Chit-Chat

Description: That which they do not see is all that they are safe from; for in blindness there is serenity; in ignorance there is all but bliss; while in the light - the light heralds only madness.

Moderator: Laraqua

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Re: Chit-Chat

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hi all!
Eons ago, I played a fun board game, Junta, a banana republic game. You had to convince the dictator to fund your cause, only to take over the power in a coupe. Backstabbing and hilarious lying!

Then I´m on board!
Fransesca lands the chopper and lets the rotors wind down.
*Put my feet up on the coffee table and wait*
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard!

I played Junta back in college once or twice, and I love that game! I've got vague but fond memories of it. The name of the country is "La Republica de los Bananas"! I remember that you have to secretly select your location each turn (I think you could be in your home, your office, the bank, your mistress's place, and one other option). You could send assassins after your rivals by guessing where they'd be. One of them, the "Character Assassin" shoots them with a camera instead of a gun, but it only works if they're with the mistress. I usually ended up as one of the generals, and while that got me more troops, it wasn't as interesting as the other positions. Once I was in charge of the air force - paratroopers are fun! I recall once seizing the Chamber of Deputies with my military units and managing to hold it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

I played it on a games convention here on the west-coast, back in -95. (Thought: ... I really miss the old days, with fun games and zombies... Next year- more zombies and chapter FOUR.)
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Laraqua »

For those characters who don't speak German, remember to declare to other PCs that you're speaking English, as the default assumption in the Berlin section is that you're speaking German.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

I have played Junta once and it was very funny. But it is actually a version with more humour of the father of all games: Diplomacy.
Milly LeCrique
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Milly LeCrique »

Welcome Syrinx/Francesca. It'll be nice to have another "girl" in the group.

Milly/Gaffer
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Welcome to the group Syrinx!
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

By the way, earlier in this Chit-Chat we posted introductions of ourselves and a little bit about us. Just letting the new players know. Feel free to read over who we are, perhaps post a bit about yourselves as well.

We also have a couple of questions for the new players that the old ones have already answered.

Q.1: What do you expect from this game?

Q.2: What angles do you hope to explore? What experience are you after? Tell me a bit about what you're hungering for, about what horrors you wish to have revealed...

To bait you into giving a solid answer, I offer 1 skill point for a well-thought out response to each of the above questions. To be sunk wherever you like! (Yes, it don't sound like much but they DO add up - to 2, currently, if you answer both with a solid response. Two overly short or simple responses are worth 1 skill point).

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Let´s see, I´m Dave, ICT-teacher. Hosting a game of my own on the list here. I have a bunch of kids and not as much hours to every day to manage real life and this escapistic joy of gaming. The benefit of gaming like this is the asyncronic possibility. Also logistics are MUCH better like this ;) .
1: What do I expect? A mild dose of the inexpected and possibilities to venture away from a set path. To go slightly mad from the thrill of gaming! To guide my character through whatever is thrown at her. (Oddly I get to pick girlz...) I don´t mind different paces in a game - as long as it´s not dead in the water.

2: The experience should be that of a game that actually flows along by itself. The characters can interact and create situations beyond the obvious lines of thought of our dear ms Keeper.

That about sums it up! Thanks for allowing a dreaming man to participate.
TVblog

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

And, yes, Molly, I´ll try to balance the cast. Way too many goons there :shock:
TVblog

John Gaunt
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by John Gaunt »

Magnus resembles that remark!
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

There are three female NPCs though.

And we all know Magnus wants further femaleness.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

My characters tend to be more or less evenly distributed between male and female. Actually, I think slightly more of them are male than female, though it may seem the opposite since several of the games where I play male characters have fallen apart. It's always good to have at least one female PC in the mix.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Well, I usually choose to have more males (and a dog-poor Max!), but they have the tendencies of having short lives (by their death or the games are abandoned by the keepers), so only the females survive (like with Agnes and the two Mels).
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by SuAside »

hey Syrinx, at what level do you teach ICT? and if it's higher education, what's your area of expertise?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

No area of expertise here, I´m teaching 5th graders how to use the computer properly in school. To send emails and use popular science pages on the web. Creating dreamweaver web pages and stuff. Don´t want to let the regular teachers to do that. They let the kids 'play' with their computers.
So you can say I´m learning them to be efficient when working in school and play with the computer when they get home. On my bachelor´s degree in teaching it says ICT-teacher for pre-school and elementary school :shock:
Suaside, are you also teaching something?
TVblog

SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by SuAside »

nah, i'm a SysAdmin for a SaaS company. though i've thought about teaching at some point in time, but never went through with it.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

One interview down! One to go! I had to do my Clinical Masters degree interview on Monday (whew!) and now I have an Organizational Psych Masters degree interview. The problem is, there's a presentation I'm meant to put on tomorrow ... and I ... well, I only found out about it last Thursday. That's right, I only heard I was meant to put on a presentation about a piece of research I did, namely the Honours Project, on Thursday. Ain't university a charmer? Ah well, I think I aced the Clinical Masters one and that's the main one I want. The Organizational Psychology degree is my back-up plan. Hopefully I get into one, at least.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Just a head's up. I'll be on holiday from the 20th December to around the 21st or 22nd of January. So I won't be able to do any posts in that time.

Milly LeCrique
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by Milly LeCrique »

Milly hopes to be home and snug in bed by then. :)

Return to “465 : 19.375”