IC-UNDER-Truly Madly Deeply(Max/Mr.Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC-UNDER-Truly Madly Deeply(Max/Mr.Foo/Alice/Jenny/Duke/Jim)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

(Do we get to roll the long term sanity or is that only a privalge that you get to do. I ask since I and I think a few others, roll what occures on temp insanty for instance one of my current characters going nuts and licking a wall currently.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

(You can usually roll for temporary insanity if you like, but indefinite insanity is something I come up with that fits the situation that induced the Sanity loss and is not random. Temporary insanity may be random since it's over quickly, but indefinite insanity is something that affects a character for a long time.

By the way, I'm still waiting for that Handgun roll for Jim Kerr.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Done fired, missed, and edited my post above to reflect that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Actually, that turned out to be a hit because your skill is doubled at point blank range. You would only have missed on 100.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

9Okay well, can you roll damage then for me or find the original damage done at invisible castle and place it back into the post. I am not feeling well as I am very tired because of personal reasons and work.0
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo remained sane. He rolled a 60. Link=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1556197/.
Mr. Foo shoots a 20 round burst from his SMG. He rolls a 91. Link=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1556206/
He rolled a 15. Link=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1556208/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Mr. Foo's roll for the number of bullets that hit and damage weren't done correctly. There was a constant value of 15 rather than a number of dice. I'll roll 1d20 for the number of bullets that hit the creature and then 1d10 per bullet that hits. All told, it was a whopping 129 damage. Combined, everyone did 175 points of damage with gunfire this round. Not too shabby. You'd think that would be enough...)

In the project manager's office-
Mr. Foo sprayed lead at the giant black squid, amazingly hitting with every single bullet, impacting it heavily enough to kill ten average people! Duke cried out in fear when he saw it, his mind blasted. He knew things just like this creature had slaughtered the Deep Mole scientists, and that he and his friends would be next. He dropped to the floor and curled up into a ball, waiting for the end to come. Jenny screamed too, but her senses did not enitrely desert her. She pointed her M-14 at it and sent a burst straight at it. Two bullets hit it and punched massive holes in it.

The horrid thing had been perforated nearly 25 times, and it looked like there was more hole than creature. And then, in just a few terrible seconds, all of the holes closed up, leaving it apparently unharmed in the slightest after that deadly fusilade. It surged through the doorway and into the room towards the frightened humans within and two of its slim legs whipped out at Jenny and Jim Kerr. The one it sent at Jenny got entangled amongst its other appendages, but the other snaked around Jim's waist and seized him. A familiar, painful burning sensation hit him as the strange substance burned into his clothes and skin.

Another pair of legs lashed out at Jenny and Mr. Foo, grabbing both of them around the waist as well. They too felt the burning in their abdomens. Two more legs slithered towards Alice and Duke. It took hold of Alice, but failed to grab onto Duke because he had fallen to the floor. Alice was also wracked by pain, worsening her already severe injuries and causing her to black out.

Finally, the thing completely engulfed Jim Kerr. He was encased in darkness, and the burning he felt got worse as it began to digest him. He was still conscious and aware of every agonizing sensation, but he was completely paralyzed.

During the fight, the tape recording droned on: "November 1st- Retrieved organic samples from below. Judith Reagan apparently has given herself some kind of infection when working with the substance and is being watched carefully by Muth. She claims to be suffering body aches and has a strange fever. Bateman claims he is hearing something over microphones. He says it's like chanting. We tried to record but got nothing on our reel to reel."

(...but you'd be wrong! :twisted: Alice, Jim Kerr, and Duke are unable to act and out of the fight, leaving only Jenny and Mr. Foo active. Sorry, but that's the way the dice fell. Mr. Foo, you may use either the MP-5 or the flamethrower before the creature attacks again. The MP-5 has 11 bullets left, but after last time it occurs to you that it might not be too effective. The flamethrower has a base skill of 5%, but this is doubled to 10% because of point blank range and doubled again to 20% thanks to the close confines of the room. It does 2d6 damage if you hit. It malfunctions on a 93 or higher, and malfunctions from a flamethrower can be very bad.

