At the Mountains of Madness: The Diary of Rudolf Gedney

Dark imaginings of that which lies hidden behind the veil of reality, terrible tales of woe and horror of those to whom the true nature of the universe was revealed, or revelations of the times when the stars are right? Fiction or Fact? This forum is for Cthulhu and Horror fan fiction. Do you have a story to share?
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

At the Mountains of Madness: The Diary of Rudolf Gedney

Post by Tabs »

Edit: I forgot about this post. The 2016 edit is above in the library, read that one rather than these versions: it's a more enjoyable read full stop.

Hi, below is a link to a story I've written, the story purports to be the diary of "Gedney" - the hapless student kidnapped(?) by Elder Things whilst on an expedition to Antarctica.

Please post any constructive criticisms.

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu12 ... 20Madness/
Last edited by Tabs on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Re: At the Mountains of Madness: The Diary of Rudolf Gedney

Post by Tabs »

It is now in pdf format, and I've corrected some of the more eccentric punctuation:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6tLXqi ... sp=sharing
Percy Shipton
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by Percy Shipton »

I really enjoyed this. Than you for sharing.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Thanks.

I like your avatar. Who was it?
Percy Shipton
Layman
Layman

Post by Percy Shipton »

His name is Eric Shipton. He was a mountain explorer, coffee farmer, service man, and said to have found a Yeti track.

My screen name is a combination of Percy Fawcett (explorer) and Eric Shipton.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I'm guessing that he was a contemporary of Mallory?

Coincidence! I watched the film (and wouldn't recommend it) LOST CITY OF Z a few nights back. Also, and I have to mention this, a hero of mine is Peter Fleming, his 1931 book BRAZILIAN ADVENTURE recounts a laughable expedition in search of Fawcett.
Percy Shipton
Layman
Layman

Post by Percy Shipton »

I think they are close enough to be contemporaries.

"The Lost City of Z" was a major let down. I don't get it, it could have easily been a quality film.

I don't know much about Flemming, I'll have to take a look.

I've been fascinated with adventurers and adventuring ever since childhood, when I saw the adventures of Alby Mangels.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

I agree. The film could've been a good one--the wealth of detail... a serious, and true, Indiana Jones-like movie.

One of the first things said about Peter Fleming, although personally it doesn't mean much, is that he was Ian Fleming's elder brother. Peter's 1935 book NEWS FROM TARTARY, a travel diary through China with a Swiss journalist, is a classic.

Never heard of Alby Mangels before. Searched for WORLD SAFARI on Netflix, guess it's too old. Have you watched TRACKS, a movie about Robyn Davidson? Similar era to Mangels.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I remember Peter Fleming and Ella Maillart's trip across China being part of your game, Forbidden Journey: An Adventure in China. I was just thinking about it because another game set in China has been proposed recently. I would like to continue it if you ever decide to pick it up again.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Lots of ideas in that one, but the story never quite followed the path I imagined. I don't wish to continue. Funnily enough, I saw the proposed "China" game too, and wondered how it would pan out.

However, I'd be up for playing the 3rd scenario from Arkham Horror Card Game?
Percy Shipton
Layman
Layman

Post by Percy Shipton »

Tabs wrote:I agree. The film could've been a good one--the wealth of detail... a serious, and true, Indiana Jones-like movie.

One of the first things said about Peter Fleming, although personally it doesn't mean much, is that he was Ian Fleming's elder brother. Peter's 1935 book NEWS FROM TARTARY, a travel diary through China with a Swiss journalist, is a classic.

Never heard of Alby Mangels before. Searched for WORLD SAFARI on Netflix, guess it's too old. Have you watched TRACKS, a movie about Robyn Davidson? Similar era to Mangels.

News from Tartary looks like an interesting read — I'll put it on my to read list.

You might be able to find World Safari on youtube. Just googled Robyn Davidson. She used camels which is an interesting and practical choice. I've always wanted to travel by pack mule to the tip of South America. I know it's vastly different terrain (and animal) than Australia, but it would be worth a look with all things considered.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tabs wrote:Lots of ideas in that one, but the story never quite followed the path I imagined. I don't wish to continue. Funnily enough, I saw the proposed "China" game too, and wondered how it would pan out.

However, I'd be up for playing the 3rd scenario from Arkham Horror Card Game?
Yes, please! :) I'd be up for that too.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

It's a beautiful summer's day here in England, so I sat outside and watched WORLD SAFARI! The first part, the voyage to Tonga, felt to me like KON TIKI--another good book,--and I kept thinking, "I wish there was live sound," and, "This would make a great film."

Mr. Handy, I've had a quick look, and it seems we have some XP to spend! BTW, our cards have long since been packed away, but Daisy's initial deck was the starter one from the rulebook? I'll use Skids's starter deck too.
Percy Shipton
Layman
Layman

Post by Percy Shipton »

I agree that live sound would've been excellent, but it was done in Alby's "do it yourself" style.

It's rainy here in Mexico, which is kind of nice actually.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Tabs wrote:It's a beautiful summer's day here in England, so I sat outside and watched WORLD SAFARI! The first part, the voyage to Tonga, felt to me like KON TIKI--another good book,--and I kept thinking, "I wish there was live sound," and, "This would make a great film."

Mr. Handy, I've had a quick look, and it seems we have some XP to spend! BTW, our cards have long since been packed away, but Daisy's initial deck was the starter one from the rulebook? I'll use Skids's starter deck too.
I know I used Daisy's starter deck, with a couple of cards replaced by my purchases after the first scenario (which are recorded). I'm sure you didn't use Skids's starter deck, as you had two copies of Dynamite Blast and other cards, but you're free to use your starter deck or rebuild it the way you like it if you wish. Your own purchases after the first scenario are also recorded. In addition, we'll get to spend XP before we proceed to the third scenario if we haven't already.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Making an Xmas "would like" list. Stumbled on this: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/216 ... expedition After reading a few lines of the intro I knew I had to post it here!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Ooh, that reminds me! There's a Kickstarter in its last week for Expedition: The Horror, a mythos-themed expansion for Expedition: The Roleplaying Card Game (which you can also get through the Kickstarter). I'm planning to back it.

The Lost Expedition looks good too. I think I've heard of it, and that's one I'd like to get as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

The game looks interesting; but it must have cool art, for me--I guess that is why I adore FFG games.

I played Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu a few weeks back, and I found it to be surprisingly fun--its art is pretty good, too.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

For me, gameplay is paramount, though cool art is nice to have too. I also love FFG's games. The way I look at Expedition is that it's a hybrid between a card game and an RPG, so I can use my imagination to make up for the lack of art just like in a tabletop or play-by-post RPG.

I have Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, but I have not had time to play it yet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Terrible Tales, Horrible Revelations and Dreams of Dark Days (Fan Fiction)”