OOC- Chapter 3- Over, Under, and Through- General Discussion

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

OOC- Chapter 3- Over, Under, and Through- General Discussion

Post by Mr. Handy »

This is the thread where we'll post anything that's completely Out Of Character, whether it's game-related questions that can be asked in public or simply out-of-game chatting. Anything that involves your characters secrets or any information that you'd rather not share with everyone can be sent to me in a PM. You can also include OOC comments or questions in your In Character posts - just enclose them in parentheses. You'll see how I do it when I put up the first IC posts. You would do this if you want to say or ask something about what's going on in that particular thread.

Remember that if you're playing in this game, you are only allowed to read the threads that have your characters in them. The title of each IC post will indicate which characters are involved, but you can ask here if you're uncertain which thread you're supposed to be in. When characters move between threads, I'll indicate which new threads they go to and post links in their old threads that you can follow.

I have a bit of time tonight, so I'm going to begin making initial posts for the IC threads. Once you see a thread with one of your characters in it, you can go ahead and read it, and then make a post when you're ready. There are still a couple of people I haven't heard from, but they can jump in at any time. Generally, you can only perform one major action between my major updates (participating in a combat round, moving from one location to another, and so on). However, you are usually free to carry out conversations with each other's characters and with NPCs that span multiple posts if I haven't done a major update yet. I will sometimes do minor updates where I show the results of one or more characters' rolls or have an NPC respond or react to something your character says or does. Characters who haven't acted yet can still do so, but if you've already acted you should only do simple actions like speaking until a major update is posted. If you're in the middle of combat your characters won't have time to go on chatting all day, of course. I'll let you know if you're in a non-combat situation where you have little time to speak.

I'm going to start with the IC thread for the new USAF characters in the incoming helicopter, and then the Rough Riders' thread. Well, let's get started! Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: OOC- Chapter 3- Over, Under, and Through- General Discussion

Post by welsh »

Let me add, that as original keeper, I will be keeping a close eye on this but for the moment, this is all Mr. Handy's. I will frequently post comments and thoughts. I may return to co-keeping around March or April as real life settles down or I may just let Handy run it.

I can say that this is a very complex and heavy game to administer and run. Handy has done an awesome job with it. He will probably, if consistent to form, do a major update 1-3 times per week. The more you post, the quicker the update.

That said, be patient. This is a big game with a lot of players and each of us has very important, 'real life' stuff to deal with. Usually the keeper will wait a bit of time for a player to post, but if you are quiet too long the keeper will co-pilot, sometimes without asking.

(And it should be noted that one of the first characters to die was killed off when the Keeper was co-piloting an absent players.)

Rule 1 of roleplay is - remember, this is just fucking around. If you have real life stuff to deal with, deal with it.

Rule 2- be courteous. With each other and especially Keepers. Try to play nice with each other and realize that differences between characters need not be differences between players and Keepers are not here to break up disagreements. And consistent with this rule, if you are going to be away from the game, let the keepers know.

Rule 3 - (the Suaside rule) - write well and be consistent and true to your character. Otherwise Suaside's head will pop off.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Welsh. I'm going to be on vacation during the last few days of April and the first several days in May, and my Internet access during that time may be infrequent at best. As we get closer to that time we can decide whether we should put the game on hold, slow it down, or whether you want to take over while I'm gone. I'll send you all the secrets I've cooked up when I get a chance, probably sometime this weekend.

The first IC post is now up. It's for the new USAF characters, which means Bosco (Sgt. Larry Hendrix), kabukiman (Airman Gordon Cheng), and Kranix (Airman Greg Applebee) are involved in this one, so they can go ahead and get started if they want. We also have a couple of potential new players who haven't checked in yet. If they join and they pick characters in an IC thread that's already up, they can just jump in once I send them the secrets.

The next IC post will be for the Rough Riders and the other new characters with them (the last two groups on the Character Sheets thread). This means Andrew (Bill "Tsuba" Black), Kranix (Lewie Newton), kabukiman (Melinda Christie), and Bosco (Ernest Granger) will be in that thread, as will any new players who choose characters in those groups. I don't think I can get that one up tonight too, so it might be tomorrow night instead.

Other IC posts will appear throughout the weekend. Once a thread with one of your characters is up, you can go ahead and enter it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Good first posts in the Unhappy Landings thread. I could update it at any point now, but I'm going to wait until this weekend to do that. This way any new players who join us and choose characters on the helicopter will still be able to participate before I move that thread forward, and I can get the other IC threads started in the meantime.