If you wish to attack in another way or do anything else, you must wait until after the creature attacks. Let me know if this is the case, and I'll roll the creature's attacks for the following round. Mr. Foo has been grabbed and cannot flee unless he can break free of the thing's grip - or kill it somehow.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
wimrock
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by wimrock »

Mr. Foo uses his flamethrower. Rolls a 13.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1563006/
OOC- Mr. Foo knows some occult stuff. Can he try a chant of protection and/or damage to the creature?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Mr. Foo's occult knowledge does not actually give him any working spells. He can do some mystical Chinese chant, but it won't actually protect him or increase the damage he causes. Nice roll, by the way. Too bad it makes Mr. Foo target #1 for the creature...)

Jenny Cooper and Mr. Foo heard Michael call from the living quarters: "Hey! Whoever that is, we're over here and we have guns!" Joe Barring shouted from much closer: "What are you shooting at?"

Mr. Foo chanted something in Chinese as he unleashed a torrent of flame from the nozzle of the improvised flamer, striking the creature and burning it somewhat. The tentacles that had gripped him, Alice, and Jenny got singed and charred, and they shriveled up and released them all. The flames had caused some damage to it, but it was far from dead.

Its tentacles shifted, becoming shorter and harder as new ones began to emerge from the creature's body. One of them reached out and smacked Mr. Foo fairly hard on the right leg. His many years finally caught up with him, and the shock of the impact rendered him unconscious. The flamethrower fell at his feet.

Three more tentacles reached out and snagged Mr. Foo, Jenny, and Duke. Jim Kerr could feel the weight of the creature start to crush him.

Joe Barring ran into view out in the hall. Kimberly, Sally, Ellen, Hockey, and Willie were with him.

"It's another of those monsters!" called Jenny, her voice full of terror. "Guns don't hurt it! Fire, acid, electricity, and water do!" She slung her M-14 on her back and took out her remaining flask of acid. She flung it at the thing with all her might, but her throw was off and it shattered harmlessly on the wall. "There's more acid downstairs in the geology lab, and another flamer in the decontamination chamber!"

Meanwhile, Kirby continued to speak: "November 2nd- The hatch has been locked down by order of General Grey. Some of us were very upset about this, protested to the soldiers above, cursing them for leaving us here, trapping us. Craig tried to shoot the hatch, but it's bullet proof and he nearly wounded one of the team. But most of us seem resigned, as if we should have expected this to happen. No further information is coming. Duffy seems equally concerned and uncertain, but is following orders. What did they find? Niedler and Muth had a fight in the meeting room afterwards. Bateman says it's the things below. The thing? What thing? Everyone on edge, acting strangely. I have contacted Grey and Warren. They claim that by order of the President the lab needs to be placed into quarantine. He informs us that we are to continue to report our findings."

(All of the PCs are currently out of the fight. They're still alive, but two of them have been knocked out, one is temporarily insane, and another is paralyzed while being slowly consumed. Whether or not they survive depends on the other characters. Keep following this thread, and I'll let you know if and when you can act again.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jenny watched in horror as the creature's tentacles become more slender and elongated. They slithered out of the open office door with amazing speed and lashed out at her friends. Three of them managed to wrap themselves around the legs of Joe, Kimberly, and Ellen Cody, bringing them down, but she was relieved to see that Sally, Hockey, and Willie managed to avoid the tentacles and get downstairs without being touched. Inside the monster's gut, Jim felt the crushing and burning getting worse.

Jenny was afraid, but she knew that until the others returned with weapons that could hurt this thing, it was all up to her. "The geology lab is on the right!" she called. "I set aside the strongest acids. The flamer's straight ahead! Hurry!" I have to be the hero, she thought, seizing the dropped flamethrower near Mr. Foo with grim determination. Everyone's life depends on me. She sprayed the thing with fire. The flames only singed it around the edges, but its tentacles instantly released everyone they had grabbed and it did seem to be weakening some. "Yeah!" she cheered. Stephanie would be so proud! she thought. I'm glad she's on her way to Omaha and not here to see this, though.

The tape recording continued to play: "November 3rd- I accepted and gave authorization orders to put Judith Reagan under sedation. Muth believes she suffers an infection and that it might be dangerous. He is conducting a study and will take X-rays. Bateman and Smith refuse to go below. I don’t blame them. I suspect there is something down there. And it knows about us and is displeased. I have heard the chanting now. When I close my eyes it is in my head. The others are not arguing about this. The elevator seems to be non-functioning. I suspect sabotage. I report all to Warren. They have been listening but can offer little help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jenny sprayed another gout of flame at the monster, only for the flamer to sputter and die. "No!" she cried, staring in horror at the failed improvised gadget in her hands and the creature poised to attack her. A tentacle whipped out and smacked her across the belly, but not as hard as it could have. She cried out in pain, but remained standing.

