IC: CH2 - LONDON - First Thread

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC: Chapter 2 - LONDON, Starts 28th Jan 1925

Post by Timour Rukov »

"I hope you're not implying..." Timour begins, then pauses to bum a smoke, "that I'd leave it behind. You know that's out of the question."

He casually lights the cigarette, and leans in. "I'm glad to see you've decided to take me seriously about that. It couldn't hurt to have them along." Timour raises his eyebrows and nods at the pile of luggage, "Once they're safely stowed in the trunk, the heaviness won't be an issue."

Timour folds his arms, then unfolds them. He appears to be trying desperately to wait patiently, to no avail. He mumbles under his breath some foulness about the garage help's incompetence, and sucks on his cigarette fixatedly.
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Grafster »

Johnny shakes his head as he passes Timour a cigarette. "On the contrary. It events at Ju Ju House made me keenly aware that... from time to time... it might be necessary to... ah..." he glances around quickly "make a large impression on a large group of people."

"I'm just saying that, in the event of an emergency, it might be better to have a lot of options. Including options that you can put in your pocket, or a small bag."
Last edited by Grafster on Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny's rolls & Character Sheet
English: Purple | Chinese (Cantonese):Green
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

Fortunately the trunk of the Bentley has enough room for all of the 'heavy items' that four occupants could ever wish for.

Timour soon has a small arsenal stored in there. Just in case.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny gets directions to Fleet Street from a mechanic. "We won't be able to find Moore before Andrei does. Better to start some place where we can be effective. And I'd prefer if Miss Downing didn't show her face there. We were able to track Carlyle's movements using newspaper articles, and he wasn't connected to the biggest murders in New York in the last ten years.

We should be able to make some discreet inquiries, see what they have to say about Jackson and be back before too long has passed.
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

"Yes.....Andrei..." Timour's expression darkens and he mumbles under his breath incoherently again, and butts his cigarette.

"Well, you know, Elizabeth has a face a man can never forget. " Timour stares off distractedly and rubs his moustache. "Right. Sounds like you've dotted your i's and crossed your t's." Timour grins, "....as usual."

He slaps the hood of the Bentley as he walks round it and slips into the driver's seat. "Let's see what this baby can do!"
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Timour turns the key and the Bentley's powerful engine roars into life. Driving away from the Ritz Hotel he finds that the racing car is every bit as powerful he'd hoped, probably a little too powerful for the crowded streets of central London, but it will make an excellent getaway car if that becomes necessary.

Fleet Street, London
4:00pm - Wednesday 28th January, 1925

Fleet Street, London

Half an hour later Timour and Johnny are sat in the Bentley, parked on Fleet Street close to Ludgate Circus.

Across the road is a Victorian-era office block that has seen better days, according to several people who they've asked the office of The Scoop is located on the third floor.

[OOC: I've just noticed that I forgot to erase the location of The Scoop from the London Map :oops:]
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny's taken the opportunity to try to recall what they know about the Scoop during the drive over.

"Unfortunately, until that Australian professor looked over the notesnone of us had even noticed the mention of this paper."

He glances over at the nearby building. "Maybe we should just cut to the case, bring up Jackson's name and see what they say? We could say we're working for his estate, but that because of his death a few things need to be cleared up before we can proceed with the probate."
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour flashes Johnny a confused look and pulls to the side of the road in front of the Scoop.

"Well, that's really your forte, now isn't it? I don't recall that, but I'm sure it's because I was unconscious at the time." Timour scratches his head, and shuts off the engine.

"I'll just follow your lead, Johnny."

-Orson Wells
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

"I'd tell you more but I know little. Andrei may have figured out more during his studies of the notes during the trip, but I if so he hasn't let me know anything yet."

Johnny gets out of the car and makes his way across the street, slowly mounting the steps to the office of the Scoop.

OOC
Once inside he explains that he's a private detective, from the US, representing the estate of Jackson Elias and he'd like a few minutes of someone's time. He starts off with general questions, trying to suss out what sort of relationship, if any, Jackson had with the Scoop, or, more specifically with any staff. If it doesn't look like this is the case he'll have to shift gears
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour has to double step to catch up to Johnny's lead, but manages to reach the door at about the same time. He tries to look casual, keeping an ear on what Johnny is asking about, but looking around as well.

He runs a finger over a dusty shelf, looks up to the ceiling, and scopes out the joint for anything looking out of place. He also pays close attention to the men Johnny is speaking with, for any hint of discomfort given the topic of discussion.

Click here to read about Johnny and Timour's visit to The Scoop.

-Orson Wells
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

The Ritz Hotel
The Ritz Hotel
ritz1906.jpg (23.95 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
The Ritz Hotel - 150 Piccadilly, London
5:05pm - Wednesday 28th January, 1925

Elizabeth and Caroline arrive back at The Ritz only a minute before Timour roars up to the entrance in the Bentley with Johnny holding tightly onto the passenger seat.

