sat up. Unreasoning terror overwhelmed her, but she had no time to think about it. Judith took a swing at Ellen, sucker punching her in the face and shattering her nose. Ellen screamed as darkness overtook her, and she collapsed in a heap.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael dashes for the living quarters, motioning the others to follow him. He holds his pistol in both hands, ready to shoot and/or defend himself or the others at the smallest sign of danger.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Joe heard the woman's scream, and he could see Michael and a few of the others run deeper into this place from the meeting room.

In the meeting room-
Kimberly, Sally, Justin Hockey, and Willie all followed Michael down the hall and into the living quarters area with their weapons ready. Rosie, Lynne, Kerry, and Mrs. Foo remained behind.

"Ellen!" called Mrs. Foo. "You okay?" There was no response.

In the living quarters-
Michael and the others raced into the hall with their weapons in hand. There were eight cubicle-like chambers lining it, four on each side. The corridor continued beyond, and Max the dog stood there. Each chamber was about six feet wide and nine feet deep, furnished with a coffin-like bunk with a glass lid, a desk with a lamp, and a bookshelf. The sleeping capsules had control panels and oxygen tanks.

Ellen Cody lay flat on her back on the floor of the second room on the right. Her nose was broken and bleeding, and she did not move. Her shotgun rested beside her. The decaying corpse of Judith Reagan sat upright in the capsule, also unmoving. Her brains had been splattered by a large caliber bullet, and gray matter decorated the interior of the coffin and the underside of the open lid.

(Michael roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 1/1d4+1. Also, roll Listen.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael steels himself against the gruesome twin bodies, but isn't entirely successful. Overcome with worry, he ignores the environment around him. Wary of the bodies, he makes sure to maintain his distance from the both of them.

"Stand back, I'm going to shoot them both in the head." he warns the others, pausing to see if someone will stop him.

OOC - Will I have to roll to shoot them both in the head?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Yes, you will have to roll. This is point blank range, however, so your skill is doubled. After you double your skill, deduct the -5% penalty for aiming at the head. You may fire up to three times at the same target. Note that Judith Reagan has already been shot in the head, and her brain has been destroyed. Also...)

In the living quarters-
Sally remained steadfast and looked at the women, but didn't notice anything unusual. "Hold on," she said. "We don't know that Ellen is dead yet."

Kimberly didn't see anything out of the ordinary either and was only mildly disturbed, but Hockey swallowed in fright and trembled uncontrollably. His psyche splintered, and he backed into the corner, whimpering.

Willie felt violently ill. He had seen awful things before as a war correspondent, but he never got used to them. He nearly went to pieces, but managed to hold onto some semblance of coherent thought. He looked more closely at Ellen. "Sally's right! Look, her chest is moving. She's still alive!" He pointed at Ellen, whose lungs were still pumping air.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael, ever cautious, fired a single round at Judith's all-ready destroyed head. The shot obliterates the remnants of Judith's head, slightly off center because of Michael's trembling hand. Still, the deed is done. Michael aims his gun at Ellen's body, ever watchful for any sort of undead trickery. His finger is on the trigger, ready to fire.

"Is she really? Someone take a pulse, I'll cover you."

OOC - Wow, that was almost a miss. Also, how many other players are there with me? Seems to be all NPCs.
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Fearlessfred »

Joe follows the scream ready for anything.

ooc: sorry about not posting didn't notice it had been updated.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Joe Barring is also in this thread, played by Fearlessfred. In addition, Max, played by Kabukiman, has just joined this thread from the other one. There are a few PCs in the other Under thread as well.

Don't worry about it, Fearlessfred. You weren't the only player in Under who hadn't posted yet anyway.

My Internet connection is acting up, and I can't get to Invisible Castle currently, so I'm going to roll physical dice. I'll use spoiler tags to hide the die rolls, but feel free to open them up and look at the results.)

In the meeting room-
Joe Barring ran through the room towards the hallway leading towards the living quarters. The women looked up in alarm when they heard the gunshot. As Joe neared the entrance to the hall, he could see the others clustered around the entrance to the second cubicle on the right. He also saw Max the dog enter the corridor from the far end, running towards him.

(Joe Barring, roll Spot Hidden and Listen.)

In the living quarters-
Spoiler:
Sally failed her First Aid roll: 78% roll vs. 65% skill
Kimberly succeeded at her First Aid roll: 34% roll vs. 45% skill
Ellen recovers 2 HP from First Aid: 2 on 1d3
Ellen succeeded at her Listen roll: 35% roll vs. 51% skill
Sally failed her Listen roll: 89% roll vs. 33% skill
Willie failed his Listen roll: 77% roll vs. 35% skill
The top half of Judith Reagan's head was completely destroyed. Sally knelt over Ellen's prone form while Michael and Willie covered her and took hold of her wrist. "Yeah, she's still got a pulse," she said. "Let me see if I can bring her around." Try as she might, she could not revive Ellen. "Can I have a little help, please?"

Kimberly nodded and came over to assist her. She managed to stop the bleeding and bandaged Ellen's broken nose. Ellen moaned as she came to.

Hockey shrank further into the corner, sobbing.

"What happened?" asked Sally.

Ellen wearily sat up and pointed at the remains of Judith Reagan. "She brogue by doze," she said. "She hid be when I dried to log her id." She looked around. "Did you hear dad?"

Max ran through the hall outside the cubicle, barking and obviously frightened by something.

(Max, roll Scent Something Interesting. Everyone roll Listen.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Fearlessfred
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Fearlessfred »

Foucused on what made the scream Joe doesn't see or hear anything.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Re: IC-UNDER-Trapped(All but Mr. Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael's stands up abruptly, gun at the ready after hearing something.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the living quarters-
Michael heard a kind of sloshing sound, coming from the direction of the hallway that continued beyond the far end of the living quarters area.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Michael backs away from the sound, gun ready. He notes where Max is.

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”