IC: Elizabeth and Caroline visit the Penhew Foundation

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

IC: Elizabeth and Caroline visit the Penhew Foundation

Post by Raiko »

Taking the Tube.
3:10pm - Wednesday 28th January, 1925

After finishing tea at the Ritz, Elizabeth and Caroline say goodbye to Timour and Johnny and make their way out of the hotel.

Apparently London's subway system, generally called 'The Tube' by the locals, is the fastest way to get around the city, and the closest tube station, Dover Street is right outside the Ritz on Piccadilly.

Dover Street Station

Dover Street Station - Elevators and Ticket Halls

The two ladies enter the station, and after spending a couple of shillings purchasing tickets that will allow them unlimited tube travel for the rest of the day, they descend to platform level using the stations elevators.

The whole journey takes fifteen minutes and requires a single change at Leicester Square station where they switch from the Piccadilly Line to the Northern Line.

Grooge Street Station - Tottenham Court Road

The closest tube station to the Penhew Foundation building in Grooge Street Station, which is located a little further north along Tottenham Court Road.

The Penhew Foundation - Tottenham Court Road, Bloomsbury, London
3:30pm - Wednesday 28th January, 1925

The Penhew Foundation

Despite the imposing iron railings, it appears that the Penhew Foundation is open to the public, a brass plaque on the railings by the bottom of the entrance steps lists the opening times:
The Penhew Foundation
35 Tottenham Court Road,
London,
W1

Open to the general public:
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm

Director - Mr Edward Gavigan
A uniformed doorman stands at the top of the stairs, by the public entrance to the building.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Re: IC: Elizabeth and Caroline visit the Penhew Foundation

Post by Decrepit »

Caroline looks at the imposing structure and then at Beth. Quietly, she says, "Beth, perhaps we should think about what we hope to accomplish here before we go in. We really don't know that much about Gavigan, and we certainly don't want to draw too much attention to our little band."

She pauses. "I expect that he'd be willing to see us--or you, anyway, given your social prominence." She smiles a little. "Perhaps we should just 'feel him out' to see how much he's willing to say about Penhew and the expedition."
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Elizabeth smiles at Caroline. "Why Caroline, darling, you must be a mind reader. That is exactly what I was thinking. We can start as just interested tourists and see how much he's willing to say without having to reveal our role in things. We can choose what to reveal based on our impression of him." She looks up at the building with a mischievous look in her eye. "This will be fun. Shall we?" She waits to see if Caroline has anything more to say before they climb the stairs.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"We shall play it by ear, then," Caroline agrees, a bit pensively.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The doorman is very polite, he holds open the doors to the Penhew foundation with a smile as Caroline and Elizabeth approach.

"Good afternoon ladies, welcome to the Penhew Foundation."

Immediately through the front door stands an ornate wooden reception deck, behind which sits a male secretary who looks up and watches the ladies approaching.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Good day," Caroline says to the secretary, smiling. Looking around, she says, "My, this is all very impressive. My friend and I are pleased to be here--it was practically our first stop."
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth puts on her most charming smile. "Indeed. I've heard there are such interesting artifacts here. Do you have tours available?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"We certainly do, our Egyptian collection is right up those stairs, and there is always a member of staff available if you require a guide around the exhibits. There is a small charge of two shillings each to view the collection I'm afraid."

The secretary indicates a staircase to Elizabeth's left that leads up to the second floor, a wooden plaque at the bottom of the stairs reads "Public Exhibition Upstairs." There is also a mens washroom to that side of the entrance, at the base of the stairs. The Ladies room is to the right, while behind the reception desk a corridor leads right through the middle of the building, lined with offices on either side.

The floors of the Penhew Foundation are polished marble, the wood panelled walls contain numerous oil paintings.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"Oh, if we could have a guide, that would be quite lovely. I did study Egyptian history in college, but I'm sure my friend and I would get so much more out of the exhibit if we had an expert to explain the details to us." Elizabeth reaches into her purse and pulls out a pound. She hands it to the secretary and smiles. "Of course you can keep the change. In my experience foundations are always poorly underfunded."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"Thank you, that's very generous."

"If you wouldn't mind just waiting here for a moment, I'll see if anyone is available to give you both a personal tour of the building."

The secretary stands up and starts to walk away, down the corridor behind his desk.