I posted the second IC thread for the Rough Riders and Others subgroups. Next I'll make a thread for one of the Under groups consisting of Joe Barring (Fearlessfred), Sally (NPC), Rosie (NPC), Michael (OathinBlood), Randall (NPC), Justin Hockey (Stompie), and Willie (NPC, unconscious). After that I'll probably get the Over groups started. I may not have time to put any more threads up tonight, but I can get started on them tomorrow night and I should be able to get them all up and running this weekend.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by SuAside »

welsh wrote:Rule 3 - (the Suaside rule) - write well and be consistent and true to your character. Otherwise Suaside's head will pop off.
lol, since when did that become my rule?

not to mention i intend to keep my head firmly placed upon my shoulders if you don't mind.

PS: Handy, please refrain from erronously using the word 'clip'. a clip is used to load an SKS, a Mosin Nagant, a Garand, but the pistols and whatnot listed in the gunsthread are loaded by (detachable) magazine. ;)
though i dont expect you to edit the whole thing ofc, just keep it in mind :P
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Clip... clip....clip.

Dude, iz like slang, yo.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I have been differentiating correctly between "clip" and "magazine" in the IC threads. The weapons list was copied over from the old forum. I had edited it for rifles months ago, but not for pistols yet. The ammo I added for the new characters already specified magazines. Still, it's easy enough to fix. I can just do a find and replace. The only ammo in there that's really supposed to be clips are the ones for the Garands.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by OathinBlood »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but which thread, if any, is Igor in?
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple

Post by SuAside »

OathinBlood wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question, but which thread, if any, is Igor in?
we're still missing one thread i think.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

by my count we are missing two threads. Alice and Jim are in Under but have not had a story line for them yet and Bobby Sheen is in Through at the hotel but I have not seen one for him yet either.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

We're missing more than two threads, really. There are two more Under threads left and two more Through threads. I hope to get them started later today. All of the Over threads were posted last night. When all the threads are up, I'll post a list of what thread everyone's characters are in.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've got all but one of the threads up now, and that one doesn't have any PCs in it yet, so it can wait. The Locations post now tells you which thread every character is in, as well as the physical location. When a character moves to a new thread I'll update the list, but I'll keep a history of the threads each character has been in. This will make it easier for someone picking up a new character later to trace their path through the story.

By the way, only the characters who were in Chapters 1 and 2 know that the zombies are actually dead, or that the dead will get back up. The new characters introduced in Chapter 3 aren't aware of this fact...yet. :twisted:
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I just updated all of the threads your characters are in. Remember, if you're playing this game you may only read threads with one or more of your characters in them. Refrain from reading the others, or you risk spoiling yourself.

One NPC has already died, but I don't want to say which one, again to avoid spoilers. On the old board we had a death toll thread which listed each dead character along with a blurb about how they died, but to do that now that we have separate threads might again risk giving out information you shouldn't have. Part of the excitement of this game is not knowing the fates of the characters in the other groups.

The character sheets do list which characters are deceased in red letters, so you should refrain from looking at the sheets of characters that aren't in your threads unless you're shopping for a replacement character and want to see which ones are still available, or if you're a new player trying to decide which characters you want to play.

Laraqua did log onto the site earlier for the first time in a week, though she's very busy and I'm not sure when she'll be able to join us. When she has time, she can choose her remaining characters, catch up, and join in. In the meantime, Rick Brenner will be an NPC. I will also run Stompie's characters as NPCs until he logs onto the board and starts posting for them. He's been away for a week.

Any other new players are still welcome to join us. Just pick your characters and catch up on their threads. I'll send you their secrets and you can start posting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Did this play just get full of IC threads or what?

Dude... you're mad be to be doing all of this.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Quite probably, yes. I started the rest of the IC threads Friday night and Saturday (except the one without players), and updated all of them again today. I had a three day weekend, so it was the ideal time to get the ball rolling. You should check out Unhappy Landings - it's the most interesting one so far. :twisted:

We had a total of 69 characters to start with (13 in Over, 18 in Under, and a whopping 38 in Through). One character just died, and I fully expect others to follow suit before too long. Once we kill off a bunch of characters it should be a lot more manageable.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Ah... .More carnage and destruction.
The helicopter crash worked quite nicely.

- Anonymous Cannibal
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Indeed. It could have been a lot worse too...and may yet be. Should be interesting to see how things unfold next.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

AH- the old 'lets see who goes to save the survivors in a sea of zombies' vs the sanity of watching comrades consumed by zombie hordes while you were too chicken shit to do anything about it.

Definitely a mind bender.

Interesting, but one of the important notes from Max Brooks Zombie Survival Guide is the virtue of silence. Gun shots have a way of attracting Zombs.

- Anonymous Cannibal
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

By the way, i just saw yesterday the night of the living dead (the original), so i'm in the right mood! :D
Anyway, the landing was a real massacre, the chance of the group to survive is very thin.
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple

Post by SuAside »

welsh wrote:Did this play just get full of IC threads or what?

Dude... you're mad be to be doing all of this.
i got 10 bucks saying he'll kill off half of the players in one chapter, thus reducing workload by a fuckton :p

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”