IC: CH2 - LONDON - Back at the Ritz

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC: CH2 - LONDON - Back at the Ritz

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, a private room is a good idea," says Jones. "We will need to speak to Caroline as well when she returns, of course." He approaches the desk clerk to ask about the use of a room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

The clerk arranges for an empty room to be made available to Jones for interviewing. A porter leads them to the room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jones thanks the porter. Once he is sure that they have privacy, he takes out his notebook and pencil, opening the book to a blank page. "All right," he says, trying to sound calm, professional, and reassuring, "let's get started. Feel free to sit down if you like, and to help yourself to something to drink. To begin with, I'd like to get both of your full names and your room number here. I presume they're going to move you to a new suite, so I'll need to know which one once you do in case we need to contact you. If you're going to swap hotels after what happened, we'll need to know where you're going. Then I'd like you to walk me through your day. If you can, I'd particularly like to know what time you left the suite this morning. Then you can tell me where you went, who was with you, when you went there, anyone you met, anything unusual you noticed. After that, I'll need to know what time you returned to the suite and what you saw."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Barrington heads up to the room where the murder victim was found.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Syrinx wrote: "Hmm. Names? Downing and..?"
Wong.The Chinese man nods politely.

------------

Johnny pours a scotch for Miss D. His puttering about gives him a chance to scan the room, before he returns passing it to her before before settling himself into the chair. My name is Johnny Wong, I work for Miss Downings family. It will probably be easier for us to go backward. We arrived about 30 minutes, no more than 45 minutes ago to find the situation upstairs. Slightly before that I received a note from one of the staff, it had been left by a tall blond haired gentleman with a wristwatch. While disturbing by itself it's contents took on a whole new light by the time we got upstairs. His speech is ordered and rhythmic; with almost no pauses for breath.
Johnny's rolls & Character Sheet
English: Purple | Chinese (Cantonese):Green
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jones raises an eyebrow as he writes quickly in his notebook. "This note sounds like important evidence, Mr. Wong," he says, "and the identity of the man who dropped it off could be very important to know. Do you still have the note? In addition to its contents being valuable, we may be able to pull fingerprints from it. We'd have to take yours too in order to eliminate them from contention, as well as the member of the hotel staff who handed it to you and anyone else who handled it. Do you remember which member of the staff gave you the note? I'd like to talk to him or her later and get a full description of this man."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by imme »

Elizabeth seems a little overwhelmed by Jones' long string of questions and gladly accepts the drink from Johnny. She is obviously relieved that he is speaking with the Sergeant and leans back in her chair, sipping the scotch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

While he waits for Johnny to respond, Jones checks the clock in the room for the current time, then deducts 30 and 45 minutes from it in his head to get the range of time when Elizabeth's group returned to the hotel and writes it down.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

We have the note. The Chinese man nods at the request for fingerprints. Miss Downing touched it too I am afraid.

I don't have her name but she was on duty this evening and I can certainly describe her. We were speaking earlier but, from his description the man could have been one Gavigan who runs the Penhew Foundation. Miss Downing encountered him recently.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,The current time is 7:21pm. Sorry I stopped posting time tags, I'll start posting them again.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Johnny hasn't actually shown the letter to Jones yet. If he does, then here is a copy to save you having to hunt for the correct post:
The Letter,The letter has been typed onto plain paper and carefully folded. [code] Dear Miss Downing, By the time you read this letter you will be beginning to understand the extent of my power. Your friend Jackson Elias poked his nose into matters that should not have concerned him. Consider this to be a final warning and run off back to New York like a good little girl. I understand the thirst for adventure amongst the youthful, but this story will have no happily ever afters, nor will your fairy Godmother appear to whisk you away. If you do not heed this warning you will die a most gruesome death. [/code][code] If you show this letter to Scotland Yard, then I will know. Goodbye Miss Downing, do not worry your pretty head about my affairs ever again. [/code] OOC: I had intended to produce a proper handout for this letter, but forgot. Edit: I split the letter in two, as the full code text did not appear when viewed on my phone.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"'Could have been?'" says Jones, raising an eyebrow. "You'd better be dead certain before you accuse a man of Mr. Gavigan's stature. Neither of you saw this man yourselves, the clerk did. There are any number of tall, blond gentlemen with wristwatches in London. I will talk to her and get a description from her myself, rest assured, but I'd need more to go on. Such as fingerprints." He takes out a pair of gloves and slips them on, then holds out a hand expectantly. "May I please have the note?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth nods and as Johnny hands over the note, she looks Jones in the eyes and says, "I think you will see that this is no isolated incident. I hope you are ready to be involved in all of this."
OOC,Forgive me for dictating another player's actions, but I got the impression Grafster was planning on giving him the note already and I hope this helps move things along.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm sure [b]Johnny[/b] would do what [b]Elizabeth[/b] tells him.

