IC: The British Museum - Maks Timour Andrei Nethaniel & Gwen

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC: The British Museum - Maks Timour Andrei Nethaniel & Gwen

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel is rigth at home in the museum's private stacks. His urge to continue his own research is strong but the thought of uncovering this Bloody Tongue Cult's roots is too big a chance to miss. He'll write dozen upon dozens of papers with what he'll uncover over the next few days.

Now that Nethaniel has them right in front of his nose he ponders on the titles before him, trying to dicern if any of the Tomes or papers not mentioned in Andrei's list might be of some use. He quietly listens to the other three chat as his mind races through his memory. He fidgets uncontrollably as he reads, having to quickly shove both hands into the deep pockets of his tweed suit jacket to hide his excitement.

oc - Occult roll? or Mythos roll?
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Timour Rukov »

A bunch of musty old books.....great.

Timour stifles a yawn and averts his eyes to Gwen's bosom. It seemed a lot more interesting than the old coot showing them the library.

After a while he tires of that too and leans over to Maks, "Did he really just say, 'extract a price'?" He shudders, involuntarily.
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

As Nethaniel browses the room’s dusty stacks and glass topped cabinets, Professor Wilson carefully pull a large folio from one of the bookshelves and places it on top of the single large reading table.

“Here you are Mister Zatisov - the Pnakotic Manuscripts, or at least what remains of our photostatic copy.”
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel admires the cover...

You search through that one lad! If'n you need any help with the translations and such just give a good yell. I'll come running!

Nethaniel straights his tie and wipes his glasses for the 11th time this morning.

Now then... Professor Wilson... could you please direct me to the Ancient Roman Literature stacks?
I've got a hunch I'd like to set straight! I'm specifically looking for any texts you may have concerning reports and documents written by the Legions. I've already had a gander at the Praesidia Finium so I'd like to start with that if I may? Any other tomes from the era would be most appreciated.

Nethaniel looks at Gwen beaming.

So then, Shall we get started luv?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The professor leaves Andrei with the photostatic copy of the Pnakotic Manuscripts, and turns his attention to Nethaniel:

“Well obviously, a large number of translated Roman texts can be found in the main library – mostly translations of papyrus documents recovered from Egypt. Praesidia Finium is the only surviving example a Roman papyrus codex ever discovered in Northern Europe. There are several translated documents recovered on fragments pf wooden tablet, but nothing on the scale of the Praesidia Finium codex, nor quite so disturbing.”

“It’s extremely delicate – it’s a miracle that it survived the English climate at all of course – so we’d prefer you to work from the existing translations. We don’t allow visitors to handle the original, but if you really need to view it then Gwen is qualified to handle the codex itself.”

He leads Nethaniel and Gwen across the room to one of the glass-topped cabinets, “Here it is, Praesidia Finium – possibly the greatest archaeological discovery made in England during the Nineteenth century. Please take good care.”
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei sits at a table and stares at the folder, sweating.

The curse he talked about, the Guardian... funny, I would have laughed that off three weeks ago. But now... Maybe I already released it, at the Carlyle Mansion. Maybe that's what attacked us on the street last night.

He scratches the back of his neck roughly.

But, I have to learn more if we're going to escape this madness. If they can assault our very dreams, well, guns aren't going to do any good. I need to be brave about this...

Andrei throws a hurried glance over his shoulder, positive that he feels something watching him.

"To hell with you", he mumbles to himself, and opens the folder. [OC: If nothing immediately happens]: Andrei greedily scans the folder, looking for any diagrams or English/French/Russian text that seems important or familiar.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel encourages Gwen to read the Codex.

Please luv! It's important that we explore all avenues while we have access to the texts...
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

"Is there anything I should take a flick through?" Maksim murmurs in Nethaniel's ear, trying to look for all the world like a lost and innocent puppy, eager to help the Englishman.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel smiles politely at Maks.

Oh Of coarse Maksim.... The more the merrier and all that!

Nethaniel looks down the long stacks and scratches his chin. He removes his glasses twice and cleans them spotless before answering him.

Well then Maksim... there's a wide assortment of occult books and the like you could certainly peruse to now couldn't you? I imagine you could even search for pictures. Look for sketches of creatures with tentacles and highlight the relevant pages. Creatures sensitive to light might also be a place to start. Perhaps if we can uncover a link to this being and others like it, we'll know best how to defeat it when the time is right. I'll write down a few references where you can get started.

ooc- Library Use- 59 : Pass
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

While Nethaniel browses the stacks searching for suitable reading for Maksim, Gwen carefully removes the ancient Roman codex from it's cabinet and carries it across to the reading table. Seated at the table already is Andrei, who is busy comparing his own large collection of scibbled notes with the photostatic copy of the Pnakotic Manuscripts.

