IC-UNDER-Truly Madly Deeply(Max/Mr.Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC-UNDER-Truly Madly Deeply(Max/Mr.Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Jim said, "I think we should go to the lab across the way then move back towards this point before we go further below." Alice agreed.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Max is looking at the door at the end of the hall and says with all the hostility he can and showing his teeths:
-Rof, Rof, grrrrr!
stompie
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by stompie »

Duke kneels, grabbing a 1911 in each hand, safeing the weapons, he slides them under his belt, grips facing opposite ways, on his obliques. he grabs a few magazines for the weapons.

"Remember all of those zombie movies? Ya' know how theirs always the guy that screws everyone over? I vote we find him first, and plug him in the ass... Agreed?"

He kneels over, and examines the flame thrower. "Hmm....Don't know if I can even use this damn thing..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Remember that Duke does not have any skill points in Handgun, and the base skill level is 20%.)

In the armory-
Duke took the last two pistols and several magazines, loading one into each pistol.

"I'm way ahead of you," said Mr. Foo, hefting the flamer experimentally. "I already plugged him in the ass. That was Buzz, the skinheads' leader after Horst died, and Baldwin took care of Horst first. I doubt any of us really knows how to use this weapon, but there are a few tricks that can make it easier to hit with. It's easier to hit when something's close to you. Also, the creature we fought got pretty big, and it's easier to hit a larger target. Firing it down a narrow, enclosed space such as a corridor would also improve one's chances. Further, if it's stunned from that electric prod it should be much easier to hit." He took the flamer and left the armory. "Come along, let's examine the other lab."

In the lower lab hallway-
Jenny petted Max. "I think he's telling us not to go in there," she said. "Can't say as I blame him. I'm keen to check out the other lab, anyway. Let's go."

In the geology lab-
Jenny and Mr. Foo followed Alice and Jim Kerr into the lab they hadn't explored yet. There were several tables with geological equipment. There were rows of test tubes filled with various chemicals, as well as various scientific apparatus, such as a big X-Ray machine, a Geiger counter, a centrifuge, and numerous microscopes. There were also several cabinets and closets present, and a refrigeration chamber. Much of the lab's contents were scattered on the floor and damaged, and the floor was littered with broken glass in places. On top of one table was a round, somewhat oval-shaped rock. In addition, there was a desk in the lab with various folders and papers on top.

(Duke and Max may enter the lab and look around if they wish. Everyone let me know what you want to examine, and feel free to make a Spot Hidden roll.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Jim and Alice both looked around the lab for clues. Both appeared to find something. They informed Mr. Foo that they had found something interesting and called him over.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Let me know what each of them was examining, and I'll tell you what you found out. Each of your characters can look at two things in the lab this round.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alice walked over to the desk and rifled through it. She then walked over to the x ray machine and looked at it.
Jim walked over to the rock and looked at it before going over to the closet and looking through that.

(OCC-That is what they found)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the geology lab-
Alice found many reports on the desk describing various geological samples. Most of these samples were normal, inorganic minerals, but two reports discussed organic samples:
(1) Sample 23B- I have yet to discover the nature of the creature that bored the rock sample. The hole is neat and clean, cleaner than any drill I am aware of. The rock seems hollow inside, consistent with other findings. I suspect something lived inside this rock and then, when properly matured, escaped by creating this narrow hole through the rock's shell. It is possible that something tried to enter the rock and consume what was inside. Other substances suggest that the rock contains some substance that has been removed. Did something enter the rock to consume what was inside, or did something consume what was inside and then escape? Is this an egg?

(2) Sample 44A- A study of the viscous materials on the sides of the chamber below was thought to be wholly inorganic. Early reports suggest it is somewhat like a petroleum substance, created by carbon based life forms but transformed over time into a form of fuel. I am less convinced since Judith's infection. Dr. Muth says that since her infection something is growing inside of her. Further tests suggest an organic substance within the substance itself, something microscopic but transformative. It is difficult to make sense of this. I am having trouble concentrating. Is it alive?
The X-Ray machine was rather sophisticated for 1960s technology, and was used to analyze rock samples of varying sizes, even something the size of a small boulder. It was still functional.

Jim Kerr noticed that the rock was cracked and was pierced at the top by a small, narrow hole. After comparing notes with Alice, it was evident that this rock was Sample 23B, and it did seem rather like an egg. Peering through one of the closets, he found glass containers of various chemicals.

"Fascinating," said Mr. Foo as he reviewed the notes. "That egg-like rock - could it be what birthed the creature? Or did it hatch something else entirely?"

Jenny Cooper walked over to the rows of chemicals and looked over the labels. "H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub], HCl...these chemicals are all acids! That one's sulfuric, this one's hydorchloric...I'm no geologist, but I imagine they're used to dissolve rock. They're dangerous to have around, but they could be very useful."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Max is smeling and looking for something interesting to play with.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the geology lab-
Jenny moved several of the glass vials aside. "These are the strongest acids," she said, taking two of them. "If you're going to carry any, be very careful with them. They'll burn right through you if you get any of it on you, or if the glass breaks. If that happens, you need to wash it off with lots of water. There are some emergency showers in this lab for just that purpose." She pointed them out.

