Study in Emerald- Neil Gaiman

Dark imaginings of that which lies hidden behind the veil of reality, terrible tales of woe and horror of those to whom the true nature of the universe was revealed, or revelations of the times when the stars are right? Fiction or Fact? This forum is for Cthulhu and Horror fan fiction. Do you have a story to share?
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Study in Emerald- Neil Gaiman

Post by welsh »

Found this on-line-

A Study in Emerald, by Neil Gaiman- an Audio Story-
"A Study in Emerald" is a short story written by British fantasy and graphic novel author Neil Gaiman. The story is a Sherlock Holmes pastiche transferred to the Cthulhu Mythos universe of horror writer H. P. Lovecraft. It won the 2004 Hugo Award for Best Short Story.

The title is a reference to the Sherlock Holmes story A Study in Scarlet. "A Study in Emerald" first appeared in the anthology Shadows Over Baker Street, a collection of stories combining the worlds of Arthur Conan Doyle and H. P. Lovecraft, it has subsequently been printed in the anthology of Neil Gaiman's work, Fragile Things.

Neil Richard Gaiman (IPA: /ˈgeɪmən/) (born November 10, 1960) is an English author of science fiction and fantasy short stories and novels, graphic novels, comics, and films. His notable works include The Sandman comic series, Stardust and American Gods.

He lives near Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S. He is married to Mary T. McGrath and has two daughters, Holly and Maddy, and a son, Michael. He has two younger sisters.
You can download the story by clicking the link or here.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Re: Study in Emerald- Neil Gaiman

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

It won the Hugo? That story? How far we've fallen...

Still, it is an amusing read, to say the least.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Ah... the world is divided by artists and art critics!

Ok Mi-Go, why don't you submit?

(To be fair, I think Neil gets by on name recognition. American Gods is crap compared to Brian Hopkins Dia de El Los Muertos-
http://www.sff.net/people/brian_a_hopkins/muertos.htm )

- Anonymous Cannibal
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Well, I think I might.
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Alright, I hate to play this card, I hate the kind of people who would play this card, and I know Mr. Lovecraft would have hated the kind of people who would play this card, but I think I have to.

What are the rules about ownership on these forums? Does posted material belong to the creator or to the forums? And what is in the fine print?
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Ahhh... Well...

I would think that the rules are simple- we don't steal copyrighted material, we don't publish copyrighted material without the permission of the owner, and we don't allow materials that are copyrighted by someone else.

To the best of my knowledge (and here I act as agent of the site- and thus might legally limit the site), once you publish an article here, its under your name. You have essentially declared, in public that you are the creator of a work of art. If it is found that you are not, then we will remove the offending story with proof that you have, indeed, violated someone else's copyright.

That said, I believe its fairly common that once a work is published by an author, it is owned by the owner. We have no ownership dibs on your story.

And I think, though I am unsure, that you would have superior claim to ownership of the story from subsequent purchasers.

SO if you are worried that we would steal your work, don't. We are not in the publishing business. We are essentially a fan site, not a profit site. In fact, you may be at an advantage if you publish a story here as you will have shown, to the world, that the story is yours.

- Anonymous Cannibal
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Thanks for the question - not the first time it's been raised. I posed this very question to Chaosium back in 2005, here's a quote:
A keeper who owns a Chaosium book can run material from that book for play-by-mail/post, so long as the game is free to participants.

If the keeper has purchased a scenario book from Chaosium, he or she can --to a point-- do with that physical book as desired. Extensive quotes from copyrighted narrative text are discouraged, unless per normal 'fair use' . Wordages and other restrictions vary from country to country. A hundred words or so is the nominal limit for the United States, for a short story or article.

If reproducing and circulating maps, plans, handouts, and illustrations for the players, each individual item should bear the Chaosium copyright statement and the current year, for example:

_copyright (c) 2005 Chaosium Inc._

Especially for illustrations and complex graphical material, that legend should be superimposed onto the image itself, to guard against further reproduction and to protect the artist. If the keeper were to redraw and supply his or her own graphics, he or she could copyright the resulting item. Extensive quoting of narrative text is cautioned against.

The existence of a forum would not allow keepers to bend or violate copyright laws, no matter the ease or difficulty of electronic transmission. If the keeper follows the rule of 'if I own it, I can present it as a pbm/pbp', he or she will be well within the law.

We seek a good faith effort, and have no interest in screening the solutions keepers come up with for special situations.

Copyright on individual posts on this site resides with the author - however this is a moderated forum posts can be deleted. There are some technical 'grey areas' about playing in games and copyright, mostly to do with 'original characters' (and that's my opinion not legal fact) - however as stated above We seek a good faith effort.

The addition of a 'fan-fiction' section doesn't necessarily complicate matters. The poster of 'original' works has copyright (totally and unequivocally) - however the act of posting here - would grant us (this site) publication rights.... namely one time publication on this website only. This will be made clear when things are officially launched.

The actual mechanics of the new Fan Fiction section are still fluid and will be subject to change (mainly presentation) for a while.

I think it's prudent to make some copyright statement where we can all see it.

Hope this helps?
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Yes, it does, although you might want to include the explanation of how it applies to fan fiction on the official sticky.

My personal issue (although I did intend to get everything else clear while everyone is still friendly) was actually that I have vague aspirations of making writing a serious hobby, and I had a few good ideas for Mythos stories that I plan to rework when I have more skill, only if I post my current versions here that might cut off my options. I'll go ahead anyway, because, hey, if I never have another good idea it won't be a very fun hobby.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Mi-Go Agent wrote:My personal issue (although I did intend to get everything else clear while everyone is still friendly) was actually that I have vague aspirations of making writing a serious hobby, and I had a few good ideas for Mythos stories that I plan to rework when I have more skill, only if I post my current versions here that might cut off my options. I'll go ahead anyway, because, hey, if I never have another good idea it won't be a very fun hobby.
Well, as copyright holder (it'd be your original work) we'd respect any wishes should you wish to remove anything; if, for instance, you'd sold the story to a publisher (further down the line).

We'll make some announcements soon :)
Mi-Go Agent
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mi-Go Agent »

Ah-would those announcements be along the lines of a contest or a more official submission thread? By the way, you've now cleared up all my problems.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Mi-Go Agent,wait and see ....... :)
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

In response to Mi-Go,

If your interest is to develop a hobby, quite a few professional writers got their start writing Cthulhu fiction. Robert Bloch, author of Psycho and many others, began his career writing Cthulhu fiction for Weird Tales, and had a great correspondence with Lovecraft.

One of the perks of writing here is that you can get critical commentary. For example, if you compare Bloch's early fiction (and its not bad) with his later works, one can see the improvement, including how Bloch's use of language evolved away from a "lovercraft" style. Here, you might get some of that critical feedback.

- Anonymous Cannibal

Return to “Terrible Tales, Horrible Revelations and Dreams of Dark Days (Fan Fiction)”