Nethaniel pauses, staring at the spine of one of the books - Africa's Dark Sects - not a book about English mythical monsters of course, but wasn't that the book that Jackson Elias tried to acquire from Harvard?

OOC: Make an Occult Roll for Nethaniel
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1736490/ : Occult roll 75 : Pass (Exactly)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Black Library - Below the British Museum, Bloomsbury, London
11:35am - Thursday 29th January, 1925

Maksim and Timour notice the title of the book that Nethaniel is staring at - Africa's Dark Sects, by Nigel Blackwell. They remember that it's the same book that Jackson Elias had wanted to borrow from Harvard's Widener Library, only to find that it had been stolen a few months ago.
Jtull_84 wrote:Upon hearing of Professor Feinnes' death she exclaims:
"Oh the poor man! I don't suppose he has any family we can contact? This investigation is important, and we must make our condolances of course."
Absent mindedly seeming to remember Gwen's question for the first time, Professor Wilson wanders back across to the reading table, "You know, I really don't think that Fiennes did have anyone, not in London at least. Though he may have had relatives in Oxford, that's where he lived - he was only in London for his research..."

"...I'll look up the details once we're finished down here."

He looks across the table to where Andrei sits, examining the partially copy of the Pnakotic Manuscripts, "How are you managing old chap? The English is terribly old fashioned I'm afraid and I doubt that anyone will ever fully translate the glyph-cipher."
OOC Info for everyone,I sent PMs to Coffee and DSIGFUSS after their characters' skill rolls. I'm waiting for one of them to post before carrying on. Jtull hasn't been online since I PMed him,so I'll NPC [b]Gwen [/b]for the moment.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

"May I see that book? Africa's Dark Sects?" asks Maksim. He looks around at the others, eagerness clear in his eyes.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Black Library - Below the British Museum, Bloomsbury, London
11:36am - Thursday 29th January, 1925
Laraqua wrote:"May I see that book? Africa's Dark Sects?" asks Maksim. He looks around at the others, eagerness clear in his eyes.
Unlike most of the books in here, Africa’s Dark Sects looks very new, or at least the spine does.

The title also suggests that the book is probably written in modern English, at least half of the books that Maksim has seen on these stacks appear to be written in Latin.

Professor Wilson looks across from the reading table, “I don’t see why not. So long as it doesn’t leave this room.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Maksim takes the book Africa’s Dark Sects to the reading table:
What Maksim learns,Written in 1916 & 17 by the English author [b]Nigel Blackwell[/b], [i]Africa’s Dark Sects[/i] was eventually published in January 1924. It details [b]Blackwell’s [/b]investigations into several alleged African [i]Death Cults[/i]. The one of the largest chapters of the book details what he learned of the [i]Cult of the Bloody Tongue [/i]during his 1915/16 visit to [i]British East Africa [/i](renamed Kenya in 1920). [b]Blackwell’s [/b]investigation uncovered dark allegation and suspicions among many outlaying villages in the Nairobi region: tales of abductions during the night, and of the beheadings or ritual mutilations of any who dared cross the feared cult’s path. In all cases the skin of the victim’s forehead would be inscribed with the Cult’s rune. An illustration of the Cult’s rune is almost identical to the one carved into Jackson’s forehead by his murderers. Although he doesn’t witness any violence, or victims firsthand, Blackwell writes that he was taken to the scene of a recent murder – that of a local religious leader who dared stand up to the Bloody Tongue Cult. The body of the victim had already been cremated, but Blackwell wrote that the scene of the attack itself still bear the stains of the poor priest’s murder. The murder took place right in the centre of the village – a sign of the Cult’s power, and of the villagers’ fear. There is a large amount of information about the Kenyan cult in the chapter, although a great deal of it is conjecture, born out of the superstitious fears of the tribal villagers. The chapter also often tries to draw parallels with topics already discussed in other chapters, but [b]Maksim [/b]does not have time to cross-reference things or to read the entire book. There is doubtlessly more information to be learned from this book, if only he had a week to study it. While discussing the dark rumours about the Cult, [b]Blackwell [/b]makes no mention of the “great winged” creatures quoted in [b]Jackson’s [/b]Nairobi notes, but he does often refer to the Bloody Tongue Cult’s god as the [i]God of the Black Winds[/i]. He also states that the British Authorities, preoccupied with their own conflicts against the German forces of [b]Paul Erich von Lettow-Vorbeck[/b] from neighbouring German East Africa have no interest in dealing with what they call “tribal infighting.” The final section of the chapter refers to a trip made by [b]Blackwell [/b]in February of 1916. [b]Blackwell[/b], accompanied by several native guides from the [i]Kikuyu [/i]tribe, journeyed deep into the Rift valley, north of Nairobi. And into the foothills of the mountains that overlooked the valley. His tribal guides bravely promised to take him to a ritual site of the Cult of the Bloody Tongue. Fortune was with the author, for a rite took place on the very night that he visited the site: [quote="Africa’s Dark Sects"] [i]“As the priestess whirled around the fire-lit circle, chanting dim words from an ancient spell, the cult executioners busied themselves with their screaming sacrifices. As the blood flowed, a chill wind sprang up, and I felt a flash of fear: the wind had become visible, a black vapour against the gibbous, leering Moon, and slowly my terror grew as I comprehended the monstrous thing taking form. The corrosive stench of it hinted at vileness beyond evil. When I saw the great red appendage which alone constituted the face of the thing, my courage died, and I fled unseeing into the night.”[/i] [/quote] These are the last words of the [i]Bloody Tongue [/i]chapter. Notably the [i]Cult of the Bloody Tongue[/i] appears to be the last such cult investigated by [b]Nigel Blackwell[/b].
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel seems very interested in the Africa's Dark Secrets text, looking over his shoulder at Maksim every so often, but continues to help Gwen with the translations.

