IC-UNDER-Truly Madly Deeply(Max/Mr.Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC-UNDER-Truly Madly Deeply(Max/Mr.Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Jim sighed and nodded. He also paused to listen to see if he could hear what Mr. Foo heard. In the distance he barely heard something and strained to listen more to it.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the decontamination chamber-
As Mr. Foo and Jim Kerr left the decontamination chamber and entered the hallway, they both heard a kind of sloshing sound coming from the direction of the shaft.

In the lower lab hallway-
Jenny and Duke helped Alice get up the stairs while Max tagged along with them. Jim and Mr. Foo could just see them leaving as they entered the hall.

The lights flickered for a moment.

In the upper lab hallway-
Ellen smiled when she saw Max return with some of the others. "I've got the battery," she said, tossing it past the slowly melting creature. "Is Mr. Foo okay?"

Jenny picked up the battery. "He's fine," she said. "He and Jim should be right behind us. There's got to be something we can do about this thing." She motioned at the creature that had nearly eaten them all. "The way it is now, nobody can get past without taking the risk of accidentally touching it. Oh, you'd better go lock up Judith Reagan's body again. One of those things is inside her, and we don't want it getting loose. When you're going back, she's in the third living compartment on your left."

(Alice, roll Idea.)

"Okay, thanks. I'll get right on it." Ellen departed back towards the living quarters.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

In the Lower Lab Hallway:
Jim turned back for a minute and then said, "Mr. Foo you may stay if you want but I am getting the hell out of this room right now." He then ran down the hall toward the others.

In the Upper Lab Hallway:
Alice listened to the conversation but looked at the melting thing/goo on the floor. She thought to herself there had to be some way to get people past this thing or get rid of this thing so we could collect everyone and go down in a huge group together. "Hey you all, here is a plan. It is a good plan, do you want to hear it?"
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo quickly follows Jim.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Alice knew there had to be a way to get the creature to dissolve faster, and then she remembered the acids they had found in the geology lab. Those would be perfect for the job, and Jenny had brought some of them with her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alice said, "Jenny if we use some of those acids that you have, we can make this thing dissolve a whole lot faster and that way we can all meet up and then as a whole group go down to face what else is left down that shaft behind us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jim Kerr and Mr. Foo reached the top of the stairs and rejoined the others.

"Hey, yeah!" said Jenny. "That's a great idea. Here, Duke, take the battery and go get the reel-to-reel ready. Everyone stand back." She handed Duke the battery, and he went into the project manager's office. Once everyone was clear, Jenny took out one of her vials of acid. She carefully but liberally doused the creature with it. The thing began to smoke and sizzle, and soon two thirds of it had dissolved. It would now be easy for anyone to pass through the hall to the living quarters without touching it, and before long there would be nothing left of the monster.

Just then, a woman's scream came from the living quarters. It sounded like Ellen.

In the project manager's office-
Duke walked up to Kirby's desk and inserted the battery into the reel-to-reel recorder. The reel was already loaded and rewound, but before he could start to play it he heard the scream.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Jim was startled by the scream but he said, "we need to listen to that tape then go back downstairs again. We owe it to the rest of this compound to find a way out in case the ground gets overrun by zombies."
Alice nodded her head and said, "I agree." She entered the project managers office along with Jim.
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo who is in the room with Jim looks around and aks, "Who scream? Why scream? Should we not find out?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jenny emptied the last of the acid onto the creature and discarded the empty flask. It continued to dissolve, and not much was left. "Come on, Max," she said as she followed Mr. Foo into the project manager's office.

The thing continued to melt after she left. Within seconds it was completely dissolved, the floor beneath it scarred by the leftover acid.

"I think that was Ellen screaming," Jenny told Mr. Foo when she entered. "I didn't hear anything else, and she didn't say anything. Maybe seeing the dead woman just freaked her out or something, but what if she's in trouble?"

While the group huddled around the desk, Duke pressed the play button on the reel-to-reel, and the ancient tape began to feed through the machine. The long-dead voice of Dr. Kirby crackled from the built-in speaker:

"October 20th- We have entered the lab. The place seems well prepared. Knowledge of the experiences of the construction group leaves the research team feeling disconcerted. It is hard to work below ground. Captain Duffy seems a decent sort. We keep the hatchway open for an hour each day to pass down supplies.