Inside the creature, Jim Kerr was getting crushed even worse. He felt his ribcage starting to yield under the intense strain.

Three more tentacles out in the hall lashed out at the three people there. One of them snagged Ellen again, and she had no chance to escape. Another got tangled up in a failed effort to grab Kimberly with the third tentacle that had been grasping for Joe Barring. Both of them made it downstairs.

Michael, Rosie, and Lynne hurried into the hall, with Kerry and Mrs. Foo following them. All of them caught sight of the creature as they passed the open door - and it saw them too!

Kirby's voice kept speaking on the reel-to-reel: "November 4th- I don't go near the shaft. Every time I close my eyes for more than a few moments I dream of Cross in the shaft, coming up like some mixed amphibian man. Everyone is working to understand what we've found. Organic and inorganic substances. Biological in some ways but inorganic in others. Whatever they are, they are large and they are below us. Some of us are of the feeling that we need to confront them, to fight them. Bateman blames me for not abandoning the project. He says I have doomed them but now we must fight. That we have no choice. It's this place, it must be. Or maybe it's them. Starsia has a theory and is scared. We continue to send our reports. Warren has not been responsive. They only ask that we continue to report."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

IS there a way that Jim can try to get out of the creature or is he just going to be continued eaten until either he or it dies?
-steve
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Unfortunately, there's nothing Jim can do. He has to wait until either he or the creature dies, and he will die first, barring a miracle. He took 1 damage the round after being swallowed, 2 the next round, and so on. This round he just took 4, and next round he will take 5 and die.)

In the creature's gut, Jim Kerr felt a sharp, intense pain as two of his ribs snapped. He blacked out, sparing himself further agony.

With a surge of adrenalin, Ellen Cody somehow broke free of the tentacle's grip and broke for the stairs at around the time the others entered the hall. Rosie barely kept it together, but Lynne freaked out, stunned by the horror in the office. Knowing she and all her friends were doomed, she went limp. Mrs. Foo did not waver much. Kerry, however, was terrified, being reminded of something she had seen in the tunnels. Her sense of self-preservation kicked in, though, and she hurried on.

The abomination sent forth two more tentacles, which thickened as they swept at their targets. One seized Jenny, who failed to get out of its way. The other missed Lynne badly. One more tentacle tied itself in knots going after Kerry. Yet another one tried to grab Ellen, who barely escaped its grasp.

Three new tentacles slid out of the office. The first wrapped itself around Lynne several times, and she offered no resistance. The next just barely found Kerry, and she nimbly hopped over it before it could touch her. The last one nearly recaptured Ellen, but she evaded it. She followed Kerry and Michael, helping Mrs. Foo downstairs.

"Lynne!" cried Rosie, trying to pull the other waitress free of the tentacle without success. "I'll come back, I promise!" She too fled downstairs.

In the office, Jenny dropped the flamethrower and desperately crawled over to where Duke lay curled up in the corner. With the tentacle wrapped around her legs it was hard for her to make any progress, and she couldn't free herself, but by stretching out her arm to its utmost she managed to wrap her fingers around his electrical prod.

Kirby's recorded voice continued: "November 5th- Bateman is working on the shaft, thinks he can have it fixed. Everyone on edge, expecting something. Starsia claims that what is below has a psychological power, some form of mind control. What if it comes to the surface? What if these things are even now beneath our cities? We are busy working and most of us try not to sleep, only getting a few hours. When we sleep we dream and when we dream…… I see Cross. Judith has been sedated and placed in a chamber. Muth claims there is something inside her, like a tapeworm that is growing inside the walls of her stomach. The capsules allow us to slow down body functions of those inside, thereby allowing those in the capsules a greater chance of rescue. Her heart rate has been slowed, but we can only sustain her in this way for three months before oxygen runs out. We can attempt a freeze. It's been tried before, but only on animals. I am not sure. I'm scared. I think we don't have much time. Warren is silent."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jim Kerr was thankfully unconscious when the creature that had eaten him finally crushed him to death, shattering his ribcage. With his life snuffed out, it was easily able to finish digesting him.

(Jim Kerr is dead, but don't let the other players know yet. Mr Zombie killer, you might want to start thinking about a replacement character, especially since things don't look so good for Alice either, but there's no rush. You may want to wait until you see which characters in Under survive this.

Everyone is moving to this thread: In Too Deep)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”