Dinner will be served at 5:30, formal evening dress is of course a requirement.

There's still no sign of either Maksim or Andrei.

[OOC: Remember that Grafster can't post for a few days, so just assume Johnny's listening quietly for now.]
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Caroline looks a little dour as she comes in--more dour than usual, anyway. The day at the Foundation was ... informative, but it seemed that every clue just led to another one, that everyone had something to hide.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"So, where's my husband?" Caroline asks, suddenly brightening and looking around the room. "Never here when you need him, is he?"
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny perches by the window, idly scanning the street. He looks a bit tired.

"I'm afraid I haven't seen him. And the front desk says he hasn't checked in yet. Perhaps he is still consoling Andrei?"

"How was your visit to the Foundation?"
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

"We got a good tour by Edward, Mr. Gavigan that is. He seemed to know quite a bit about the Expedition. He was of the opinion that that black woman was cheating them all. She promised great finds and then disappeared with all of the Expedition's money. But I asked too many questions and he became suspicious." She looks embarrassed.
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour had sauntered up to meet the ladies with a grin on his face, in clear satisfaction of his trip to the Scoop. He stood there casually for a moment, listening in, proudly admiring the car and only paying half attention.

He snaps back to the conversation abruptly, however, when Elizabeth begins to recount their findings.

"Uh....suspicious? What sort of fellow was he? Did he look....dangerous....or threatening...in any way?"

Timour shoves his hands in his pockets and looks disappointed, but the expression only lasts for a moment. Then, a flicker of mysterious amusement crosses his eyes. "You dolls get all the action, huh?"

-Orson Wells
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Well," Caroline says, "I don't think Edward was dangerous, at least not to us. It seemed more as if he were holding something back and told us a cover story rather than everything he knew. We shoudln't be surprised; I doubt we'd tell everything we knew to strangers, either."

She turns to Beth. "Oh, please don't be sorry, darling. You didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure I wouldn't have done as well as you did. He was just being tight-lipped, maybe for good reason.

"We should find out more, though. There are three options, as I see it. One would be to try to look up some more information about Gavigan. That might be a good idea regardless of what else we do.

"The second is to try to take him into our confidence and hope he tells us more out of a sense of duty. Without knowing more about him or his motives, I can't recommend that.

"The third would be watch him or the Foundation, or--" She stops for a moment. "Or do a little after-hours snooping at the Foundation ourselves.

"Really, he may not know that much more, but I'm confident he's keeping something back." She looks around for reactions, knowing that she's probably said more and proposed more than she ever has with them at one time. For a moment, she wishes Maks were there for some reassurance.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny's face has featured a unattractive, pinched frown for most of the conversation.

If we are presuming that Jackson was onto something. And since we're all here I think we are, then we have to accept the possibly that his superficially lunatic concerns about criminal groups operating as religious gangs in London are as correct as his concerns about New York.

The implications of our conversations with the gentleman who runs the Scoop are basically.... Jackson thought he was being followed. And these groups were tied with both the Penhew Foundation and with attacks, including the Egyptian Murders, in the area.

I'd like to be circumspect, when possible. Would you,"
Johnny looks over at Miss Downing, "object to spending the evening ostentatiously spending money and appearing unconcerned about anything this evening? In the improbable event that this Edward person is connected to the group, or you were followed then that should give the impression that we are not serious about pursuing the matter. The hotel would be the safest, but you could always go visit that painter Timour was interested in."

"Did Edward seem to be married?"

"I will surveil the Foundation today, if possible follow Edward home and identify where he lives, and then return to the foundation to keep an eye on things. Tomorrow, during the day, I can attempt to enter his house, provided he doesn't have an excess of servants or a homebound wife. It should be less secure, and we may find something of interest."

"Having seen the Foundation during the night, and seen what we can see at his house tomorrow we can consider how prudent it will be to break into the Foundation tomorrow."
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

Elizabeth sighs. "I'd love to be unconcerned about anything this evening. I can turn a gay face to the world." She smiles to prove her point. "What painter?"

"Oh, I didn't get the impression he was. He seemed the old bachelor type to me. But I didn't notice his ring finger."
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

imme wrote: "Oh, I didn't get the impression he was. He seemed the old bachelor type to me. But I didn't notice his ring finger."
Johnny nods. "That will make things significantly easier."
imme wrote:Elizabeth sighs. "I'd love to be unconcerned about anything this evening. I can turn a gay face to the world." She smiles to prove her point. "What painter?"
Johnny shrugs, "Just someone Jackson had some sort of fascination with. Lives nearby. Paints strange things." The diminutive detective gestures vaguely in Timour's direction as if answers will be more forthcoming from the handsome Russian.

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”