Page 1 of 1

IC - Tewfik's Spice Shop

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:57 pm
by Raiko
This thread continues the story from the Ritz Hotel HERE
This thread is for Nethaniel, Gwen, Caroline, Maksim and Timour.

Re: IC - Tewfik's Spice Shop

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:58 pm
by Raiko
Arbour Street, Soho – Across the street from al-Sayed’s Spice Shop
3:00pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

The Rukovs sit in the Bentley together with Caroline, Nethanieland Gwen. Across the road is Tewfik al-Sayed’s small shop, a neat two story building.

The store front opens straight onto the street and has a wooden door next to a small display window, a large rack of bottled spices can be seen through the window. Above the display window the shops sign simply reads: “Finest Spices.”

There are two more windows on the upper floor that face Arbour Street, both have netted curtains which conceal any view into the interior.

Al-Sayed’s shop appears to be popular, at least a dozen customers have entered and left the small shop during the fifteen minutes that the investigators have observed the store front – these were a diverse group, as mixed as the crowds walking the street here, although the majority of the customers were female.

At this moment in time an elderly lady is exiting the shop, the investigators are fairly sure that no other customers remain inside, unfortunately the large spice rack completely obstructs the view into the shop.

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:20 pm
by Decrepit
"Well, this looks safe enough," Caroline says, a bit of irony in her voice. "It's a shame we can't see into the store from here. Seems like a good idea to me to look for other entrances and exits before going in, though, if that can be done carefully. I think at least Gwen or I should go in, considering most of the customers seem to be women."

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:39 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Good idea Caroline. It's a shame we can't get him to leave the shop so we can have a proper look see at his wares and storage facilities.

Nethaniel removes his glasses and thoroughly wipes them clean..

Perhaps you could interest him in a text at the museum. He might close up shop and then we could break in. Blimey! Would you listen to me Gwen.. I sound like a bloody scrub now don't I... A regular robber! Soon the Bobby's will have me photo on the tele.

Seemingly quite amused with himself, Nethaniel adds...

Now then... What do you gents think?

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:02 am
by Laraqua
"If we wait until the shop closes, he may have other business," says Maksim. "Hell, he might leave for lunch but I doubt it. At night time though? Who knows? But there's a chance he might be one of the many men in London who go to the local pub."

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 am
by DSIGFUSS
Well, do we have time to wait. I could certain use another spot of tea.

Nethaniel looks back to Caroline.

Maybe you should go and have a looky -loo luv to get a proper lay of the land before we start in with all this nasty business.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 am
by Laraqua
"That's a good point, Nethaniel, Gwen and Timour goes in, take a look, buy some spices, see if it has an Open Til sign and then go get some tea and relax before we drive each other mad," says Maksim. "Then we'll come over here, me and Caroline can pretend to swoon over each other under one of these oh-so-romantic street lights, while the others wait in some alley, when we see him leave - if we do, then we call you out, break in and go do a proper search. If he doesn't leave, Timour and I knock on the door till we rouse him, beat him unconscious and search all the same... Don't worry, we won't kill him. He'll just wake up with a head ache After all, a 5-minute 'Oh, I twisted my ankle' distraction is unlikely to give us enough time to search the entire place top to bottom, and since no cultist worth his salt is going to place his big, book of scary open on a shelf somewhere for easy perusal, it'll probably take us an hour just to find where the evidence is hidden."

OOC: However, I don't know if CoC has a system for subdual damage. Which means that in this world we're playing, trying to smack someone unconscious, 9/10 times leaves them dead. Pretty unrealistic odds, otherwise.

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:31 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel listens intently to Maksim's plan, his eyebrows raising at the most appropriate moments.

Right then...

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:25 am
by Timour Rukov
"Well, I do like the sounds of that!" Timour says with a grin, slapping his brother on the back loudly. "You still have a few tricks up your sleeve, eh Maks! ha ha ha!"

He cranes his neck to view the door to the shop, "Well, no time like the present, hm?"

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm
by Decrepit
"All right then, now that that's settled ..." Caroline says, rolling her eyes. "Maks, must your every thought be food, love, or violence?"

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:12 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Hmm...

Indeed! Though it is a sociological fact that the desire to eat, kill and procreate has been the driving force behind man's most lucrative endevours. The latter of three driving the others of coarse if you catch my meaning... eh old chap! Nudge Nudge and all that!

Nethaniel winks at Maksim and then promptly cleans his glasses.

That aside... Good look Miss Caroline...

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 am
by Raiko
OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] I don’t think you’re waiting on me here. I’m back now, so I’ll post as soon as your characters make a move. [quote][i]OOC: However, I don't know if CoC has a system for subdual damage. Which means that in this world we're playing, trying to smack someone unconscious, 9/10 times leaves them dead. Pretty unrealistic odds, otherwise.[/i][/quote] I forgot to check, but I think it has a really simple one. Something like you trade in all of your damage for a single percentile chance of a KO. I believe the chances of a KO are fairly high if you surprise your opponent (especially if you use a club), otherwise you’ll probably have to beat the guy into submission (see below). ;) Actual D&D style “subduel/non-lethal” damage isn’t really necessary, any reasonable non-fanatic NPC is going to surrender before taking dangerous amounts of damage in a fist fight (or after one bullet wound for that matter). And in real-life people die when fist fights go too far, or from “lucky” punches. The problem with this game is too many fanatical NPCs. :P :lol:

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:42 am
by Laraqua
Maksim gives her a look that would kill. His previously friendly features darken, his jaw clenches, the muscles tightening, the corners twitching, and he straightens his fingers as though in a conscious effort to keep from clenching them into fists. "Look here, doctor, but who was the one who figured the last good thing to do to alleged cultists was to shoot them with such high calibre bullets half the neighborhood would be at risk?! Who was the only one who figured, y'know what, mathematically, high calibre bullets from a machine gun ... paper thin cheap-ass walls ... equals no protection for anyone in the next building ... hell, in the next street?! Where were you when I was trying to make sure that no more stray bullets would hit stray kids?! Where were you, again?"

OOC: Remember the last cultist's store conversation? :p

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:01 pm
by Decrepit
"I'm sorry. That was thoughtless," Caroline says.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:29 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel cleans his glasses a third time even though he knows they are perfectly spotless. The English gentleman is not one for confrontation.

Goodness! That must have been something...

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:19 am
by Laraqua
Caroline's words seem to take the wind right out of Maksim and he deflates a little, flashes a sheepish smile, and runs his fingers through the back of his hair. "Yeah, well, uh... Thoughtless is fine. Everyone is thoughtless sometimes. Just don't, well, don't make a point in believing it." He then clears his throat. "Okay then, now that we've got a real awkward mood, I guess it's time for the others to go into the spice shop and us to go awkwardly stand in an alley. It'll look weird if they see us go in there and then lurk outside for awhile. I just, well, I'm figuring that any attempt to use a distraction to go look-abouts, well, even a non-cultist might open fire on someone who's broken into their house... Or well, club them like a baby seal... Here's hoping he just goes out for dinner."