"October 22nd- We are settling in well. Labs are now prepared.

"October 23rd- We are running preliminary studies on the sample retrieved during construction before venturing down. So far, nothing unusual.

"October 24th- A number of the group have reported feeling ill and having slept poorly, nightmares. Perhaps it's the claustrophobia.

"October 25th- Amazing discoveries. We've gone down below using oxygen tanks. Below we find what appears to be miles of tunnels, perfectly carved from the stone. Not machine made, nor is it likely these are naturally formed. The walls are practically smooth, as if something had burrowed through. But the angle is strange. Perfect symmetry, a direct line to Deep Mole 2. We find slight organic traces along the sides. Biological yes, but also strangely mineral. Startling discovery. We have much to explore."

The tape was about one-quarter done.

(Everyone roll Listen, including Max.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

-Haooow!
Max runs to the manager office, barks to his friends there and then run as fast as he can to the hatch.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Jim and Alice stood around the tape player. Alice seemed entranced as if she was trying to remember everything about the tape. Jim seemed bored because this tape seemed like the endless lectures he had got back in his old life at the countless meetings for the Fish and Wildlife Service. Because of this Alice did not hear a thing but Jim sure did.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jim was able to hear that same sloshing sound he had heard earlier over the sound of Kirby's recorded voice. It was coming from the stairway that went down to the labs, and it was moving upwards.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Uhh guys, I kind of forgot to tell you that the reason me and Mr. Foo ran back here was because we heard a sloshing sound coming from the elevator and now I hear it on the stairs that go down to the lab and it sounds like it is coming up those stairs. I think we need to either run the hell away right now or be prepared to fight another creature.", Jim said. He prepared to fire his rifle. Alice prepared to fire her shotgun.
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo asks,"I notice how the acid has melted this thing. Do we have any more handy? If not, I agree, we should remove ourselves quickly from this situation."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

A single gunshot rang out, coming from the living quarters. Max darted away down the hall into the living quarters, back towards the hatchway.

(Max is moving to this thread: Trapped. Kabukiman, you may read the earlier posts in that thread if you wish, but you are not required to. Please stop reading this thread at this point.

Everyone else remains in the current thread.)

Kirby's voice continued to come from the reel-to-reel's speaker as everyone discussed what to do:

"October 26th- Smith, Cross and Bateman spoke to me about terminating the project. They believe we might be in danger. Something is down here, they claim. They also speak of having strange visions, nightmares. Something is 'pulling them' here. Smith claims that there is some kind of mental force being used on us, something psychological. Bateman suggests we close the shaft up. Insane. Of course I forbid it. Cross said that I have killed us all. Madness? Of course. But I admit my own dreams have been...disturbing.

"October 27th- Half our team in the lab, half underground exploring the shafts. The geological team suggests that there are no anomalies in the ground, but exploring the biological residual seems to show a strange composite of rock and biological mass. New life? Too soon to know, but we've never seen the like. The team below continues to explore the tunnels and has found a junction. The tunnels seem to meet at perfect 90 degree angles running north to south, east to west, and down and up! We are using audio techniques to study echo effects within the tunnels.

"October 28th- More results, somewhat disturbing. We pick up echo effects. Something is moving below. More strange, there seems to be rhythmic sounds. Like some strange chant. The exploration team returned highly disturbed and suggested that we move above ground. I have listened to the recordings and they are strange in almost inhuman voices.

"October 29th- Woke to discover that Cross had fallen down the shaft in the night. What was he doing there at that hour? We have retrieved his body and will send it to Warren. Cross had been acting erratically, but we needed him below. Now we are short handed. The team is anxious and worried.

"October 30th- Strange dreams. I dreamed Cross was climbing up the shaft and coming for me. He was a monster, more corpse than alive and his hands were like that of a frog, sticking to the sides of the shaft. He said I had doomed them all. That it was all my fault. I woke with a start.