He says to Gwen. (When the Professor is out of ear shot)
The Cult will be back for that African book Gwen. I don't trust the museums security. Perhaps we should hold it for a few days until we sort this whole thing out.
Cthulhu Mythos roll,Cthulhu Mythos roll : rolled a 51 : fail http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1743091/
Last edited by Raiko on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Hid dice roll link inside spoiler
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour sighs, a wary painful sigh to communicate his boredom to anyone that should care. After several more minutes of slumping on one stack of books to the next, he mumbles something about fetching tea, and slips out the door of the library.
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nethaniel wrote:The Cult will be back for that African book Gwen. I don't trust the museums security. Perhaps we should hold it for a few days until we sort this whole thing out.
Gwen whispers back, “But how are we to get it out of here? The Professor will never leave us alone with these books.”
OOC Info for all,[color=#FF0000][u][b]OOC:[/b][/u][/color] I’m preparing a handout detailing what [b]Nethaniel [/b]and [b]Gwen [/b]find out from [i]Praesidia Finium [/i], but I’ll save it until a little later – I’ve assumed that this whispered conversation occurs early during your couple of hours in the [i]Black Library[/i] I also need to double check how big a bonus the book gives to [i]Cthulhu Mythos [/i]rolls, to see whether [b]Nethaniel [/b]gleaned additional information. [i]Praesidia Finium [/i]gives +8% skill, but I can’t remember what you multiply that by when the book is at hand. Depending on the multiplier Nethaniel may have passed the roll. Finally I’m waiting until I let home, or until someone makes a Mythos roll for [b]Gwen [/b]for me. She doesn’t speak/read Latin so she can only help [b]Nethaniel[/b], but if she makes her roll then she’ll provide an additional bonus to [b]Nethaniel’s [/b]Mythos skill.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel looks around the library for a section some distance away that he's already visited and tries to think of a text he could talk enthusiasticly about. He then leans in and whispers to Gwen pointing at some line in the manuscipt they were studying.

One of these thugs must have a little experience in these matters know wouldn't they? They are Russian for heaven's sake. I'll distract the Professor.... you bring the notion to the Russians... they'll put on a jolly good show, I'm certain of it.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Black Library – Below the British Museum, Bloomsbury, London
12:00pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

Looking around the stacks of this small reading room, Nethaniel spot’s a section in the far corner containing historical works about cryptography, books that were often banned by the church due to suspicions that they detailed Witchcraft.

Nethaniel knows that the Black Library’s collection includes all six volumes of Polygraphiae Libri Sex (Six Books of Polygraphy), by Johannes Trithemius – the earliest known printed books about cryptography. Nethaniel’s own bookshop, Dodgy Pages, has a copy of volume five and Nethaniel has studied it extensively. He’s also familiar with several other books written about cryptology during the Renaissance period. He’s quite confident that he could discuss these Latin books at length with Professor Wilson, referencing their possible use in helping to study the mysterious ciphers of the Pnakotic Manuscripts.
One volume of Polygraphiae Libri Sex (1518)
One volume of Polygraphiae Libri Sex (1518)
300px-Polygraphiae.jpeg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
OOC,[color=#FF0000][u][b]OOC:[/b][/u][/color] For information: this underground room isn’t all that big (not compared to the main reading room above anyway), it’s about 50-60 feet long, but is quite narrow (15-20 feet). I tried to find a suitable photo when you first came down here, but didn’t find anything that looked right (most libraries have windows ;)) It’s certainly big enough for Nethaniel’s plan to work though. Make an [i]Occult [/i]roll for Nethaniel, and a [i]Fast Talk[/i] roll. Unless both rolls are failures it’s unlikely that Wilson will so through the ruse. [color=#FF0000]Please make another IC post as well, to start the diversion.[/color] 8-)

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”