"I'll pass, thank you," said Mr. Foo. "So, shall we explore the decontamination chamber next?"

(There are 8 more vials of very strong acid left if you wish to take any, as well as a whole bunch of weaker acids. As stated in the Rules and Guidelines thread under Injuries and Healing, very strong acid does 1d6 damage per round of significant exposure. Strong acid does 1d4, and weak acid does 1d3-1. If you want to take any of the other acids, Jenny will point out which are strong and which are weak.)

In the lower lab hallway-
Max could only smell the same scents he had detected before, and he found nothing that looked like he could play with it in the hall, the armory, or the labs - unless he counted his friends, of course. The weapons in the armory and the chemicals in the labs were far too dangerous to be used as toys.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Rof, rof (anoyed).
Max goes to a corner and get the more confortable as possible.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alice and Jim said, "Lets go continue the exploring. We are both ready."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Wimrock, you can start posting for Mr. Foo - and your other characters in their threads - any time you're ready. He can go into the decontamination chamber with the others and look around if you wish.)

In the geology lab-
"Okay," said Jenny. "I'm a little worried about whatever Max noticed in there, but I think I'll be okay if you guys are with me. Hey, I'm the one who wanted to come down here in the first place, right?" She followed Jim and Alice through the hall and into the open door at the far end.

In the decontamination chamber-
This small chamber looked very technologically advanced for its day. It resembled an airlock more than anything else, except that both the door they had entered through and the door at the opposite end were open at the same time. The room could fit up to nine men, though that would have been a tight squeeze. With just the small party of explorers, there was room to move around. There were a variety of sprays and checks for various hazardous biological, chemical, and radiological substances, and it could even be used as a decompression chamber. A Geiger counter was also present for people to check each other. A dozen full body suits resembling space suits from the early days of the space program hung from a rack, with bulky boots and gloves as part of the outfit. They were enclosed in rubbery plastic, and they had oxygen masks, air hoses, air tanks, and other apparatus. Each had a nametag on it.

There were also another electric prod and improvised flamer lying on the floor.

(Everyone who enters the room roll Spot Hidden.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo carefully searches for any hidden things in the room.(he got a 65 roll)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mr. Foo noticed that the suit labeled "Judith Reagan" - the name of the infected woman they had found in the living quarters - had holes burnt through one of the gloves, as if by acid. Similar burns were on the soles of the boots of the two suits labeled "Craig" and "Niedler". The other suits were all intact.

Duke followed the others into the chamber and picked up the electrical prod.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Jim looked around the room to see if he could find anything of interest. He also kept his ears open to see if he heard anything. But not only did he not find anything but the area was silent as the grave, he just hoped not his grave.

Meanwhile Alice asked Mr. Foo, "Tell me were you in the army or special forces in China or something?"
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo raised his hand to indicate he did not wish to respond to Alice. 'Jim, I think it might be good to take one of the suits without holes, if you think it might have some armour effect against bites from the zombies.' He glared at the lady to emphasize his lack of desire to speak to her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The suits were rather bulky. It would extremely difficult to carry one around except by wearing it, and even then it would restrict one's movement. Judging by the holes in three of the suits, they could be breached. They seemed primarily designed to protect against environmental contaminants, and had very limited physical protection.

(Everyone roll Idea. The suits, if worn, provide only 1 point of armor, but they provide it over the entire body. They also have severe penalties to various skills. Anyone wearing a suit has -20% to Climb, Dodge, Jump, Swim, Throw, and all Melee/Parry skills, as well as -10% to Listen and Spot Hidden. It will also reduce your effective Dex by 4 while worn.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alice stared at Mr. Foo and said, "Fine don't answer my question then mr rude man."

She moved away from Mr. Foo and tried to think about what to do in regards to the suits. "Well here's an idea then", she said.

Jim meanwhile was looking at the suits and running his fingers through some of the holes. He also tried to think what to do in regards to the suits. "Or here is another idea that may work", Jim said.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(I forgot to mention, the suits also give a -20% penalty to Hide and Sneak. It's hard to be stealthy while you're wearing one.)

Both Alice and Jim Kerr noticed that the burn marks and holes on the suits resembled the burns on their clothes where the creature's tentacles had grabbed them and burned through them to touch their skin. It also occurred to them that the suits hadn't done the scientists any good and were probably more trouble than they were worth.

Jenny Cooper glanced nervously at the door at the far end of the chamber. "Well, that's the only place down here we haven't explored yet," she said. "I know Max didn't want us to come in here - he's still waiting out in the hall. I don't know, maybe he's got a point."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”