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:14 am
by Timour Rukov
Timour begins to snicker and pulls his flask from his coat pocket. He takes a long healthy swig, replacing the cap and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Well! Enough jawing! Maks.....how bout you share that pretty set of legs and get Caroline in to flash her stuff. Maybe the ol coot will be more receptive to a pretty set of....er.....eyes!" He averts his gaze quickly after, fixating on the door to the shop, "Are we ready to beat the door down yet! Maks....you do the talking!" He flings open the door and steps out impatiently.

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:23 am
by Laraqua
"Uh, Timour, when did you stop listening to the plan?" Maksim asked. "The store's got no chance of being closed and if we get seen in there and then later, on the street, any paranoid would realize what's up. Whoever's going to watch when the sun goes down to keep an eye out for when he leaves, can't go into the shop now. All you're going to do is go in there, see what the shop is like, see who works there, see if there's closing times on the door and then leave. You hardly need to talk to him. Trust me, brother, who is the con artist in the family?"

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 am
by Raiko
OOC,[color=#FF0000][u][b]OOC:[/b][/u][/color] Are you going with Maksim's plan? Starting with this? [quote="Laraqua"]"That's a good point, Nethaniel, Gwen and Timour goes in, take a look, buy some spices, see if it has an Open Til sign and then go get some tea and relax before we drive each other mad," says Maksim. [/quote]

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 am
by DSIGFUSS
Spoiler:
Sounds good to me unless anyone thinks he might recognize Nethaniel... Either way... Nethaniel would be a likely candidate to go into an occult spice shop.

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am
by Timour Rukov
Timour crosses his arms and appears to sulk in the seat, furrowing his brow and setting his jaw.

"Aw c'mon....I'd really rather beat the door down or have Caroline go sweet talk him."
He says it in an offhanded way, to no one in particular, as his own determined way of whining.

OC Continue on with it....Timour knows he's not going to win this argument....but he'll whine regardless that he can't go in guns and brawn style. :D

Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:46 pm
by Raiko
Tewfik’s Spice Shop
3:10pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

A notice displayed in the shop door reads simply ‘Al-Sayed’s Finest Spices – open Mon-Sat 9:00am to 5:00pm.’

Inside the shop there is a fine aroma of exotic spices, al-Sayed’s stock is of high quality. A single staff member, a tall slim Egyptian man with a moustache wearing a Fez stands behind the cash register. Rows of bottled spices are on the shelves behind him and around the other walls of the shop.

As well as the front door, there are two other doors out of the shop, one immediately to the left of the entrance appears to lead to a staircase, another at the back of the shop probably leads to a storeroom, as it doesn’t appear strong enough to be a back door.
OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] I’ll post a floorplan tonight. [quote="DSIGFUSS"] an occult spice shop [/quote] Please make occult and/or cthulhu mythos rolls if you wish to check the stock for “occult spice.” :P

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:42 pm
by Laraqua
Maksim saunters along the road, checking for alleys or other convenient hidey holes to leave the others in while he and Caroline pretend to fancy each other. Awkward...

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:30 pm
by Decrepit
Caroline tags along with Maks, doing the best she can to both seem nonchalant, like a girl in love with her man, and a canny detective "casing a joint." Feeling ill-suited to both roles, she's sure she comes off as a fraud to anyone who might see her.

"So ... um ... I'm not sure you've ever told me about ... um ... life at home? Like, what it's like where you grew up?" Her awkwardness turns statements into questions.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:04 am
by Laraqua
"Nope, I never did tell you about any of that stuff," Maksim says, then pauses once they're well out of sight of the shop windows. "Grew up in Russia, went to fancy schools, fancy parties, did a lot of reading in giant libraries full of books written by authors who were largely full of themselves. How about you?"

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:03 am
by DSIGFUSS
Spoiler:
ooc - rolled a 49: Pass occult spice check :D lol

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:01 pm
by Raiko
Tewfik’s Spice Shop
3:13pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

The investigators spend a few minutes browsing around the shop and Nethaniel keeps his eyes open for anything that looks occult; the only vaguely occult oriented materials though are items that would be found in any decent spice shop. There is nothing on the shop floor to indicate that this shop is out of the ordinary.

The proprieter keeps his eyes on the perspective customers, eventually asking, “Are you ok? Is there anything that I can assist you with?”

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:45 am
by Decrepit
Laraqua wrote:"Nope, I never did tell you about any of that stuff," Maksim says, then pauses once they're well out of sight of the shop windows. "Grew up in Russia, went to fancy schools, fancy parties, did a lot of reading in giant libraries full of books written by authors who were largely full of themselves. How about you?"
"Oh, you may think I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, but, really, if it weren't for Beth, I don't know where I'd be. This life that I lead--used to lead--I owe to her and her taking me under her wing." She whispers in his ear, "How are we doing? Are we fooling anyone?"

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:30 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel thinks for a bit, unsure how to start his distraction. Instead he decides to just dive in and let the almighty sort it out.

Oh indeed! I am looking for some wormwood. I've a friend or two in town and I was hoping to surprise the lads with some inner exploration if you catch my meaning?

Nethaniel fights the urge to clean his glasses. He crosses his arms behind his back and walks past the proprietor. He thinks out loud as he begins his fake spice searching, continuing to talk in hopes that the proprietor will follow.

You've quite a selection here my good man. Perhaps you could make some suggestions on some home made flu remedies while I've got your noggin'? Me mum's got a bad case of the whooping cough and me dad's depressed that he married a nag. Ha Ha Ha! You don't have anything for that do you sir? For the nag bit that is? I imagine a whooping cough remedy is a dime a dozen in a place like this now isn't it? Now something to make me mum keep shut! Now that's something I'd sell me molars for now isn't it?

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:14 am
by Laraqua
"We don't need to fool anyone yet, my dear, it'd seem silly if we lurked out here for hours, I'm going to wait until closing time before we pretend to swoon, but you are doing very well," says Maksim. "As to the silver spoon, mine was platinum and diamond encrusted..." He smirks, giving a little shrug, but there is a twitch at the corner of his lips as though a memory, unbidden, was rising within his mind.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:11 am
by Timour Rukov
Timour has followed Nathaniel's lead, into the shop, and bumbles about like an elephant in a glass house, looking very much like a sore thumb.

He feigns interest in the curio cases for a while, staring long and hard at a crystal he spotted that he likes the shiny reflection of. In it, he can see Nathaniel walking away with the shop keeper, and stays just close enough to keep his ear trained on the conversation. If the shop keeper follows, he slowly inches closer and closer to the cash desk, to spot a few 'black books' or other personal telephone directories the store owner might keep by the till.

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 pm
by Raiko
Arbour Street, Soho - Outside Tewfik’s Spice Shop
3:15pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

Maksim and Caroline spot a narrow archway that appears to lead to an alleyway behind the shops on Arbour Street. It is only about twenty feet away from the entrance to al-Sayed’s Spice Shop so it would also serve well as a place to lurk/smooch later on.
OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Sorry Laraqua, I missed your query earlier. :oops:
Inside Tewfik’s Spice Shop.
3:15pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

Al-Sayed looks flustered, “But sir! These are finest spices, from Egypt and the Orient...”

