IC: CH2 - LONDON - (Andrei, Maksim & Nethaniel)

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC: Andrei Zatisov, Alone in London

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel stops looking through his stacks and turns his attention back to Andrei.

I understand Mr. Zaitsov that you are quitte concerned for your safety and that you believe you are in immediate danger, but I implore you to calm yourself. If you are looking for clues regarding the Cult of the Bloody Tongue, they will not be found elsewhere now will they? If there is anything of value on the market, You'll find it here at the Dodgy Pages. Lock the doors if you wish..... Once we find the material, we can speak more onj the subject in my flat. It's just upstairs and it's not listed. Believe it or not Mr. Zaitsov, Alot of ill manered blokes walk into the dodgy pages.... I certainly don't wish any of them to know where I sleep now do I?
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei frowns.

"Fine. Lets talk in the back room. Bring your weapon back with you, just in case."

He waits until they're both in the back room before continuing.

"Yes. The Cult of the Bloody Tongue. Have you heard of it, then? Jackson was in Africa, something there scared him enough to leave. He knew it was following him, across the ocean. They got him in New York. Now, I don't care what you believe... but surely you must recognize that Jackson was onto something important, important enough to get him killed. For someone, or something, to chase him halfway across this Earth..."

Andrei rubs his forehead, remembering.

"...and remember, Mr. Moore - they even killed his publisher. Why would they kill him? Obviously, Jackson sent him something important."

He reaches down to his satchel and hauls out a dog-eared notebook.

"I copied all of Jackson's notes to his publisher. Every letter that looked important is written in this notebook. Ever since, I've been shot at, chased by people with machetes... We called the police in New York, they staged a raid on the cult's headquarters - none of the police came out alive. Or, maybe I just dreamed that."

He shakes his head, as if to clear it.

"No, Johnny said so. They all died. So you see, Mr. Moore, this book, all these documents," he gestures to his satchel, "is the ticket to something big and dangerous. I have a terrible feeling about it. That it may affect more than just myself, and the handful of others that are involved."

"I should add that I put your life at severe risk when I entered this store. I apologize, but I believe your days were numbered before I even arrived."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel grabs his copy containing information on the Bloody Tongue cult and then pauses, staring at the front door.

Ah here it is.

When Andrei begins to tell his story, he follows him into the back and listens, but is somewhat distracted by something Andrei said earlier.

I'm fairly certain we're being watched...

Being British and raised in a propper English fashion, Nethaniel didn't have the heart to interrupt Andrei, even with the possibility of imminent danger lurking just outside his his shop. When Andrei pauses for even an instant, Nethaniel cranes his head towards his front door and quite casually interrupts Andrei.

Yes.. that's all very interesting... I'm sorry... I heard someone at the front door trying to get in. Did you say you were being watched or perhaps followed?
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: Note that as he spent such a long time faithfully copying them out, I have assumed that Andrei has carefully transcribed even the unreadable parts of Jackson's London Notes, in the hope of figuring them out later.]
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei stops talking immediately and stays still, listening for a moment, glancing occasionally at Nathaniel Moore. The hairs raise on the back of his neck.

He eases himself carefully out of his chair, and edges the back-room door open very slowly, so he (or Moore) can look across the store and see who's at the front door. Hopefully he can open the door slowly enough that no one will notice the movement. He'll only open the back-room door enough that there's a small crack to look through.

[OC: Failed Listen Roll]
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Are we in Danger Mr. Zaitsov? I'd feel a tad more confortable under the circumstances if I had my crossbow now wouldn't I? Do you see anyone? The door is locked isn't it?

Nethaniel moves close to the door and peer's through it. He looks around the room, a cold chill running up his spine as his mind raced with the possibility of Satanic Dream Warriors busting into his shop. Then he stops and thinks... Nethaniel looks at Andrei . He was clearly paranoid and entirely scruffy looking.

Oh Bloody hell! I'm such a wanker!

This is rediculous. I do run a shop you know! I do get customers from time to time. Nethaniel puts a little more weight on the door, letting it swing open, giving him a full view of the shop.

Still a little creeped out, Nethaniel looks over his shop very carefully, searching for anything out of the ordinary.

Oc - Spot Hidden : pass. If he sees nothing, Nethaniel steps out into the shop and quickly approaches his front counter.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei remains in the back room, hidden from sight. He's already digging into his satchel for the pistol.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nethaniel doesn't notice anything out of place in his shop.

Unfortunately the blind has been drawn down over the front door's window, as part of Andrei's attempt to avoid being spotted and to give the appearance that the bookshop is closed. This means that Nethaniel cannot see whether anybody (customer or enemy) is stood outside his front door as he walks back into the shop.

Andrei retrieves his big revolver from the bottom of his satchel.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Dodgy Pages Bookstore - 14 Cecil Court, Covent Garden, London
3:20pm - Wednesday 28th January, 1925

When he reaches the front counter Nethaniel looks out through the shop window, trying to see who is outside.

In the back room Andrei holds his breath and grips his handgun tightly.

Nethaniel looks a little puzzled, Nobody there. Maybe it was just a customer after all.

