IC-UNDER-In Too Deep(Everyone)

As the afternoon gets underway, the survivors from the T-Bone have been split up. The helicopter group must land at an airfield halfway to Omaha for refueling. Those still on the surface try desperately to defend the motel, while those trapped underground fight for their lives as they search for a way out.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Re: IC-UNDER-In Too Deep(Everyone)

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Kerry quickly got into the van and buckeled up. She was in the middle seat.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by John Gaunt »

"Right, then! Discretion is certainly the wiser part of valor, isn't it?!" the Englishman exclaims as he hurries to the van.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

At the campsite-
The ground shook more violently as Sally and Kerry got into the middle seats and Michael raced back across the campsite to the minivan. He climbed inside, closed the door, and made his way to the back seat just as the tremors were getting really intense. Max whimpered and covered his eyes with his paws, trembling.

"Go!" called Rosie. "Get us out of here!"

Before Ms. Foo could start driving, there was a tremendous eruption of earth and rocks in the middle of the campsite, just twenty feet from the vehicle. A huge form burst out of the ground and went straight up into the air. It looked like a gigantic, segmented worm, coated with slime, but its head looked more like a squid, with eight writhing tentacles coming out of it. The monster was quite large, and looked capable of crushing the minivan and the people within it with ease.

(Everyone except Max, roll Sanity! :twisted: Sanity loss is 1d3/1d20. If you don't go temporarily insane, you may act before the creature does - except for Ms. Foo, who is the only person here with lower DEX than it. Those on the right side may fire out their windows at it or attack it with some other ranged weapon - this means Ellen, Michael, and Kerry. If you miss with a grenade, roll Luck. If you hit with a grenade, you'll still have to throw it well past the creature in order to avoid damaging the minivan. You'll have to throw it 10 yards beyond, which means you'll do at most 2d6 damage with one. If you have a gun that fires multiple times, you get all of those shots before it gets to attack. The range is normal, so you get your full skill. Kerry, if you fire a burst with the M-16 you get a +20 bonus to hit, for a total of 50%.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by ryansommer »

As usual, Sally holds it together when confronted with the hulking monstrosity.

(OOC: Can Sally use he cane to reach over the drivers seat and press Mrs. Foo's foot on the gas with the cane she has been using? This is assuming that we are not facing a rock wall or a cliff drop off or something.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Don't forget to roll 1d3 for your Sanity loss. You still lose a little Sanity even though you succeeded at your Sanity roll. Yes, you may try to press down the gas pedal with one of your canes. Roll against DEX x 3.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Sally lunges forward, attempting to push down the accelerator with her cane.
(OOC: I am really, really hoping for some sort of situational modifire to give me the additional +2% I need to succeed)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Sorry, you didn't quite get it this time. Ms. Foo could press the accelerator herself once it's her turn to act, but the creature will go first. By the way, I still need you to roll 1d3 for your Sanity loss. Then I need Sanity rolls and losses for Ms. Foo and Kerry, as well as Kerry's action if she remains sane, before I can update.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

(OOC: Sorry. I meant to add that to the last post. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1713314/
I have a feeling it's time to think about new characters.)
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

Kerry stared at the creature but did not lose her mind. She did however sense that she would soon lose her sanity with all that had happened to her in the last few days.
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Kerry, you're still free to act this round. Go ahead and shoot if you like. I also still need a Sanity roll from Ms. Foo.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Ms. Foo manages to keep her head though the giant creature seriously rattles her perceptions of What Should Be.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(I still don't have an action for Kerry for this round, so I'm going to go ahead and do a partial update. Kerry, you may still act this round.)

At the campsite-
Sally stretched forward and desperately tried to depress the accelerator with one of her canes, but she couldn't quite reach far enough and came up short by mere inches. Michael freaked out at the sight of the creature, and then he saw something else that alarmed him even more. Kerry kept her wits about her, but she hesitated to act. Rosie barely kept panic at bay, but she was still very disturbed. Ellen also held herself together, though she too was very frightened. She pointed her shotgun at the thing and fired, but the blast went wide. "Hurry!" screamed Rosie. "Get us out of here!"