“...not the stuff of hokum and herbal remedies.”
He steps out from behind the counter and follows Nethaniel into the corner, leaving the till unattended for a moment. “But I believe that many people swear by these roots,” Tewfik takes down a small glass jar from one of the shelves, “grind them up and a small pinch of them should be sufficient.”

He hands the small jar to Nethaniel.

Glancing at the counter, Timour notices that there is a black ledger book beside the till.
OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Note, there’s absolutely nothing suspicious looking about the Spice Shop, everything appears to be as it should be.

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 pm
by Decrepit
OOC,Apparently [b]Maks[/b] has already tired of [b]Caroline[/b]? Who's [b]Catherine[/b]? :)

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:05 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Oops, fixed!

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:05 pm
by Raiko
OOC,I think we're waiting on Trixie inside the store: Will Timour do anything with the book, or is he just noting it's presence? If Timour doesn't take the book, are you all leaving the shop? This was just a quick scouting out of the inside wasn't it? Outside the shop: Are Maks and Caroline checking out the alleyway to see if there's an accessible back entrance to the shop?

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:02 am
by Timour Rukov
OC
Spoiler:
Sorry for the holdup!
Timour takes the opportunity to snatch the book from its spot by the til. He folds it into his suit jacket and crosses his arms in front of him so that it won't move round underneath.

Then he slowly makes his way through the shop, pausing to look as though he's shopping in the different cases and shelves. He watches Nathaniel closely, and when he seems ready to leave, joins him at the door.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:42 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Trixie: Please make a [i]conceal [/i]skill roll for [b]Timour[/b]. Might not matter if he fails ([b]Tewfik [/b]would still need to pass a spot hidden check).

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:12 pm
by Decrepit
ooc,I presume we'd be looking for a back entrance, yes.

Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:05 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nerthaniel keeps the shopkeeper busy for a few more minutes. He asks him some questions on how he should prepare the roots and interjects at any point if the shop keeper's instructions could be explained further. Nethaniel then buys the spices and exits the spice shop.

Thanks guv!!. Me mum thanks ye too, or she will once these roots take root if you don't mind me making a jolly good one at your the expense of your wares! Ha!. Cheerio and all that!

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:50 am
by trixie

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 am
by jtull_84
Gwen sticks by Nethaniel as he goes through his spiel about his grandma. After a moment, she speaks to the shopowner.
"Excuse me sir, but might I ask where you hail from? I'm doing some anthropological research on Egyptian customs and daily life, and I wanted to get an opinon concerning the use and value of spices in everyday cooking, trading, and worship. Of course I'll be needing to procure some samples as well..."

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:38 pm
by Raiko
Tewfik looks delighted that someone should show such prestigious interest in the history of his trade. “I was born in Cairo, and I would be most honoured to assist your studies, although not during opening hours I am afraid.”

“When would be a convenient time to meet?”

For Jtull only,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Gwen notices Timour taking the book. She thinks that Tewfik al-Sayed noticed too, but he doesn’t seem surprised and tries to pretend that he didn’t notice, rather than challenging Timour as you would expect. As he speaks to Gwen, al-Sayed’s voice is friendly and enthusiastic, but eyes are cold and predatory – he observes her like a spider stalking it’s next meal.
For Trixie only,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] As far as he can tell nobody noticed Timour taking the book.
For DSIGFUSS only,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Nethaniel didn’t notice Timour taking the book. Fortunately neither did Tewfik.
For Laraqua and Decrepit only,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] The archway does lead to a back alley behind the spice shop. There is a windowless wooden back door into the shop and a window on the floor above. There isn’t any lighting in the alley, so it will be quite dark here after sunset.

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:48 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel buys his roots and leaves the shop, not wanting to be associated with any of the other investigators as far as the shopkeeper is concerned.

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:00 am
by jtull_84
Spoiler,For a moment,Gwen's heart seems fit to burst. Blood surges to her brain and fear tightens its cold fingers around her neck... And then it's gone, replaced by a surge of anger. Gwen has felt like a small and terrified creature over the past couple of days, and damned if she's going to let this snake scare her.
"Most excellent Mr. Sayed! At your convenience tomorrow. Oh, terribly sorry sir, I'd forgotten that tomorrow is Friday, Allah's day of worship, unless you are not muslim, but something else? And as for where to meet, I know of a lovely tea shop across from the British Museum."

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:41 pm
by Raiko
Tewfik looks closely at Gwen, pausing before he replies, "Yes it is true that I am a Muslim, but I do not think that it is Allah's wish to deny me a quiet cup of tea with such a lovely young lady."

"I know that tea shop well, is 10:30 too early?"

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:55 am
by jtull_84
"10:30 shouldn't be a problem sir. In case it is, do you have a way I can reach you?"

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:56 pm
by Timour Rukov
Timour nods politely to the shop keeper and ducks out of the store quickly. He heads down the sidewalk in the other direction in the hopes of catching Maksim and Caroline in the heat of some passionate moment. He grins to himself, pressing the book hard against his side and begins to whistle.

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:05 am
by Laraqua
Maksim leans against his hands on the wall and stares up at the sky for a moment. "We have hours of conversation ahead of us. Want to pick the topic?"

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:50 am
by Decrepit
"Love," Caroline says, batting her eyes coquettishly.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:14 am
by Laraqua
"Okay, I'll bite, so what does love mean to you?" he asks, inching over sideways toward her and giving her his best 'Lost Boy Next Door' look. "What does love mean to you?" he asks in a low, seductive voice.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:15 pm
by Raiko
Gwen wrote:"10:30 shouldn't be a problem sir. In case it is, do you have a way I can reach you?"
"Well I am at my shop most hours, or in my flat upstairs. I am afraid that I do not have one of those telephones."

"I shall be at the tea shop for 10:30 prompt. If you can't make, just leave word there."

OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] When Gwen finishes talking to Tewfik and leaves the shop, I’ll wait a day or two for Maksim and Caroline to carry on chatting, and then I’ll fast-forward to closing time if that’s ok with you all? Laraqua, do you know whether you’ll be able to post often enough to carry on the chat? If not then I’ll just skip straight ahead. Will any of you be in sight of the shop at closing time, apart from Maks and Caroline? There aren’t any convenient cafes across the road this time I’m afraid – the closest one is 200 yards down the road, on the same side as Tewfik’s shop.

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:16 am
by Laraqua
OOC,OOC: We'll probably get interrupted after Caroline's response by Timour, anyhow.

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:15 am
by jtull_84
"Wonderful Mr. Sayed. I'll see you tomorrow."