Then, as he starts to turn away again, he sees what's lurking outside...
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei is standing in the back room, pressed against the wall near the open doorway. His gun is held tightly in both hands, prepared to take careful aim and shoot, if necessary. He's out of sight of the main room, relying solely on sound to determine what's going on.

He glances over at his satchel on the table. Several of his notebooks are laying on the table as well.

Its going to take me a few seconds to grab those notebooks.

He eyes the rear door of the shop, calculating how long it would take to escape, if something went wrong.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nethaniel picks up his crossbow from the counter and, holding the weapon in one hand, reaches for the front door with his other.

Andrei realises that Nethaniel has seen something outside. The back door is only six feet away, he could grab his notes and be outside in seconds.

But it is very common for small shops in London to have a back door leading to an alleyway, if they have come for him, followed him to London - to this shop! Then there must be cultists waiting even now, to burst in through the back door with their hideous masks and their terrible machetes.

The sound of Nethaniel turning the key of the front door snaps Andrei's attention back to the front.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nethaniel Moore

Nethaniel jerks open the door, revealing a startled looking Maksim Rukov who's just in the process of standing back up.

Maks smiles cheekily at Nethaniel; then he notices the 16th Century English crossbow that the shopkeeper is pointing at him.

Nethaniel takes a step back, away from the door, keeping the crossbow aimed steadily at Maksim's chest. "Step inside sir! And kindly explain what you think you’re doing skulking around with your ear to my door!"

When Maksim steps inside the shop Nethaniel continues:
"Now close the door. My friend back there," Maksim notices Andrei stood in the back room holding his service revolver, "claims he's being followed - stalked by the people who murdered a close friend of mine - he said that my life is in danger, and now I find you snooping outside my front door."

"I should warn you that I'm inclined to just shoot you."

The inside of the bookstore is crammed with shelves and trolleys piled high with occult literature from around the world - the air of the shop has that peculiar smell that only very old books have. There appears to be smaller sections of the shop given over to romantic novels and science-fiction, but it is clear to Maksim where Dodgy Pages' speciality lies.

[ooc: There are lots of images of the shops on Cecil Court on this website. Number 14 no longer exists on it's own, it's part of a larger store (12/14) which has only existed since the 90s. All of the shops still have their original storefronts, and they're all very similar in appearance.]
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei realises that he needs to ensure the rear alley is clear, so they have a safe getaway.

Not watching Moore, he stuffs his notebooks into his satchel. He's aware that he can be seen from the front door, but hopes anyone there will have to deal with Moore for at least a few seconds, allowing him a chance to make a getaway.

He hears the front door open.

Holding the pistol in one hand, satchel in the other, Andrei grabs the handle to the rear door. The pistol is slippery in his sweaty hand. He tugs the rear door open and steps back. The pistol is by his side, but he's ready to point and shoot.

Give yourself a second, don't just fire at anyone...

At this point, Andrei is ignoring the conversation in the front room, although he might be visible from there.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel opens the door and keeps his crossbow trained on Maksim. He pulls Maksim into the store.

Get in here! Are you the bloke who's been following my man here. Tell me yah daft poofter, fore I put a quiver tween your bloody sausage and egss. And what exactly are you doing sneaking round my shop? You fancy yourself a prowler there mate?

Nethaniel takes a few steps away from the door and from Maksim. He calls back to Andrei.

This your boy? This the wanker that's been givig you all the trouble there? Don't be such a silly git Zaitsov? Is he or isn't he?
Maksim Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Maksim Rukov »

Maksim simply stares at the crossbow, blood thumping between his temples. It seems as though everyone were talking underwater, the voices muted, the sounds shifting. He gives a very weak, trembling smile. For once he is stuck for words.

He doesn't step inside the shop!

He stays out on the front step, gulping, peering left and right. "W-witnesses," is all he can stammer out.
A reckless man's power is but a gun in the hands of a fool.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: You've not been sleeping again have you Laraqua? Glad you're back.
Ok, Maksim is still outside the door, unless Nethaniel wants to try grappling him.
He can see Andrei in the back room, putting the notebooks back in his satchel.
Andrei recognises Maks' voice.]
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

[OC: I'm assuming there's no one in the back alley, then?]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

[OOC: No, no cultists in the alley, the Brotherhood hasn't caught up with Andrei just yet.]
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei peers up and down the alley quickly, keeping his pistol concealed within the shop. The sound of Maks' voice is more of a relief than anything else.

He shuts the rear door, slips his pistol into the satchel, and paces up to the front door.

"I know him. He's okay. He was with me in New York."

Andrei is standing next to Moore, within the store, facing Maks. His body language is obvious: I feel closer to this stranger than I do to you, Maks.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Sorry Old Boy! Been a wee bit jumpy since Mr Zaitsov popped into me shop with his bag of papers and his bloody hand cannon.

Nethaniel lowers his crossbow and lets Maksim in.

Lock the door will you mate and welcome to the Dodgy Pages. If you lads are here to nick me register, I'm afraid I only got a few shillings in the till. If you want to talk some more on the Bloody Tongue cult, I'm sure I got a few texts and tomes on the subject. We can have a peek up in me flat if you'll give me a moment to gather me things? Help yourself to some tea in the back if that meets your fancy. Name's Nethaniel Moore...

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”