Jones holds the note carefully to avoid smudging any prints that may already be on it and reads it, letting out a whistle under his breath. "Well, it seems that our killer doesn't mince words," he says. "If this is what he does as a 'warning,' I'd hate to see him get serious. He was prescient enough to foresee that you might show this to us, but I'm not sure how he'd know you did it...unless he has allies in the Yard. We'll have to be very discreet in our enquiries. Obviously your life is in terrible danger, Miss Downing. You'll need round the clock police protection for as long as you're in London. I'd take this threat very seriously. Have you considered leaving? Is there any reason you feel it's worth risking your lives to remain in London? Do you have any idea what 'affairs' Jackson Elias and yourself might have gotten involved in?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

OOC,Appreciate the note passing, I had very much meant to make that clearer.
You are quite right. It was simply speculation. I am certain you would like to interview the young lady who received the note.

Johnny leans forward. To be honest, I think Miss Downing needs to rest before making any travel plans. Obviously you need to ask your questions, but I am sure that nothing will happen to us under your protection. Once you have what you need we can rest someplace you think is secure.

There isn't any reason for you to think that you will not be able to protect her if she remains in London, is there?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The killer would be a fool to try anything with us watching," says Jones. "He does sound arrogant, but not foolish. Still, he may be quite mad, and there's no telling what a madman will do. He's obviously afraid of Scotland Yard's involvement, which is why he threatened you to keep you from showing me the letter. I'll accompany Miss Downing around London myself if I have to in order to protect her, but the surest way to keep her safe is to hunt this murderer down and put him away. Or muderers, there could be more than one of them. The Ritz should be safe enough at present, what with policemen scouring the place. I'll have to confer with the guv'nor to decide on a longer term plan of protection, but I see no reason why we can't ensure her safety. You did the right thing by turning in that letter. You never did answer my question. Do you have any idea what the killer is refering to about his 'affairs,' or the connection to Jackson Elias?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth glances at Johnny and then speaks up. "Jackson was a friend of mine, an author who was pursuing an investigation and sent me a telegram asking for help. When I went to meet him at his hotel, back in New York, I found him ... in a similar condition as the woman upstairs." She looks back at Johnny and takes a large gulp of her scotch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"So these Egyptian Murders aren't limited to London," says Jones, writing quickly. "Can you tell me the particulars of Jackson Elias's murder, and if you know of any other victims in New York?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,From my point of view, Elizabeth being protected by Sergeant Jones would be ideal, especially if she could charm Jones (and Johnny) into letting her continue her own investigations. An Agatha Christie level of realism where private individuals can 'help' the police is fine by me. My worry otherwise is that Elizabeth and Johnny will end up effectively under house arrest in The Ritz for months (or years) of real-time, while the other characters investigate. Or that I'd be forced to stage another attack on the Hotel just to keep you involved. Sorry for poking my nose in, but my first priority is for Jones to be a 'party member' by the end of the chapter. Absolute realism can take a back seat.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,That's fine with me, and I was already moving in that direction when I suggested personally protecting [b]Elizabeth[/b]. [b]Jones[/b] will want to continue his investigation while he's doing that, so he'd be glad to have her and [b]Johnny[/b] "help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”