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:18 pm
by Decrepit
Laraqua wrote:"Okay, I'll bite, so what does love mean to you?" he asks, inching over sideways toward her and giving her his best 'Lost Boy Next Door' look. "What does love mean to you?" he asks in a low, seductive voice.
"Oh, you bite now, Mr. Rukov?" Caroline replies. "I had no idea. I'm not sure we know each other well enough for that yet, despite being married. But perhaps there would be a better time and place?" She glances around. "I hope things are going well inside."

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel walks back out onto the street and looks around for the others.

spot hidden :rolled a 5: pass

He rudely interrupts Caroline and Maks' conversation oblivious to the intimacy.

Well that went swimmingly! I believe we have an in thanks to Gwen.... Ummmm! Am I interrupting mate?

Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:36 am
by Decrepit
"Oh, erm, you weren't," Caroline says. "But we probably shouldn't be seen chatting out here all together ..."

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:09 am
by Laraqua
Maksim shrugs, flashing a brief but devastatingly handsome smile. "Well, here's an alley for y'all to lurk in while we watch the shop for him leaving."

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 pm
by Decrepit
"Sorry, I'm just a very poor spy," Caroline says nervously.

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 pm
by Raiko
Near the Tewfik’s Spice Shop – Arbour Street, Soho, London
5:25pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

As the sun sets, the temperature quickly falls back below freezing. A crisp frost appears on the footpaths and roofs, and a thin mist descends on the city, it is nowhere near as bad as the thick fogs from earlier in the week though.

Maksim and Caroline remain in the narrow archway in their guise as lovers, while the others lurk silently out of sight in the darkened back alley.

At 5 o’clock precisely Tewfik al-Sayedcloses his small shop, the lights switch on upstairs and his silhouette can be seen occasionally behind the curtains of the back room. After about twenty minutes the lights switch off again and at 5:25pm Tewfik leaves his store through the front door. After locking up, heads along Arbour Street deeper into Soho. He passes by the archway where Maks and Caroline smooch and chat without paying them more than a casual glance. He is wearing a thick overcoat and walking at a brisk pace, which is hardly surprising in the chilly evening.

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:37 am
by Decrepit
"He's gone now, dear," Caroline whispers to Maks. "I think we can stop now."

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 am
by Laraqua
Maksim whispers sweet nothings into her ear, sometimes bizarre facts of medicine or other sciences he's picked up, to highlight the incongruity of the situation and get some genuine laughter from her. He pulled her in close at times, clutching her hands, conspirationally whispering so close she could feel his warm breath upon her face. At other times, he hung back a bit, hanging his head to one side, shifting his weight from side to side like a scolded child. He told her anecdotes of his life on the road, of a few con games played against foolish, arrogant men, and of the glam and glitter of his Russian child hood - mentioning with a strange look in his eye, a young girl whose name he seems too hesitant to speak. He'll smooch her hand and lay kisses on her forehead, but won't use the situation to his advantage ... he won't try to kiss her on the lips.

Finally, when he leaves, Maks straightens and rolls his shoulders. "Done," he says with a cheery smile, then blows on his cold hands. "London ... like a warm Russian summer."

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm
by DSIGFUSS
When the shop keeper leaves.. Nethaniel watches from a distance.

Perhaps someone should follow him back to his flat. See where he's going. If he doesn't keep his superbnatural possession here at the spice shop then he'll need another place for these more intense items now won't he?

Someone'g going to have to have Gwen's back too while she escorts the spice seller on their date.

Nethaniel smiles at Gwen playfully.

I'll break into the Spice shop for a wee bit of agander then..... I don't fancy myself much of a body guard
Gwen. Though I was quite the pugelist back in me glory days. Gave em the old one, two if you catch my meaning!

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:59 pm
by Raiko
OOC: NPC post for Gwen, as Jtull hasn't posted:

Gwen agrees with Nethaniel, “Yes someone should definitely follow him. He told me that he lives in the flat upstairs – above his shop. It will be interesting to see where he goes.”

“I’m very uncomfortable about this situation though – that man saw Timour take the book from by the till, I’m sure of it. But he didn’t react the way that you’d expect! Why didn’t he challenge Timour? It’s as if he was expecting us. And the way he looked at me, it sent a shiver down my spine!”

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm
by Timour Rukov
Timour's head snaps to attention at the mention of his name, "What do you mean, he saw! He didn't even notice me there in the least!" He looks at Gwen peculiarly and furrows his brow slightly, then yawns nonchalantly. "If you want me to follow him, Gwen, I'll do it, but I really don't know what you're going on about with a strange look. Are you sure that's what you saw, or were you just nervous while you were in there?"

Timour looks at the man's retreating shadow down the street, and hands the book off to Nathaniel. "Hold on to this for me, ol chap. I'm gonna get a bit closer." He smiles at Gwen, then double steps it down the street to catch up, staying right next to the building so that the man won't notice his speed.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:50 pm
by Decrepit
"Timour, wait," Caroline pleads to his retreating back. "I know you think you're invulnerable, but if he saw you, he could be leading you into a trap."

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:01 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Trixie, does Timour stop, or carry on? (He is indestructible!) If he carries on does anyone go with him? Gwen won’t do, she’ll burgle Tewfik’s shop with anyone else who takes part.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:31 pm
by trixie
Spoiler:
Timour probably won't stop, he's walking at quite the pace to have heard Gwen. He wouldn't care if anyone came with him, although Maks might tag along out of some brotherly commitment. That is, if he's not too busy sucking face! hahaha

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:35 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc - Nethaniel will burgle with Gwen.

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:50 pm
by jtull_84
ooc- burgle, sweet!

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:57 pm
by Raiko
Look after the others Caroline, we’ll be back soon.”

“Wait Timour!” Without waiting for a reply from Caroline Maksim dashes after his twin, “I know that there is no talking you out of this, but did you think that I would let you have all the fun brother?”

“And if it is a trap, two guns may succeed where one fails.”

Maksim puts his arm around his brother’s shoulders and smirks, “I am a far better shot after all, remember New York!”

OOC,[color=#ff0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color] Sorry for taking so long, I’ll NPC Maksim until Laraqua is back posting again. So... How do you want to break into the spice shop. There is a front door (plus a shop window), a back door in the alleyway, and second storey windows at the front and back. The building is part of a terraced row, so it doesn’t have ‘sides’.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:00 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel curses under his breath as the two brothers race off.

Oh that's bloody well magic then isn't it? I don't suppose either of you birds have a proper screw for the back then?

Nethaniel looks hopefully at Caroline.

Honestly luv... I'm rather hoping your time spent with that sinister Russian bloke has taught you a thing or two bout keyholes and burgling... Don't get much chance to burgle at the Dodgey Pages I'm afraid.... I dare say I'm a fair bit out of practice.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:06 pm
by Decrepit
"I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're looking for exactly," Caroline says, digging through her bag nonetheless. "I'm afraid our poor Maks has the soul of a poet--a bad one at that."

