IC: CH2 - LONDON - Back at the Ritz

IC Threads from the current chapter that are not currently active.
Basically just to declutter the main forum.

Moderators: Laraqua, Raiko

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC: CH2 - LONDON - Back at the Ritz

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Nethaniel stops washing his hands and grabs a hand towel. He turns around to listen, still concerend about the state of Caroline's hands.

No.... One more time luv! The nails... it's still under the nails.

He ponders the significance of a criminal organization funding a cult like th Bloody Tongue. Escpecially a cult with a connection to this sort of brutal mysticism. He then turns to Andrei.

What in bloody blue blazes did you get me into Mister Zaitsov? Well... not that I'm complaining rather... I find this all incredibly fascinating but I can't help but wonder what what you mean to do? I don't forsee the cult of the Bloody Tongue giving up the chase so easily. In fact if they have the resources you're proposing, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they followed us back here now is it?
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei grabs another piece of the machinery and turns it over in his hands, trying to ascertain its purpose.

"Yes, they may have followed us, Mister Moore. There's no use living in fear about it, though, is there? Let them come!"

Contrary to his words, Andrei glances fearfully at the darkened window.

"It seems that we have a number of options, then. This Penhew Foundation - this is something we need to look into further. We need to determine what this is..." he shakes the device in his hand.

"We also have a lead from the Arabs who attacked us at the British Museum. One of the men had a card for a club in Soho."

Andrei gets out of the chair and closes all the curtains.

"I think we have him on the run now. I propose we maintain the initiative and drive to this club in Soho as soon as possible. Tonight!"

Andrei stands over everyone unnervingly, eyeing them intently with his piercing blue eyes. A subtle grin creeps across his face.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

The machinery parts that Johnny acquired from the warehouse look sophisticated, high-tech and very expensive – constructed from strange light-weight alloys, they are quite unlike any mechanical or electrical components that any of the investigators have ever seen before.

To Maksim and Timour the components look like they might be a part of and aeroplane engine, although it would certainly be unlike the engine that powered their own fighter during the Great War.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

"Oh, you're right," Caroline says to Nathaniel, her skin already a bit pink and raw. "One more time, then.

"So, Mr. Moore, are you married? As you can see"--she shakes the hand bearing "her" ring at him--"I am, to one of the Russian lugs, the one who can't remember he has a flashlight." The last she says rather loudly. "So I could be in the market for a new husband." She smiles warmly.
jtull_84
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by jtull_84 »

Gwen has been sitting numbly, taking in as much information as she can. She laughs uncomfortably at Caroline and Nethaniel's antics before breaking into a warmer laugh. When Andrei mentions the club, she speaks up.
"Um, Andrei... Clubs close in 10 minutes, or have been closed for an hour already. And most of us don't seem to have the, enthusiasm, you possess right now. It might be best to war for tomorrow. I still can't believe all this is real, but I suppose it has to be.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny does not stare at Miss Downing while she speaks. But he does stop rolling his cigarette and sit there, somewhat dumbstruck.

I'm... very sorry to hear you were attacked. He manages to say.

As the conversation continues he sits and listens. After a while he finishes rolling his cigarette and lights up.
Johnny's rolls & Character Sheet
English: Purple | Chinese (Cantonese):Green
imme
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by imme »

Johnny wrote:I'm... very sorry to hear you were attacked.
"Yes, well, maybe we will all sleep with the lights on tonight." Elizabeth gives Johnny a tired smile.

"Andrei, this lady," she turns to Gwen, "may I call you Gwen, by the way? I feel as if in all this excitement we were never properly introduced, but having gone through it all we must now forgo formalities, don't you agree?" Without waiting for a response (since she assumes it will be positive), she turns back to Andrei. "Andrei, Gwen is quite right, and besides, I do not think that we have anyone 'on the run', nor is running off to the lair of evil villains likely to do any good. Think of what happened to the police in Harlem. We have learned quite a lot today, and have many avenues of investigation to pursue, but tonight I think our best course of action is to all stay here in the relative safety of the Ritz and recuperate. I do not want to see anyone else hurt." She says the last sentence with significant emotion coloring her voice.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Grafster wrote:Johnny will almost certainly take a look. (viewed through his lense of extreme skepticism). You can link post if it's easier. No point in retyping.
Lighting up his cigarette, Johnny takes a closer look at the painting while listening to the conversation.