No work below today, but the lab teams want to go below. Bateman and Smith caution against it."

Jenny smiled at Mr. Foo. "Yeah, great idea!" she said. "I've got one more vial of the strongest acid on me. The rest is down in the lab, but what I've got should be enough to dissolve this thing after we kill it." She brought up her M-14. Duke followed suit with his own.

The sloshing sound continued to get louder as the tape played and the people in the room conversed. It had reached the top of the stairs and began to move down the hall. By now everyone in the room could hear it. A pair of long, dark tentacles appeared in the doorway, followed by a giant black mass they were attached to that resembled a cross between an octopus and a squid. However, instead of one large eye, it had hundreds of small ones all over its body, and it had several more tentacles. It turned towards the sounds coming from within the room and oozed towards the door, its tentacles reaching out.

(Everyone must now roll Sanity, with a Sanity loss of 1/1d10. This means that if you succeed, you still lose 1 Sanity point, and if you fail you lose 1d10. If you lose 5 or more points, you must roll Idea. If the Idea roll fails, you can still act freely, but if it succeeds then you go temporarily insane.

If you remain sane, you have one chance to shoot at the creature before it gets to attack. The range is point blank, so your skill is doubled for this shot. If you have a weapon that fires multiple times per round, you may only fire once before the creature goes. You may, however, fire a burst now, using up to the maximum number of bullets permitted by the weapon - 3 for an M-14 or 20 for an MP-5. If you fire a 3-round burst with an M-14, you get +20% to hit after doubling your skill and you must roll 1d3 to see how many bullets hit. For the MP-5, you would get +5% for each bullet fired beyond the first up to a maximum of 90%, but since Mr. Foo has more than that from doubling his SMG skill there is no further increase. If you hit, roll 1dX to see how many bullets hit, where X is the number of bullets you've fired. If you get an impale, only the first bullet that hits does double damage. All other bullets do normal damage. Firing a single shot from the MP-5 uses Handgun skill, not SMG. If you want to use the flamer, the base skill is 5%, which is doubled to 10% for point blank range. Using explosives is not recommended, as you would be well within the blast radius.

If you want to use a hand-to-hand attack such as an electric prod, you must wait until after the creature attacks. If you want to do something other than attack, you may roll Dodge.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Both Alice and Jim stared at the creature in the door. Both of their minds snapped in fear.
Alice cried out in fear, as scared as she had ever been in her life. However she failed to understand what she had seenand she raised her M-14 and fired it at the creature. At this range it was impossible to miss the creature. She saw the bullet hit the creature and the creature had been slightly damaged.

Meanwhile Jim was taken aback by the creature but not driven insane. He thought about dodging but then figured he was a dead man anyway and so pulled his pistol and hit very hard! He took aim again even though he knew that he could be dead before getting a chance to fire.

[OOC: Edited by Keeper at player's request.]
Last edited by Mr Zombie killer on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(You do still need to roll to hit, even if your effective skill is 100% or more. There are two reasons for this. First, if you roll the Malfunction number or higher - 100 for a .44 Magnum - then you miss and something worse may happen too. If you roll 1/5 or less of your modified skill, you get an impale and do extra damage - an additional 1d10+1d4+2 for a .44 Magnum. A critical hit may have other effects as well, if you're lucky enough to get one. His base chance to hit is 69% since a .44 Magnum comes with a built-in penalty, so this becomes 138% when doubled. A roll of 27 or less will be an impale.

Alice just lost at least 20% of her Sanity, so she will get an indefinite insanity - if she survives this encounter. Her rifle is an M-14, not an M-1.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

(occ-So did I just lose Alice and will be unable to play her again? If that is the case I am taking her stats and stuff off my character sheet I have saved and if that is the case can I pick someone else to play?)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(No, you're still playing Alice, and she can still act freely. Characters that go indefinitely insane don't become NPCs, they just have long-term mental illnesses. I'll let you know what hers is if she survives this. Your Sanity has to drop all the way to 0 to become an NPC, and while she's had a most impressive plunge from a starting Sanity of 65 to her current level of 37, she still has a long way to go to hit rock bottom.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”