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 pm
by Raiko
OOC,There is a tool set back in the trunk of the car. It doesn't contain a torch, as you learned last night, but it certainly has a large screwdriver. I'll check back here later today to see if you are ready for the break in! I'll also start another thread for Maks and Timour.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:18 pm
by DSIGFUSS

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm
by Raiko
Behind Tewfik al-Sayed’s Spice Shop
5:30pm – Thursday 29th January, 1925

Caroline remembers the Bentley’s toolset from the night before, and five minutes later the trio are back around the back of the shop with a large screwdriver, suitable for use as a makeshift crowbar.

Nethaniel can’t manage to force the backdoor himself, but Gwen lends a hand and the door’s wooden frame quickly gives way with a faint ‘crack’ sound.

The door opens into a dark storage area. Wooden crates and cardboard boxes are piled haphazardly around the walls of the room. There is another door at the opposite side of the room, which is probably the back door of the shop floor area.
OOC,[color=#FF0000][u]OOC:[/u][/color]Sorry for the minor railroad,but I’ve got my “lets get a move on” head on today. ;) I also knew that Nethaniel wasn’t strong enough to overcome the back door’s STR20 by himself. [u][b]The Dice Rolls:[/b][/u] [color=#008000]Caroline – Idea(80%) – Remember the toolset: 1d100=[28%] Nethaniel STR10 vs STR 20 – Force the door: Impossible (0% chance) Nethaniel and Gwen STR23 vs STR20 – Force the door: (65% chance) – 1d100 = [04%][/color]

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:33 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel grins, slightly embarrassed for his waning manhood, as Caroline helps him pry open the door. He bets to himself that either of the two Russians could have opened the door on their lonesome.

He steps in and listensfor any signs of movement.
ooc,Listen check fail rolled a 66
Alright ladies…. Let’s burgle!

Nethaniel hurries to the back, quite nervous and feeling very pressed for time.

Shut the door please luv!

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:37 pm
by Decrepit
OOC: Sorry for the delay--busy and no computer at home still; maybe tomorrow.

Caroline also attempts to listen [but I can't get onto IC right now, so feel free to roll for me]. Assuming that she hears nothing too much like further human presence, she starts peeking in crates and boxes near at hand.

OOC: Caroline passes the check.

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:51 pm
by Raiko
The Storeroom, Tewfik al-Sayed’s Spice Shop
5:37m – Thursday 29th January, 1925

It takes the trio of investigators five minutes to search through the contents of the small storage room, but they find nothing incriminating – everything stored in this room appears to be for use in the shop, rather than for nefarious cult activities. If Tewfik al-Sayed has anything to hide, then it must be upstairs.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 am
by Decrepit
"Dammit," Caroline mutters. "We'd better hightail it upstairs if we're going to. All this cloak-and-dagger is getting to me."

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel agrees, hurrying everyone upstairs as quickly as possible to continue their search.

Right then luv! Best make haste before our shopkeep returns. To the loft!

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:11 pm
by Raiko
“You two go, I’ll keep an eye out for anyone coming,” Gwen takes cover just inside the back door. From here she has a good view into the small back yard and the alleyway beyond.

Nethaniel and Caroline move cautiously out of the store room into Tewfik’s unlit shop floor and then up the narrow staircase to his second story flat. The staircase bends sharply before opening into Tewfik’s living room. It’s warm up here a sizable oil heater against the far wall is still cooling down, apparently the shopkeeper likes to keep his apartment at the same temperature as his native land.

The living room is comfortably furnished; two cosy couches have been tastefully arranged around a large square coffee table upon which an exquisite copy of the Koran is piously displayed. A large prism glass case along the same wall as the heater contains stone statuettes of various ancient Egyptian gods. Their beastlike features cast creepy shadows in the torchlight.

Another wall bears a large and ornate mirror which is suspended over a polished roll-top desk. A short hallway in this same wall leads into the back of the flat; two doors are closed while the third opens into a bedroom.

There are two windows in the front wall that look out onto Arbour Street; the curtains of each window have been closed.

Between the windows stands a small cabinet with an incense burner on top. It isn’t lit at the moment, but the air of the living room is still faintly scented with the fragrant aroma of the incense.

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:16 am
by Decrepit
Caroline takes a look around the living room, but apparently doesn't see anything out of the ordinary. She also can't seem to hear anything unusual. Given that, she heads over to the copy of the Koran and thumbs through it, having learned that books aren't always what they seem.

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:28 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel nervously searches the Spice Shops's owner's flat as quickly as he is able. In his agitated state, it appears that the English scholar isn't much help in the burgling department. Nethaniel sticks to what he knows best and begins to search the shopp keeper's home for any relevant texts.

ooc - Fail Spot Hidden roll : rolled an 85

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm
by Raiko
Caroline leafs through the Koran, but the religious book is exactly what it appears to be – a particularly beautiful copy in this case.

Nethaniel also can’t find any suspicious texts in the room, although the roller top of the polished writing desk is securely locked. Unless the evidence is locked in the desk, it seems that it must be located in one of the back rooms – or perhaps Tewfik al-Sayed is an innocent party in this affair after all.

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:58 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel takes out one of his pencils and finds himself a piece of scrap paper. He had seen this done in numerous mystery novels, some of which he kept in his store to draw in the customers. nethaniel thought he'd give it a show.

He then presses the paper against the desk and rubs the pencil along the paper, trying to get an imprint of what the spice shop owner was last writing.

ooc - Is this even possible on a rolltop :)

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:08 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Nice idea :) Unfortunately the main writing surface is, as you suspected, under the roller-top. The desk looks like this one: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desk][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Rolltop_desk.JPG/250px-Rolltop_desk.JPG[/img][/url] I’ll assume that Nethaniel did check any flat surfaces on the desk though, eg above the rollertop.
Nethaniel fails to find any indentations from writing on the desk, he suspects that he’ll need to get the roller-top open in order to find anything.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel looks to Caroline

Well then… If we’re up to burglary then lass... let’s burgle!

With that, Nethaniel open up his crossbow case and pulls out a long metal quarrel. He places the head of the quarrel on the lock and searches for anything heavy he could use to smash down on the end and break the lock.

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:51 pm
by Raiko
Nethaniel spots a heavy looking black marble paperweight on top of the roller-desk – perfect for the job.

Caroline watches silently, looking up from Tewfik's copy of the Koren, she looks uncomfortable with Nethaniel's actions, but says nothing. I remember not so long ago, back in New York being shocked at the very idea of burglary, and yet here I am, accompanied by an antique book dealer and a librarian!”
ooc,DSIG: Please make a 3 x d100 rolsl for some opposed STR tests. The paperweight and quarrel make good tools and they will grant a +2 STR bonus for the test. If Nethaniel fails on all three rolls, then the lock defeats his efforts.

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:32 am
by Decrepit
OOC,See, you hardly need me here at all. You know just what [b]Caroline[/b] would think.

Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 am
by Raiko
Dice Rolls,[color=#FF0000][u][b]Dice Rolls for Nethaniel: [/b][/u][/color] [color=#00BF00]3 x STR Resistance Rolls (3d100) = [83][19][17][/color] :) The first roll failed, the last two didn't, so [b]Nethaniel [/b]breaks the lock. [color=#00BF00]Luck Roll (d100) = [31][/color] This is needed to operate the secret drawer.
Picking up the heavy marble block Nethaniel bashes down hard on the crossbow bolt. His first blow has little effect, but the second splinters the wood around the roll top desk's lock. The third bash finishes the job, separating the lock from the rest of the roller top.

"Right luv, shall we have a gander inside then?"

Nethaniel grins at Caroline and slides open the desk's ruined cover.

There are writing instruments, invoices, sales records and various other shop records in the desk, but nothing incriminating. However as Nethaniel rummages around he disturbs a small shelf of pens and inks...

There is a quiet, but distinct click and a panel on the outside of the desk slides out, protruding an inch from the right hand side. Nethaniel has unlocked a secret drawer!

Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:15 am
by Decrepit
"Now this is more like it," Caroline says, grinning. If Nethaniel doesn't prevent her, she reaches inside without really thinking her action through.

Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:55 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel steps back, offering up whatever prize he had uncovered to Caroline in as chivalrous a manner as he can muster. The librarian rubs his hands together, eager with anticipation.

C'mon now luv? What have we here then?

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 am
by Raiko
The secret compartment in the reading desk contains several items: two sandstone vials with caps - carved with the same designs as the frame of the big mirror, a folded black silk robe, a black inverted ankh on a metal chain, a crumbling papyrus scroll, and a black skullcap embroidered with inverted ankhs. The same embroidered design turn out to be on the robe as well.

Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[color=#FF0000][u][b]OOC:[/b][/u][/color] I'm going to try one more time to contact Decrepit, before setting both Caroline and Nethaniel as NPCs for now (until DSIGFUSS can post regularly again in a few weeks). Jtull can post, so I don't want to leave this thread on hold for much longer.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:40 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel's eyes widen greedily as he scans the items...

Heavens!

He scratches his chin pondering the significance of everything in the hidden compartment. The scholar in him counts and catalog's the items in his mind.

ooc- http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2235790/ rolled a 92 for occult.

The excitement must be getting to him. Flustereed he looks to Caroline.

An odd assortment of ritualistic skullduggery no doubt. Wouldn't you agree luv?

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:04 pm
by Raiko
OOC,[color=#FF0000][u][b]OOC:[/b][/u][/color] I've sent Decrepit an email, to let him know that the game is active again. Looking back through my emails, the last time that I heard from him was in May when he was moving house. I'll NPC Caroline for the time being, if I don't hear from Decrepit before your characters are hopefully reunited, then she can take Andrei somewhere safe (ie be semi-permanently retired). Caroline rolled a 74 for occult, so she can't help much. See rolled a 22 for spot hidden though, so she definitely noticed the similarity between the vials and the mirror. She also notices something else about the mirror now. See below.
Caroline looks at the items in the drawer, "Well
the drawer is wrecked now, so we might as well take everything."

"Those stone vials have the same carvings on them as the mirror," she
indicates the big ornate mirror hanging on the wall over the desk. "You
know Nethaniel, that mirror looks rather strange doesn't it? It's
not even symmetrical, but the weird carvings make it difficult to judge
why it's not symmetrical..."

"It's a shame we can't take the mirror as well. I'm sure you and Andrei
could have a field day figuring out if these carvings have a hidden
meaning, but we'd look rather suspicious returning to the car with two
of us carrying a huge antique mirror!"
[/spoiler]

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:38 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel quickly gathers up the items in the drawer and looks to Caroline with a devilish grin.

He picks up a paperweight or some other equally heavy object and poses himself to throw it at the rune covered mirror.

Perhaps we should send this bloke a clear message then shouldn't we luv?

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel feels like he is lost in Time and Space, pondering the right and wrong of breaking this potentially portent piece of occult paraphernalia.

ooc- Hey Raiko... We still on man?

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:41 am
by Decrepit
"So, Nethaniel," Caroline says coyly. "What's say you and I leave all this occultism behind and find us a good, stiff drink somewhere? It feels like we've been here for ages."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:44 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel winks at Caroline....

That sounds like a brillaint idea! In just two snogs on a blarney stone thopugh luv! First let me have at this relic so our shop keep cannae do any more damage to you and all the other lovlies in the world.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:43 am
by Raiko
OOC: Finally posting again!

DSIG: Does Nethaniel throw the paperweight?

IC:

Upstairs - Tewfik's Spice Shop - Soho

As he decides whether to smash the mirror Nethaniel hears Gwen call from downstairs, "What's happening up there! Hurry, I'm scared!"

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel crashes the paperweight into the creepy old mirror he believes to be linked somehow to the spice shop owner's power!

Run Love! Run!

Nethaniel then sprints down the stairs, his adrenaline pumping and a big smile on his face. The vandolism reminded him of his lost youth.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 am
by Raiko
OOC,Make a POW roll for Nethaniel

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel rolled a 44. POW = 13

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2395582/

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:23 am
by Raiko
OOC,Shame, I had something nice planned if that roll failed. :twisted:
Caroline hurries down the stairs after Nethaniel, sharing his excitement she can't help giggling. Behind them the disturbing antique mirror is destroyed - it's glass shattered into a thousand pieces by the paperweight.

As they reach the bottom of the stairs, the couple hear the sound of a lorry pulling up outside the front of the shop. "What's that?" Gwen voice is shaky as she calls out from her hiding place in the back room.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:00 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel's mood quickly turns from excited to terrified. He creeps up to the shop window and tries to peer out into the street to identify the noise.

Get ready to run luv! If it's the bobbies we could be in for a wee bit of a chase.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:39 am
by Raiko
"Let's see," Gwen joins Nethaniel at the window, having dashed in from the back room.

There are rough looking Arabic men pouring out of the back of the truck, they are armed with vicious spiked clubs, knives and one carries a pistol. From the front passenger seat of the truck emerges Tewfik al-Sayed, in his hands are two curious ceremonial sceptres construct from a golden metal - one ends in a crook shape the other in the shape of an inverted ankh.

Al-Sayed surveys the store front as he barks orders in Arabic. The expression on his face is quite murderous.
OOC,Make a hide roll

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:21 am
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel quickly ducks down.

Bloody Hell Gwen! Let's make like a scarper if you catch my meaning?

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 am
by Raiko
OOC,Sorry for the hold up, I've been waiting for some of the other players to make a post as well. In order to keep the threads in sync. I will continue [b]Nethaniel[/b]'s story within the next 24 hours.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:14 pm
by Raiko
Tewfik Al-Sayed’s Spice Shop – Soho, London

As Nethaniel ducks for cover he just has time to see Tewfik cross the two strange metal sceptres in front of his chest. As he does so the shop keeper begins to utter eldritch words that Nethaniel has never encountered before, piteous words not uttered by sane lips since primordial times of aeons past when mighty cyclopean beings ruled over forgotten empires.

