IC-OVER-The Tower(Gardner/Flynn/Dawkins/Alvarez/McCoy)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

IC-OVER-The Tower(Gardner/Flynn/Dawkins/Alvarez/McCoy)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Z-Day - 2:10 PM Central Time - Control Tower, airfield 10 miles SW of Kearney, Nebraska
In the control room-
Kathryn McCoy sat at her station in the control room on the top floor of the air traffic control tower where she worked. An angled glass window provided a panoramic 360-degree view of the airfield and surrounding area. About a hundred yards to the north of the tower stood a line of five hangars, and beyond them was a lake. This lake had become the watery grave of Flight 48 out of Anchorage, which had gone down a couple of hours ago during its final approach. The plane had represented the only hope the National Guardsmen in the room had of getting out of this place by air - at least until they had received the radio message from Erica Spears.

To the south and west of the tower, the runways stretched off into the distance. There were a couple of helicopter landing pads as well, one of them just twenty yards west of the tower. Off to the east were a few warehouses that stored fuel and other supplies.

The room itself was circular, surrounding a central elevator shaft and stairway. The elevator went down to the other floors of the tower, and the narrow, steep stairs not only climbed down but also up to the roof where Private Simone Dawkins had made her sniper's nest.

Corporal Anthony Gardner stood behind Kathryn McCoy, watching over her shoulder. Senior Airman Harry Flynn, a chopper pilot from the Air National Guard, and Private Julio Alvarez, a medic, sat at a table nearby playing cards. They all looked up when they heard the voice of Erica Spears over the radio: "This is NSP Seven-Eight-Romeo to tower. Do you copy? Over."

"Answer it," said Gardner. "Don't blow this one, Kathryn. Remember, that chopper seats five. Whether or not you're on it with the rest of us is entirely up to you. Tell them they're cleared to land on the helipad next to the tower." When she hesitated, he leered at her. "Unless there's something else you'd rather do."

Kathryn grimaced with distaste and snatched the microphone, then spoke into it: "This is the tower, I read you. Over."

"Is your location still secure? Over," asked Erica.

"Yeah, we're still good here. What's your ETA? Over."

"We're only a few minutes out now. Over."

On the tower roof-
Private Simone Dawkins lay on top of a sleeping bag on the roof, surveying the horizon in all directions through the scope of her M-24. Things had been quiet lately, but she knew that wouldn't last forever.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Re: IC-OVER-The Tower(Gardner/Flynn/Dawkins/Alvarez/McCoy)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Alvarez smiled and said, "Well we have time for another hand." He laid down his current hand and said, "Four aces, pay up Harry." Alverez smiled a slightly goofy smile and chuckled. He was happy that there was a chance that he could get off this airbase and perhaps even back to the university and of course his girlfriend, hopefully who had not turned into a zombie like creature which would suck.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn was smiling: he would get out of this hell hole!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the control room-
"You're cleared to land," replied Kathryn. "Use helipad 1, it's just to the west of the control tower. See you on the ground. Over."

"Thanks," said Erica Spears. "Spears out." She disconnected the call.

Gardner nodded and turned to the other men. "Flynn and Alvarez," he said. "Take the elevator down to the ground and meet the chopper. You know what you need to do. I'll be down myself in a few." He handed Flynn a ring of keys. "Those are for the warehouses. Bring whoever comes from the chopper to warehouse 1, unlock the main door, and let them inside. Once they're in there, lock 'em in and double time it back to the chopper. I'll be there by the time you get back, and Dawkins will cover us all from the roof." He spoke into the radio. "Dawkins, that bird's only a couple minutes out. Be ready."

On the tower roof-
"Roger that, Corporal," said Dawkins. She scanned the western horizon through the scope of her M-24, but she couldn't quite see it. "I can't get a visual yet."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-Yes sir!
Flynn goes in the direction of the elevator; he didn't feel so happy for days! Yell, actually since all this strange situation had started.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez sighed as he put down his cards. "yes sir!" He then jogged after Flynn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(I forgot that Dawkins has a Kevlar helmet, which gives her a -5% penalty to Spot Hidden. This caused her to fail the roll, so I edited it, but nothing else changed as a result.)