The painting shows a large room in a museum; the room contains Egyptian exhibits - sculptures and statues. In the background a young woman's body lies in a pool of blood. Two men stand over the body, one has his back turned so Johnny can’t be sure, but he looks rather like Maksim Rukov; the other is definitely the strange Englishman Nathaniel Moore! In the foreground Andrei Zatisov flees from the scene - holding a revolver. He's running towards something insubstantial that lurks in the shadows, Johnny tries to see more clearly what it is, but the artist has painted it in such a way that it is impossible to make out any details.

Disturbing though it is, the painting is a masterpiece, depicting the museum in great detail. The ‘creature’ is nothing that Johhny recognises, indeed it is more a suggestion of something dreadful and insubstantial lurking in the darkest shadows - waiting for Andrei to approach.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei is completely quiet now. He's back to his usual brooding, but this time it seems a little different. He's not looking up occasionally like he used to, trying to see if anyone is paying attention to him. Now he's just staring into the distance with a childish pout on his lips.

Andrei looks up when Johnny picks up the painting, and heads to the door and slips out. If anyone was watching, he had his hotel key in his hand, so you can assume he's gone to his own room.
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour looks at the others as Andrei leaves, making eye contact with Maks and Nathaniel, then follows after Andrei. He takes the machinery pieces with him, if they were left behind.

"I'll go see what this is all about," he mutters as he leaves.

[OC This has peaked Timour's curiousity, and he'd yell after Andrei until he caught up to him.]
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

"No, please let me." Elizabeth stops Timour and follows after Andrei herself.

ooc: Sorry, Elizabeth's been planning on confronting Andrei tonight.
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour looks at Elizabeth crossly, "What do you mean, no? This is business...if you wish to join me come along. If this is more about your lovebird nonsense, perhaps you should visit him in his room later and have a personal chat, hm?" He says it roughly, storming out of the room after her.
You sleep well tonight because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf...

-Orson Wells
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth clenches her jaw and ignores Timour following along behind her.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

Andrei must have been moving fast after he left the suite, because he's already halfway to the main staircase when Elizabeth and Timour enter the hall.

He glances back at them, then turns to continue down the hall, then realizes he's not going to avoid some kind of conversation. He dawdles awkwardly, clutching his satchel, waiting for them to catch up.
imme
Disciple
Disciple

Post by imme »

Elizabeth walks up to Andrei and puts her hands on her hips. "You cannot keep running away like this. It does no good." She looks over at Timour and hesitates with whatever else she had been ready to say.
Grafster
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Grafster »

Johnny seems to be unfazed by the painting. He looks it over carefully, trying to pick out subtle details.

Remarkably good depictions. That's Andrei and Maksim and.... he pauses and returns to the drama unfolding around him. Who is this woman supposed to be? He points at the painting. Are the police going to be looking for us?
Johnny's rolls & Character Sheet
English: Purple | Chinese (Cantonese):Green
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

"I'm not running away." Andrei pulls nervously at the back of his neck and tries to avoid eye contact. He's been more distant lately, to be sure, but he almost seems like a different person now. His lower lip quivers like he's about to cry, and he seems extremely uncomfortable with this confrontation.

"I just want to go to my room."
Timour Rukov
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Timour Rukov »

Timour looks a bit uncomfortable at Elizabeth's confrontational stance, and quickly changes the subject.

"Andrei! You've....said some.....interesting things." He looks at Elizabeth awkwardly, then walks between them and tries to catch Andrei's arm to guide him away from Elizabeth.

He speaks in hushed tones, "This....club? You really think.....well that it's...." Timour furrows his brow, trying to formulate words, then leans in, looking at Elizabeth nervously, "Do they know where we are?"

-Orson Wells
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

In the Hallway, outside Elizabeth’s suite – The Ritz Hotel, Piccadilly, London
10:20pm – Wednesday 28th January, 1928

Further down the hallway – behind Andrei and between him and the main staircase – a bell chimes once as the elevator halts on this floor. The three investigators hear the elevator doors rattle as the bellboy slides them open.

It is impossible for Timour or Elizabeth to see who is inside the elevator from where they are standing, particularly with Andrei’s bulk in the way.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper

Post by coffee demon »

The hair stands up on the back of Andrei's neck at the sound of the bell. He spins around, frozen in place, waiting for its occupants to emerge.

[OC: How far are we from the elevator, and how far from the rooms Elizabeth rented?]

Return to “Locked IC Threads (Ch2)”