[OOC: I've stopped here in case you want to speak to each other while the secretary is gone, or speak to him again before he leaves.
If you want to just get on with it, just make a post to say that you wait for him to return :)]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

In a stage whisper, Caroline says, "Let's see who they offer us and go from there. If it's not Gavigan, we can either ask so many pesky questions that we're referred to him, or we can act as if we might make a substantial donation, which should get him out of the woodwork."
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth chuckles. "We truly are of one mind. I almost just mentioned to the secretary that my family has always taught me to be generous, but in my experience the English prefer to keep things as subtle as possible. But if need be, I can easily become blazingly obvious." She grins, clearly enjoying the game. "Of course, we may ask many 'pesky questions' as well. I am truly quite interested in the subject, after all."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

3:35pm - Wednesday 28th January, 1925

Apparently Elizabeth's hint seems to have done the trick, after a few minutes the secretary returns with a tall, very well dressed man in his mid-fifties. They emerge from the first door along the right hand side of the corridor.

"This is our director Edward Gavigan, he has kindly said that he'll give you both a tour of the exhibition."

Mr Gavigan is wearing a excellently tailored grey suit, his short fair hair is immaculately groomed. He hold out his right hand in greeting and both Elizabeth and Caroline notice that Gavigan is wearing one of those new, terribly expensive and fashionable wristwatches. He looks the embodiment of a successful English gentleman.

"Edward Gavigan at your service ladies, I believe that you expressed an interest in a tour of our Egyptian exhibits."

"I have the next hour free, so I'd be delighted to show you both around."

Edward Gavigan
Edward Gavigan
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Caroline offers her hand. "You're most gracious, Mr. Gavigan, to take time out of your undoubtedly busy schedule for the two of us." She looks around the building appraisingly. "I must say, I'm impressed already!"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Mr Gavigan shakes Caroline's hand firmly and enthusiastically, "Please just call me Edward, and it's never a hardship to take a little time to show around such enthusiastic visitors."

After shaking Elizabeth's hand in turn, Mr Gavigan leads the ladies up the foundation's impressive staircase towards the second floor.

"This is the way to our exhibition hall, as you will see - we have an extensive collection of Egyptian artefacts, ranging from simple chipped pieces of pottery, to actual sarcophagi and the mummified remains of Pharaohs and their Queens - all exhumed I might add by expeditions that were funded in part or in whole by our Foundation."

"Tell me, how did two lovely young ladies from America come to hear of the Penhew Foundation? I had on idea that our fame had spread across the Atlantic."
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"To tell the truth, Edward," Elizabeth smiles at the strangeness of such immediate familiarity, "I heard about some of the artifacts here while I was a student in college, but I am not knowledgeable about the Foundation itself." She raises her eyebrows in polite inquiry.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"And I'm afraid I know almost nothing about Egypt, let alone the foundation," Caroline offers. "I'm more than willing to learn, though."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Elizabeth wrote:"I heard about some of the artifacts here while I was a student in college..."
Edward nods, "Excellent."

Elizabeth wrote:"...but I am not knowledgeable about the Foundation itself." She raises her eyebrows in polite inquiry.
"Ah well, where to start!"

"As you may know, the Penhew Foundation was founded in 1905 by Sir Aubrey Penhew, a noted Egyptologist and explorer. Sadly Sir Aubrey perished leading an expedition to East Africa shortly after the Great War..."

The trio reach the second floor, the staircase rises right into the middle of the Penhew Foundation's impressive exhibit hall. Edward gestures grandly towards the exhibits, "...as you can see though, Sir Aubrey's legacy lives on though the foundation that he founded."

"The foundation has undertaken or financed a great many digs throughout Egypt - at Giza, Memphis, Meidum , Thebes, Hermonthis and particularly at Dashur - Sir Aubrey was considered to be a world renowned expert on the Dashur region."

"If you'll follow me ladies, I shall show you our exhibits."

Edward sets off towards the closest display cabinets.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"I imagine there can be no better monument to Sir Aubrey than this collection. How horrid that expeditions can be so dangerous, although I suppose that is part of the glamour." Elizabeth smiles like a girl caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

"How good it is that you are able to carry on his work through this Foundation. I would think his are a hard pair of shoes to fill."

"The Dashur region? I'm afraid I don't recall what is unique to that region ... although I suppose I've come to one of the best places to learn."
Elizabeth grins.

She happily wanders through the exhibits, genuinely oohing and aahing over the artifacts and maintaining a pleasant conversation.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

As Beth seems to have things well in hand, Caroline merely follows along for now, confident that Gavigan is being fully forthcoming--at least for now.

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”