IC: CH2 - LONDON - Back at the Ritz

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: IC: CH2 - LONDON - Back at the Ritz

Post by Laraqua »

Maksim takes a hold of the slip of paper, reads it, then promptly eats it, chewing slowly with a bemused look on his face. Oh well, at least Elizabeth has taken control again. Far better her than Andrei....
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei is barely listening to the discussion. His eyes flicker around the room, his brow is furrowed and he shakes his head subtly as though arguing to himself.

He takes the Nautical Chart from Johnny, looks at it for a moment, then carefully folds it into his satchel.

"Well, it's decided then. Lets go, Caroline."

He heads to the door to the hallway hesitantly. There's obviously something he wants to say.

He opens the door to leave, then turns back on the group and asks, in as casual a manner as possible, "What are the chances that this Gavigan fellow at the Penhew Foundation is related to the cultists? Do you think he had something to do with all this?"
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

More likely than not he is involved. It would be unlikely people could store and ship crates as obviously as they have been without his knowledge.
Last edited by Grafster on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny's rolls & Character Sheet
English: Purple | Chinese (Cantonese):Green
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

"Ready Maksim?" Timour wraps the Browning in spare blankets, to conceal it from casual observers.

"This is just for emergencies then, I'd rather meet al-Sayed with a good gun, then with nothing! We'll take the Bentley."

"Nethaniel, you could join us, you would not be recognized in the club."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Caroline turns to Andrei and Johnny. "I suspect Gavigan is complicit, not only for the reason Johnny notes but also for the nervousness he showed Beth and me in talking about the Carlyle Expedition. Plus, Beth and I noticed that there were very few items, and none really of importance, from that expedition in the foundation. Gavigan said it was because they were on loan elsewhere, but what if there had been more, and they were only just recently being moved out for God knows what reason?"

She grabs her coat and medical bag. "Anyway, we should go before I lose my nerve."
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

The club? I suppose mate... I'm rather anxious to identify these items but if you suppose I'd be of use I'll swing along.

He then looks to Andrei..

It's important that I take some time to look over those letters Andrei.. If we're to stand any chance against whomever is pulling at these cultists strings right? We'll compare notes after this rotten bit of business is done then won't we?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

Maksim simply nods and moves to follow his brother.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei looks pleased about Johnny and Caroline's comments on Gavigan's complicity.

It's important that I take some time to look over those letters Andrei.. If we're to stand any chance against whomever is pulling at these cultists strings right? We'll compare notes after this rotten bit of business is done then won't we?

Andrei nods to Nathaniel, but his eyes are exceptionally cold.

"Yes. We can compare notes."

He stares at Nathaniel for a few more uncomfortable moments, turns to leave, then hustles back into the room and gives Elizabeth a big hug. He whispers into her ear, "I don't want them to hurt you. I'll make sure they don't."

He releases his embrace and leaves the room without making eye contact with anyone.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

Caroline trails Andrei out the room. "Wish us luck," she says, a little apprehension leaking through.
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

Elizabeth agrees with Caroline that there's something Gavigan was hiding.

Elizabeth takes Caroline's hand. "Please, be careful." She gives her friend's hand a squeeze and then lets her go.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nethaniel wrote:The club? I suppose mate... I'm rather anxious to identify these items but if you suppose I'd be of use I'll swing along.
"Excellent, we will make a man of you yet!"

Before leaving Timour speaks to Johnny, "Take care with the English cops my friend. They will blame the Chinaman and the Russians for everything if they can."
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"You too, dear," Caroline says to Beth in parting. I'm not sure she's any safer than I am, Caroline thinks sadly.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

As Timour speaks Johnny tugs on the brim of his hat in acknowledgment, his face expressionless.

Then he gets a peculiar look on his face. He looks at the still-folded letter he passed to Miss D a moment ago. Gavigan was rather tall... Might I see that?
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"Hmm? Oh, right." Elizabeth unfolds the letter, angling so that Johnny can see over her shoulder. "Where did this come from?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Looking over Elizabeth's shoulder, Johnny can clearly see the contents of the letter:
The Letter,The letter has been typed onto plain paper and carefully folded. [code] Dear Miss Downing, By the time you read this letter you will be beginning to understand the extent of my power. Your friend Jackson Elias poked his nose into matters that should not have concerned him. Consider this to be a final warning and run off back to New York like a good little girl. I understand the thirst for adventure amongst the youthful, but this story will have no happily ever afters, nor will your fairy Godmother appear to whisk you away. If you do not heed this warning you will die a most gruesome death. [/code][code] If you show this letter to Scotland Yard, then I will know. Goodbye Miss Downing, do not worry your pretty head about my affairs ever again. [/code] OOC: I had intended to produce a proper handout for this letter, but forgot. If possible I'll replace it tonight. Edit: I split the letter in two, as the full code text did not appear when viewed on my phone.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth's eyes widen as she reads the letter. Once she has read it, and re-read it, she hands it to Johnny. She looks around at those still in the room and gestures to the gruesome scene behind her. "This is meant as a warning to me, of what will happen if we keep investigating." The letter seems to have struck a chord with her, but not the one it had meant to. "I do not take well to being threatened," she says, her voice steely.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Timour is incredulous, "They did this just to scare you?"

He gestures angrily towards the body of the maid.

"I will kill them all!"
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei looks furious.

"I'm going to tear the Penhew Foundation to the ground. If I find any sign that Gavigan is a part of this I'm going to hunt him down and wring his neck."

He steps back into the room for a quick minute and examines the note, the envelope, and the penmanship.

"Johnny, do you think Gavigan sent this note?"
OC,Are there any characteristics of the note that stand out? Expensive paper, type of pen, unique penmanship, etc?
"Unless you're going to give this to the police, perhaps we should take this with us to see if we can match the stationery or penmanship with anything inside the Foundation."

He looks around the room, assessing the general mood, then says,

"I do not intend on sneaking quietly around once I'm inside the Penhew Foundation. I'm going to break down any door that is in my way. If Gavigan is a part of this, I want to know by the end of the night. Perhaps that means some of you should come along. Timour?"
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

OOC,the letter is typed on plain paper with no water-marking. It might be possible to match the typeset with the typewriter used if you can find it. The quality is good with no defective letters, but that might be a clue as well.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny has scanned the letter several times. He allows others to view it as they like before tucking it carefully into a notebook.

I inquired as to a description of the person who left the note. A tall, fair haired man. Dressed as a gentlemen with appropriate manners; wearing a wrist watch. He looks at the body, then back at his notebook.

It's a strange note. It's impossible that someone could not take, he gestures at the room, this as a threat.

Speaking directly to the Lady, mocking her age, childish references to "fairy godmothers" and "my power". Doesn't seem like the work of the same person.

Putting it down on paper and leaving it at the front desk where someone gets a good look at you? While accomplices are committing heinous crimes upstairs?

Johnny looks at Andrei and Caroline. If both of these things were done by Gavigan he is almost certainly arrogant to the point of stupidity. Or so concerned about scaring us off that he has become reckless. Either way I don't suggest confronting him. This should be enough to convince the police to hold him.

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”