Gwen hesitates at the window for a moment too long. For a split second the inside on the small shop is brightly illuminated from outside, then as the room falls dark again Gwen screams piercingly, almost deafening Nethanial, and falls to the floor of the shop, clawing at her own eyes and convulsing violently, frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog.

“RUN!” Nethaniel hears Caroline shout as she crashes through into the back room of the shop. The arabic men begin to batter at the shop’s front door, not even waiting for their leader to produce a key.
OOC,[color=#FF0000][u][b]OOC:[/b][/u][/color]Please make a [i]SAN [/i]check for [b]Nethaniel[/b]. [i][b]SAN loss = 1 / 1d10 [/b][/i] I won’t hold things up any more for you. :) So long as you reply, I’ll post here every 24 hours. I’ll NPC Maks and Timour in order to keep their thread in sync with yours.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:03 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Bollocks!

Nethaniel runs after Caroloine covering his ears. The site of Gwen and the words, Nethaniel was certain he could translate given the right library, drove him clser to the edge of losing his mind then he cared to wander.

Nethaniel pours out into the back alley after Caroline, his legs like strands of Spaghetti. He didn't want to leave Gwen, but he wanted to hear more from Tewfik even less. Especially after he broke the man's mirror.

The librarian adventurer scoops up his crossbow case on the way and and then after Nethaniel felt he was far enough away from the chanting, he called out to Caroline.

What about Gwen yah wee dotty bird!
ooc,Sanity check : pass 37 : lose 1 sanity http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2417052/

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 pm
by Raiko
The yard behind Tewfik’s spice shop – Soho, London.

“Gwen!? But I thought she was following!”

Back inside the shop the investigators hear the sound of the front door crashing open as the cultists move in.

“Oh no!” with tears in her eyes Caroline says, “We’ve got to go! They’ll kill all of us!”

She dashes across the yard and out into the backstreet. More of the cultists can be heard coming through the arched alleyway that connects the backstreet to the main road. The only way out is to flee along the backstreet itself.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:05 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel stops for just a moment and looks back to the shop. He fingers his crossbow case and adjusts his glasses as he ponders the logistics of Heroics and Sacrifice.

Oh Bloody Hell! Who am I kidding! I'm a librarian... This isn't an adventure novel!

Nethaniel sighs deeply and runs after Caroline feeling sick to his stomach with guilt.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 am
by Raiko
OOC,Hope you don't mind waiting 1 extra day for a post. I've got to decide exactly how to bring My Handy into the game in sync with everyone else (I've finally had chance to reread the Scotland Yard thread) I also didn't have time to post in Grafster's thread yesterday.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:52 pm
by DSIGFUSS
ooc,no worries Raiko. Whenever you're ready!

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:35 am
by Raiko
As I'm just aiming to get survivors back together to continue the campaign, it's easier to just put Maksim & Timours story back into this thread now. They are at the front of the shop while Nathaniel and Caroline are fleeing out of the back...

The street at the front of Tewfik's spice shop

The two Russians make it to the car before any of the crazy Arab thugs notice them. By that time there seems to be some sort of commotion out of sight at the back of the buildings. The front door of the shop has been kicked in and two cultists are dragging Gwen, screaming in terror, out into the street. Tewfik al-Sayed stands near the truck directing operations, the two strange metal sceptres still clutched in his hands.

Maksim reaches the Bentley moments before Timour, but as he thrusts the keys into the ignition one of the Arabs dragging Gwen shouts to his companion, pointing towards the Russians and the car.
OOC,Tewfik still hasn't spotted Maks and Timour. The Bentley is facing away from the cultists, so you could make a quick getaway, or turn it around and use it as a weapon as Maksim considered. Gwen looks in big trouble. As well as Tewfik al-Sayed and the two cultists who have her captive there are two other Arabs on this side of the shop. One is armed with a spiked club, the other with a knife. She is being dragged towards the lorry. Two other cultists ran into the shop, and four (including the one with the gun) ran through the archway towards the back of the shop. You suspect that Caroline and Nathaniel, if they are alive must have escaped out of the back, into the alleyways and backstreets. I'm hoping to get everyone through this relatively unscathed, with the probable exception of Gwen, but Tewfik al-Sayed is clearly very, very dangerous, please take care, don't want to waste you immediately after so long away. :) [b]Jtull_84:[/b] If you are reading this post let me please get in touch immediately, I've tried unsuccessfully to contact you.
Behind the Shop

Caroline and Nathaniel make it into the alleyway behind Tewfik's shop with no time to spare, they can hear thugs crashing though the shop behind them, Arabic shouts drowned out by the sound of Gwen wailing. Other Arabs are almost upon them as they run through the archway from the street.

It seems that they must either run left or right along the dark foggy alleyway, or turn and fight...
OOC,It they run now the pair will probably be disappearing into the fog as their pursuers reach the alleyway. Nathaniel is sure that at least one of the men has a gun – not to mention Tewfik's sorcery.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:46 pm
by Decrepit
"Which way?" Caroline hisses in a hoarse whisper to Nathaniel. "We can't fight them."

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:40 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel looks around in frightened bewilderment.

Left Luv Left!

He grabs Carolyn's arm and drags her to the left with little delay.

One of them blokes got a lady from Bristol for Booby More.. We got to stay ahead of em! Hurry Luv!

Nethaniel will force a turn down the next alley in hopes the thugs chasing them don't spot them in the alley. (If the fog doesn't cover their tracks.)

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm
by Decrepit
Caroline mutely followed Nathaniel's lead, going left through the fog-shrouded corridor, her mind still in something like shock from the events of the past few minutes. In some ways, it felt as though she had been standing here for years, waiting for something to happen; in other ways, she felt swooped up in the swift current of events she couldn't fully fathom and didn't know whether she even wanted to.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:23 am
by Laraqua
Maksim guns the engine, a white-knuckled grip on the wheel, as he swings the car around. Assuming they'd had a chance to pick up the guns, he hopes Timour has a chance to pick a few of them off. If not, well, there's certainly nothing they can do. If they ram the cultists, they'll be ramming Gwen as well. Although, assuming they have guns, he hopes that Timour will fire off a mercy shot before they leave. His stomach churns at the thought but as a soldier, this isn't the first time he's abandoned fallen soldiers where they lay in order to get the job done ... or survive the attempt.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 am
by Raiko
OOC,There are rifles in the trunk as far as I can remember. Sorry I'd consciously decided not to mention them in my post, as I didn't want to make it look like I was railroading you into a gunfight. If Timour wants to grab the guns then Trixie needs to make a luck roll. Success means he has time to grab the guns & get into the car before the thug spots him. Failure means he's spotted as he opens the trunk. Please use invisible castle for any rolls.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:37 pm
by trixie
Timour had clambered into the car by the time Maks started gunning the engine, and he fumbled for his handgun deftly. The vein in his jaw pulsed as he ground his teeth. Damn it Gwen! He hated to leave her behind. She was a pretty one after all, but it wasn't the first time he'd run from a dame in hot water. It was his nom de guerre. It just had to be with those blokes, the ones they'd been so close to finding out about. What would they do to her?