In the control room-
Flynn reached the elevator before Alvarez and pushed the call button. The elevator doors slid open, as it had already been on the top floor because they had taken it up there earlier and nobody else was in the tower to use it. Inside the elevator there was a control panel with buttons marked B, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, as well as the standard door open, door close, alarm bell, and emergency stop buttons. The button labeled 1 would take them to ground level. The control room was on 5.

Kathryn looked fearfully at Gardner when she watched the others get into the elevator. "Relax, darling," he said. "I'm not going to hurt you. You did good. And as long as you stay a good girl, nothing bad will happen to you."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn waits for Alvarez and then push the 1 botton.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez says, "Come on slowpoke, what ya waiting for?" "Hey Flynn, I bet $10 that we are going to surprise those civilians and get that copter. You wanna bet?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

-No thanks, i think the same. They won't even know what hit them!
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

"Man your no fun!" Alverez grinned and whistled the theme to Mash.
Last edited by Mr Zombie killer on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the control room-
The elevator doors slid shut, and it began to descend. Kathryn looked back at Corporal Gardner, fear still in her eyes.

"Easy there, Kathryn," he said, resting a hand on her shoulder. She looked away, frowning. "Hey, things aren't so bad. We're getting out of this place before it goes to hell again. Don't you want to survive?"

"Maybe I'd rather die than go anywhere with you," she muttered.

"Come on, you don't mean that. In time you'll come to like me." He patted her shoulder. "Just a little longer and we'll be out of here." He took out a roll of duct tape and started to pull off a long piece.

"You don't need to do that."

"I'm afraid I do. You've done well so far, but I can't trust you not to screw this up."

On the tower roof-
Simone Dawkins continued scanning the western horizon through her scope, but she still couldn't see the helicopter, nor could she hear it.

In the lobby-
The elevator reached the ground floor, and the doors slid open to let Flynn and Alvarez out. The big circular lobby was in disarray. The glass double doors and plate glass windows on the west side had been smashed open during the battle with the infected. A metal back door on the east end of the lobby had likewise been broken in. Chairs had been overturned, and the reception desk between the front doors and the elevator had been knocked to one side. The elevator itself stood in the center, and the steep stairway beside it went up to the second floor and down to the basement.

Twenty yards west of the front entrance was the helipad where the chopper was supposed to land. It was currently unoccupied.

(Flynn and Alvarez, roll Listen. Remember the -5% penalty due to your helmets. The base score for Listen is 25% if it's not on your character sheet. I won't have time for the next couple days to find the M*A*S*H theme song, but feel free to put the link in your own post if you want to find it.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Occ-I found and posted the midi to Mash up in my last post
IC:
Alvarez stopped to listen but all he heard was silence.
Last edited by Mr Zombie killer on Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Flynn is remembering the tv show and doesn't noticeanything.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

In the tower lobby-
The lobby was peaceful and quiet, and the two men heard no sound outside either. Blood stained the floor from the earlier battle, but no bodies were present. Flynn and Alvarez had both helped drag them out back after the fight and stacked them as improvised sandbags. The empty helipad out front where the chopper was due to land awaited.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper

Alvarez made sure his M-4 was in his hand and ready just in case and he stepped outside to the helipad. "You coming Flynn", he called back. As he advanced outside he wristled the tune from X-files. It just felt creepy outside and he had a feeling that things were not going to be the same anymore.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(I'm assuming that Harry Flynn follows Julio Alvarez outside. If that's not the case, let me know in the new thread and I'll edit.

Harry Flynn and Julio Alvarez, continue in the following thread: On the Ground.

Corporal Anthony Gardner, Simone Dawkins, and Kathryn McCoy are moving to this thread: Up Top)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”