The worm-like creature slithered across the ground towards the minivan. It reared up and brought its massive bulk down over the center of the vehicle!

(Ms. Foo, you have one chance to prevent the creature from hitting the minivan. You may make a Drive Auto roll to see if you can pull out and evade it in time, but the base skill is only 20%. Kerry, you may take your shot at the creature, but you do not get the point blank bonus - this took effect before the creature's attack. Michael may also act, even though he is temporarily insane - check the PM I'm sending you! The insanity lasts for 8 rounds, including this one.

If the Drive Auto roll fails, each of you has a choice. You may remain in the vehicle, in which case you'll take damage for certain. It won't be as much as it would be if you'd been hit while outside the vehicle, but if you're already badly wounded - I'm looking at you, Sally! - this will probably be fatal. The alternative is to attempt to roll out of the minivan and away before the creature hits it. This will require either a Jump roll or a Dodge roll, whichever is higher. The base skill for Jump is 25%, and the base skill for Dodge is DEX x 2. However, you may not roll Dodge if you attack this round - you would have to roll Jump or stay put. Note that if your roll fails, you are still in the vehicle when it gets hit. If you succeed, you will not take any damage from this attack, but you will also be outside the vehicle next round. If the minivan drives away, you'll be left stranded with this thing! Max, if you get out of the vehicle, you will see the worm and must roll Sanity with a Sanity loss of 1d3/1d20.

Once I have a decision and any needed rolls from all five PCs, including Max, as well as actions for Kerry and Michael, then I'll wrap up the round.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Ms. Foo fails to get them out of the way in time and then, realizing she can't do this, she gropes for the door but moves too slowly in her old age.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by John Gaunt »

Rolling down the window partway, Michael screams "Die, you buggers!" and begins firing his pistol methodically.
Last edited by John Gaunt on Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryansommer
Disciple
Disciple

Post by ryansommer »

Despite her woulnded leg, Sally expertly dodges out of the van before the creature crushes it.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Max decided to get out of the van but got the biggest shockof his life when he saw the creature.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(Escaping from the van is not automatic. Max has to roll Jump at 25% just like anyone else. If he fails the roll, he will still be in the van and will not see the creature, but if he succeeds you'll need to roll Idea to see if he goes temporarily insane. You want to fail that roll to avoid it, and he only has an Idea score of 10, so he'll probably be all right.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by kabukiman »

Max seems to get stucked in the van...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

(I still haven't had a reply for Kerry, though her player has been on the board several times, so I'm going to go ahead and post. Kerry will thus do nothing this round, and will remain in the vehicle in the absence of any other instructions.)

At the campsite-
Sally threw open her door and rolled out and away from the minivan. Pain shot through her fractured leg, but she knew that remaining inside would have been far worse. Ms. Foo was too slow to react and could not drive away fast enough, nor could she get her door open before the giant worm struck. Ellen couldn't quite get her door open in time either. Max tried to get out too, but Michael hadn't opened his window far enough for him to fit through, and he was unable to open a door himself. He didn't have time to reach the door Sally had opened.

The creature came crashing down on the minivan's roof, causing heavy damage and breaking all of the windows and both windshields. The vehicle would not be able to take another hit like that one. Ms. Foo was badly injured by the impact, but Ellen only took a glancing blow and was knocked unconscious. Kerry was hurt a little worse than that, and so was Rosie. Max regrettably bore the brunt of the attack, having been in the center of the minivan in his effort to escape. He passed out, bleeding to death. Michael was badly hurt as well.

(Ms. Foo and Michael, roll CON x 5 to stay conscious. Ms. Foo, if you're still awake you may use your action this round to start driviing away. Just pick a direction: dirt roads leave to the north, south, east, and west. Note that this means you'll be abandoning Sally, but if you wait until next round the creature will get to attack the minivan again. Michael, if you're still conscious you may take your third shot. Once you've both rolled and posted, I'll start the next round. Kerry may also still act this round if I get a post for her before I update again.)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Chapter 3 - Over, Under, and Through”