Drive Maks! he barked, and aimed at the cultist on Gwen's back. His bullet swings wide, zinging past the cultist and causing Gwen to scream in terror.

OC
Spoiler:
Handgun 66% rolled 97

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 am
by Raiko
In the Alleyway, Behind the Tewfik's Shop

Nethaniel and Caroline dash along the dark alley through the fog. The backstreet is unpaved and slippery, and also strewn with loose bricks, boxes and other debris making it hazardous to run along.

Behind them the pair hear angry shouts of Arabic as their hunters enter the shop's small back yard; if lady luck is on their side they'll get away before the thugs spot them. From the other side of the buildings they hear the sound of the Bentley's distinctive engine and the sound of a gunshot. And still they can hear the sounds of Gwen's shrill screams.
OOC,Please make a luck roll for each of your characters Nethaniel=Luck65, Caroline=Luck70.
At the front of Tewfik's Shop.

As Maksim brings the car screeching around, Tewfik al-Sayed turns towards them his attention drawn to the car and the gunshot. Grinning manically and wide-eyed the Egyptian crosses the scepters in front of himself once more and begins to utter another incantation.

Behind Gwen one thug ducks, startled by the shot, he stumbles and almost drops his club; but the other tugs roughly on her hair, exposing her neck as he raises his vicious knife.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:08 pm
by Decrepit
Spoiler:

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:08 pm
by DSIGFUSS
OOC,Nethaniel barely passes his luck check. rolled a 60. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3220699/

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:55 pm
by Raiko
In the Alleyway, Near to Tewfik's Shop.

Nethaniel almost stumbles, but Caroline catches his arm and the two make it out of sight of thugs before they reach the alleyway. They can hear the murderous Arabs cursing behind them as they run, but the pursuit is disorganised now - some of the thugs are still following, but it's not all of them and they seem to be falling behind.

Ahead the alleyway bends sharply left, turning towards Arbour Street. The only other way out is through the back-yard of one of houses that back onto the narrow alley.
OOC,Although the alleyway turns back towards Arbour Street (the street where Tewfik's shop is located), it will emerge about 50 yards away from the spice shop.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:46 am
by Decrepit
"We could break our necks running through yards," Caroline pants. "The alley seems safe enough now . . ."

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 am
by Raiko
OOC - Maksim & Timour,Is Maksim driving away or ramming? I get the impression from your last post that he's going to drive away. Is Timour going to shoot again if he has the chance? At who? If you don't get chance to reply today, I'll assume that Maks is getting out of there and Timour will take a parting shot as the Bentley drive away.
OOC - Caroline & Nethaniel,If DSIG doesn't get chance to reply today, then I'll assume that he agrees with Caroline.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 am
by Laraqua
Maksim gets the hell out of Dodge (as the Americans say), hoping beyond hope that they can get away and that Timour's passing shot will take out either Gwen or that nasty monster with the weird looking rods. He swears in Russian, knowing that their retreating vehicle must be breaking poor Gwen's heart, but what the hell could they do?

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:07 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Timour has time to take one shot as Maksim gets them the Hell outta there. Trixie just needs to post who the target is. I'm using the Hollywood method of synchronizing timelines, so the car reaches the alley just as the others run out.
Arbour Street, Soho - Near to Tewfik's Spice Shop

With a squeal of burning rubber the Bentley races past the Arab thugs and the still screaming librarian, Timour fires another shot as they drive past, but Maksim has no time to see who the target was, or if this bullet finds its mark.

Suddenly ahead him Maks sees his friends Caroline and Nethaniel dashing out of an alleyway into the glare of the Bentley's headlights.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22 am
by Laraqua
Maks briefly brakes the vehicle, giving them the chance to throw themselves headlong into the back seat. All the while he's sending up a prayer to a God he doesn't believe in to take care of Gwen. Funny how even atheists turn to the Lord in times of jeopardy... He'd laugh about it later. But only after he'd drowned his sorrows in enough vodka to kill a small horse.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:09 am
by Raiko
OOC,If Trixie can't post tonight, I'll pick Timour's target for her to allow the game to continue after Decrepit and DSIG have posted

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:14 am
by Decrepit
After running for what seemed like an endless time in the dark, Caroline, accompanied by Nathaniel, suddenly finds herself shading her eyes trying to see in the glare of a car's headlights. At first she feels defeated--Damn, they must've snuck around us!--but then she determines that it's the Bentley, pulling up for them. At the wheel she can just make out Maks, and the often-irritating Rukov has never seemed more welcome to her. As quickly as she can, she attempts to climb into the backseat.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:12 pm
by Raiko
In the Bentley's passenger seat Timour looks devastated, "Damn it Maks, she didn't run! I got the bastard right between the eyes! Gwen could have run!"

He holsters his gun as Caroline and Nethaniel are getting into the car, "That other brotherhood bastard dragged her away; she just let him!"

"Damn it! Get us the Hell out of here!"

OOC,I'll only post for you if it's holding up other players, and only after a couple of days. I thought about it for ages and decided that I didn't think Timour would shoot Gwen, I think he's more optimistic than Maks. :)

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:06 pm
by DSIGFUSS
Nethaniel removes a hankerchief from the inside of his tweed jacket and dabs sensitively at the swet forming on his brow.

My word! Haven't had such a go at botany bay since I was a lad. We should head back to the flat and right quick mate! If Gwen sings, that dottie bird and the lot of us are brown as bread. We gotta clear out mates! Find a new hidey hole quick as the airs and graces so's we can plan our next move...

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:52 am
by Laraqua
Maksim nods and speeds off towards the hotel, his teeth gritted as he hunkers down behind the steering wheel.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 pm
by Decrepit
Caroline wishes she could disagree with Nathaniel or Timour--or anyone, really, at this point--but things did seem about as bleak as depicted. She puts a hand on Maks's shoulder as silent thanks and out of a desire to borrow some of the Russian's steadfastness.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:45 am
by Laraqua
Maksim nods once in silent recognition of her connection and then dons his pragmatism once again ... his mind whirring with ideas. "We get any time, I'm going to teach you all how to shoot a gun. For now, we get our things. We get a post office box, a big one, or a bank vault, or something we can hide our important notes and clues in. This way we can abandon hotel rooms real quickly with no fear."

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:45 pm
by Raiko
As far as they can tell it doesn't look like anyone is following yet, but the engine of Tewfik's truck was still running when Maksim and Timour drove past.
OOC,If you aren't pursued then you'll be ok making another couple of IC posts here and then I'll swap you back to the Ritz Hotel thread on Monday. The journey takes about 15-20 minutes in these conditions without speeding. If you are pursued then the chase will commence on Monday :)

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 pm
by Raiko
OOC,Scratch my last OOC post. Everybody's heading back to the Ritz now, so I'll move the action back there tonight rather than having your characters idly chatting. The bad guys weren't pursuing anyway (they'll settle for capturing Gwen for the time being :evil:)

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 am
by Raiko
Please post in the Ritz Hotel Thread again now.